PDA

View Full Version : How often to feed

Neely
08-28-2014, 05:45 AM
I've had 2 squirrels since they were a week old, feeding fv, they've been eating 2 ccs every 3 hrs, they are 3 weeks now and not very hungry, peeing and pooping normally, should I switch to every 4 hrs? They are gaining weight 36 and 42 grams now they gain at least 2 grams everyday; bellies appear full, they just aren't as interested in eating as usual.

Neely
08-28-2014, 05:49 AM
Here is the male, I can see his milk line clearly

Neely
08-28-2014, 05:54 AM
Here's the female

ALittleNutty
08-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Since they are taking in around 5% I would continue with every 3 hours. You might want to try changing the temp of their formula, some like it warm and others like it nearly hot. Potty in the middle of the feeding and again at the end. This usually works two ways, one it makes room for the food and it tends to wake them up. It really just sounds like you have a couple of very cute sleepyheads. :grin3 I have 3 about that age. The smallest one is a struggle to feed. It takes about 20 minutes to get just 2 cc's in her.

Neely
08-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Ok, thank you, they are sleepy heads too, I've already noticed the female likes hers really warm and stops eating when it starts to cool and I put her syringe back in the warm water and get her another, I pull up 3 syringes at a time so she has a warm one, the male doesn't care. She falls asleep during potty time every single time!

ALittleNutty
08-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Ok, thank you, they are sleepy heads too, I've already noticed the female likes hers really warm and stops eating when it starts to cool and I put her syringe back in the warm water and get her another, I pull up 3 syringes at a time so she has a warm one, the male doesn't care. She falls asleep during potty time every single time!

Believe me they will get to the point you can not get it too them fast enough, lol! I used to put syringes in warm water too but sometimes the nipple will pop off and water will dilute the formula due to the different temps. I put the formula in a shot glass in a cup of warm water. I just ordered an inversion heater to keep the cup of water warm but many use a cup warmer. A lot of figuring these little ones out is trial and error to find just what their preference is. They are just like kids, a lot of similarities but each one is unique in many ways.

Neely
08-28-2014, 12:23 PM
The potty break in the middle was the motivation they needed! Thank you so much :-)

ALittleNutty
08-28-2014, 12:26 PM
The potty break in the middle was the motivation they needed! Thank you so much :-)

You are most welcome! Glad to help and glad they are eating more. :grin2