PDA

View Full Version : Oh No.... EMERGENCY

Mel
04-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Okay.

Well, we figured out recently the squirrel somehow broke his tail.

He is now chewing it off entirely... I think the tail may be "dead"..

It's very very bad... I would take pics but our camera is broke...

what should we do? Is this nature taking it's course, and will it heal? A vet contacted us and said it would heal by itself probabbly... and if it got infecxted we should call a vet.

He started chewing about 3 days ago but we thought he might just be itching or something... until we saw it today...

please help asap...

squirrelfriend
04-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Is this a squirrel in captivity or an outdoor squirrel? Can you describe the tail? Is it a little blasckened and dry at the end?

island rehabber
04-25-2007, 06:41 PM
It is, unfortunately, nature taking its course. If this is a pet squirrel hopefully you can keep a close watch on the stump and make sure there is no infection over the next few days.

squirrelfriend
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
does the tail have a crusty skin look to it? does the hair fall out easily or has it already fallen out? How is the rest of the body, fur and skin? any parasites?

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-25-2007, 06:42 PM
Is the squirrel chewing off its ENTIRE tail, or just the tip? If just the tip is dead he will probably be fine. My baby squirrel Zippy lost her tail tip and there has been no troubles. I would be concerned about infection, etc if it is the entire tail though.

squirrelfriend
04-25-2007, 06:44 PM
I had one before that had a damaged tail when I first ogt her. the very tip turned real dry and blackened a bit. I didn't see her chew it off but it did sort of dry up and flake off a little at a time. no infection or problems.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-25-2007, 06:56 PM
That is how it was with Zippy's tail. The whole dead tip fell off at once though. No problems at all with it (a lot of worrying by me, but it was just find).

Mel
04-25-2007, 09:12 PM
He is chewing about 1 inch from the base of the tail.. It isnt real crusty but where it is coming unconnected it looks just like pale skin... like its crsuty aroun d where he ischewing but not where it is coming off.

Mel
04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
captivity.. and we are planning to release it still if possible:thankyou

thundersquirrel
04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
hmm...

i wouldn't worry unless the self-mutilation continues. you can't stop the squirrel from chewing off it's own tail. it's unfortunate that the tail will be so short, but i think it'll be alright in the wild. you'll want to get some bacitracin creme and rub it on the end to prevent infection.

Secret Squirrel
04-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I suggest you get him to a vet.....infection can set in pretty quick. And if the vet decides to amputate where the squirrel is chewing, then it will help the squirrel to relax and quit fretting over his broken tail. Do you have a vet????
Also squirrels can live a normal live without a tail. They still climb and jump from branch to branch with no problems. I have a adult female with no tail and she rules our yard. She looks like a fat hampster!!!! Too funny!!! Hre name is "Momma squirrel" ....sorry MS!!!http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1325&stc=1&d=1152491754

ravenlaws32
04-27-2007, 01:07 AM
I suggest you get him to a vet.....infection can set in pretty quick. And if the vet decides to amputate where the squirrel is chewing, then it will help the squirrel to relax and quit fretting over his broken tail. Do you have a vet????
Also squirrels can live a normal live without a tail. They still climb and jump from branch to branch with no problems. I have a adult female with no tail and she rules our yard. She looks like a fat hampster!!!! Too funny!!! Hre name is "Momma squirrel" ....sorry MS!!!http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1325&stc=1&d=1152491754

oh cool SS she looks like anutria lol. cute pic . :thankyou

halo
04-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I successfully released a squirrel without a tail. When he was a baby his tail got injured when he fell from the nest. From what I heard it is still around and that has been over a year. Vet says they can survive just fine! :thumbsup

Spring is a great time to release one since there is alot of food source and warmth.

~Halo~

Mel
04-30-2007, 08:53 PM
Okay will post pics in one min.. but I was wondering if he will be okay because he doesnt really know how to"forage" and will he be like accepted into a territory?