PDA

View Full Version : Paralyzed Squirrels

Fireweed
08-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Post information, tips, ideas, links.
Ask questions.
Share what's worked for you and your squirrel.
Discuss anything on the topic of:
Paralyzed Squirrels.

Please refrain from posting photos unless they relate to the topic. Off-topic posts and pics will be deleted.

Chickenlegs
08-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Any suggestions on treating urine scald. Parker seems to have developed quite a case just today. When I gave him his bath this evening I noticed the area around his penis is pretty red. I'm currently using A&D ointment. In the best of all worlds, that skin would be dry. I powder him before applying the ointment to make sure it's dry but a day of scooting around in a plastic tub rubs it off. He's on fleece so maybe that's not as absorbent as it needs to be. I am making him a bunch of flannel peepee pads. If I could be sure he wasn't licking it, I'd use Destine. Can you use lanolin? Any kind of wash I could wipe him down with several times a day?

Shewhosweptforest
08-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Any suggestions on treating urine scald. Parker seems to have developed quite a case just today. When I gave him his bath this evening I noticed the area around his penis is pretty red. I'm currently using A&D ointment. In the best of all worlds, that skin would be dry. I powder him before applying the ointment to make sure it's dry but a day of scooting around in a plastic tub rubs it off. He's on fleece so maybe that's not as absorbent as it needs to be. I am making him a bunch of flannel peepee pads. If I could be sure he wasn't licking it, I'd use Destine. Can you use lanolin? Any kind of wash I could wipe him down with several times a day?

How about medicated Vaseline...the A and D is basically Vaseline ...but the medicated really helps heal raw areas...I just don't know about the licking...I'm pretty sure there isn't any zinc in it.....I put it on my son's mouth when he was young...he had a terrible habit of sucking his bottom lip in...it would get worse, because the more it hurt the more he licked...well, I'd put that on his bottom lip and chin at night and in the morning the skin would look completely healed. So it may be worth a try...I'm sure my son ingested it :eek Also I wonder if you could make him one of the kilts SammysMom makes out of tape (tape that only stick to it's self) that would keep him from dragging himself :dono he could be getting a type of rug burn....plastic burn :eek poor baby :grouphug

Chickenlegs
08-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Urine is alkaline? If so would a very mild vinegar wash help--sort of counteract the effects of alkaline burn. Oh where is that life science stuff I learned sooooo long ago! I'm going to check out the old peoples dept at CVS. Surely there's something for folks that don't have much mobility. I've moved the babies into the squirrel room so I'm in there more--keep him company doncha know!

lilidukes
08-22-2014, 05:36 AM
Silvadene cures urine scald VERY quickly and is a MUST have
with a paralyzed squirrel!!!!!

Dip rear end into water limit soap, dry, and apply Silvadene.
The urine scald will cause hair loss which after the scald heals
is kinda helpful for keeping them dryer.

Fireweed
08-22-2014, 11:52 AM
I second the silvadene! You only need a tiny amount.

I also never use soap when bathing them. I find soap dries their skin too much.

Definitely get the paralyzed squee off fleece because the pee just sits on top of the fleece and the squirrel will lie or move through the pee making everything worse. :shakehead

Fireweed
08-22-2014, 01:57 PM
I wanted to add that I try to bathe my squirrel as soon as I notice a problem (I check frequently). This is why I think I don't need to use any soap. :dono When I first got Salix I bathed her with no soap at least 3 times a day. Now, maybe once or twice a week. No problems so far.
However, I have used soap in the past when the squirrel has lain in pee for too long or is constantly laying in pee. After a while, you can start to tell when scalding is taking place. :thumbsup

Chickenlegs
09-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Me again. I put Parker in the playpen. He had no quality of life in the hospital cage. He's happier and climbs around but I think he's grooming himself way too much. His poor fur is looking REALLY ratty!