PDA

View Full Version : Outisde play?

Hart75
04-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Chip is about 10-11 wks old. I'm just wondering, if is is safe to take him outside to play? I have taken him out in the past, but he's so much more mobile now. I would like to, but I'm afraid he'll run up a tree and not want to come down. Or, would he come down when he hungry?

Here is a pic of him climbing on my arbor. This was the last time I took him outside. He seemed nervous, but then enjoyed and started running all over my arbor. Then, I got nervous that I wouldn't be able to catch him and took him inside.
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t163/garnetgirl29/Squirrel%20Pics/April173.jpg

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
04-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Do you have a cage you can put him in to take him outdoors?
Can you move his indoor cage outside with him in it? I used to slide my squirrels outside with them in their cage and they enjoyed the sun everyday for a few hours.
He is to young to be out without the protection of a cage, thinking hawks & cats plus like you said he may get away!! :dono By the way he is a handsome guy!

Hart75
04-26-2007, 10:50 AM
His cage is too heavy for me to carry it outside. My only option there would be to use my dog crate, but it is small, so he wouldn't have much room.

Squerly
04-26-2007, 02:12 PM
What are your long term plans for Chip?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=63830#post63830

Hart75
04-27-2007, 04:02 PM
I talked to my bf about building him an outside cage & he's going to give that a try. The indoor cage is just way too heavy to move it around.

My plans are to release him when he's ready.

Buddy'sMom
04-27-2007, 09:41 PM
If you are going to release Chip yourself, he will need a large cage with a nestbox in it so he can get used to being outside, and then have someplace to live until he builds or finds another nest.

There are release cage pictures scattered around TSB, some of which I collected here (along with nestbox pictures): http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4362 (I have intended to search for some of the others, but haven't found the time yet )

Also, there are two threads showing the cage that Skwerls-R-Soft has for Skipper: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...hlight=skipper And another (scroll down for his outdoor cage): http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...hlight=skipper

Hope this helps!

Oh, yeah -- about the outside play -- I agree that you won't be able to trust him to stay or come. We (and several others) had squirrels of about that age run like lightning up a tree and then decide not to come down right away. Or take off in the direction of the street. (We had brought Buddy outside when he was younger -- and afraid of the grass, so he didn't really go too far, but then he got older and braver ....)

Using the dog crate for a little while each day would give him a chance to get used to the sights and sounds and smells (it may take SOME getting used to!) -- as long as it's for a short period, it would be OK if it's a small space (he may cower in one place anyway). If it's a wire crate, he would be able to get some sunshine that way, too. Then he can get his exercise when he goes back inside.

pamela lee
04-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I made the mistake of taking my Peanut out before he was old enough, I thought he would stay with me. Something spooked him and he shot-up a very tall pecan tree, once he was up there he seemed to scared to come back down. This was in December on the first night we were to have a hard freeze. I sat under that tree all night begging and crying for Peanut to come down but he would'nt move. My DH still teases me about how crazy I looked standing under that tree with my spot-light comforting a squirrel. The next day I moved his cage out there and went inside. I had to get some coffee I was frozen. By the time a got back out there he was in his cage, we were both totally exhausted. Now that I read over this I guess I do sound pretty crazy, Oh well. Just be carefull when letting your baby out.

MaiThiJade
05-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I try to let Tommy out everyday, and when I place hime only five feet away from the house he runs and jumps right on my leg. Or even on a small peach tree I have out front only 10 feet away from house he quickly jumps down and runs toward me or his trusted wicked bench. Like he says..."please don't leave me"... I would like for Tommy to be free, but now that I have had him for over 5 weeks. I don't know if he will be able to survive. I will do more research.

Buddy'sMom
05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Just a caution that during ONE of the outside visits, Tommy WILL get braver or will be spooked by something and will run in another direction. You may not be able to catch him ... or steer him away from the street ... or coax him back. At Tommy's age, it really is best to only take him outside in a cage or enclosure -- for his safety and for your peace of mind. :) In a cage, he can get used to the sights and sounds of outdoors (and also get some sunshine) -- while still being safe.

There is a process for releasing them outside at the proper age (not until 16 weeks or so, give or take). It's called "soft release" and there are other threads on that (and also descriptions in the articles linked in first ("sticky") thread the Baby ABCs forum). Once you see the basics, then come and ask lots of questions (as all the rest of us have :D ) and you will get lots of help. :grouphug