PDA

View Full Version : Hand Warmers

thundersquirrel
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
does anyone ever use hand warmers for their babies?

my mother and i only recently started using them, and they're excellent when you need fast heat for a baby. we buy them at a sports center. ironically, most people who use them are hunters. hehehe.

they're just little packets of balled-up stuff, and you rub them for a minute or so to get them going. once they get going though, man o man, they are HOT. it's a miracle.

they're pretty cheap (about 50 cents per) but they're seasonal. they only usually sell them in the winter.

Mars
04-24-2007, 09:38 PM
It has come down to that's all I use. Garbber carries them in 6, 12 or 24 hour pads. They also have a rehabber's special pricing progam if you contact the company directly. You may need to partner with another rehabber to make the purchase for the smallest unit is case. Each case contains 6 boxes which each contain 30 pads. I love them. I keep them stashed in the car and at work.

rehabmom
04-25-2007, 08:11 PM
the hand warmers are great but make sure use them where they can get plenty of air.i used one one time on a baby mouse and put it in a small box so that the wind would not get on the baby. i lost the baby due to no air. i felt really bad.i had air hole but it still didn't get enough.

rehabmom

Guardian
01-24-2008, 11:42 PM
When I was using hand warmers to keep my Northern warm, I wrapped them in a 'tiny pillowcase' of fleece. That way Jack could not lay directly on the handwarmer but still be warm.

island rehabber
01-25-2008, 07:43 AM
They are fantastic -- great to keep in your "car rehab kit" as well, for when you go and pick up critters who need warmth, fast! I get mine at Costco whenever they have them -- very inexpensive that way. :thumbsup

luvs squirrels
01-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I used them for Sammy when he got sick. The ones I bought were from Wal-Mart and they were the larger size - they're called super hot hands hand & body warmer. They last up to 18 hours. They come in a three pack and were less than $2.00!

:Love_Icon

chrissy.hpr
01-04-2009, 01:35 AM
i use them when I go somewhere with intentions on staying there for hours at a time and don't have access to heating pad, it keeps my little 4 week old warm and snug:)

lillysmom
01-04-2009, 09:23 AM
they are awesome..
I got mine at Walmart.. $1.29 for a 4-pack..
I put them under half of the little cage I had for my pinky squirrel

muffinsquirrel
01-04-2009, 10:10 AM
You can get them that last for 60 hours!!!

muffinsquirrel

pinky momma
03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
I use them in my travel rehab kit... They work really good if someone brings you a baby and you are out and won't be home for a while..... Also when power goes out.....

Mads
03-28-2009, 08:09 AM
You can get them that last for 60 hours!!!

muffinsquirrel

Yeah, I order the 60 hour ones from Squirrelsandmore.com for 2.50 , and , they do last over the 60 hours. I make little fleece pillow cases to put them in and they are great ...especially if you need to travel. My first group of babies, I was really driving myself mad trying to keep them warm enough, I was using hot water packs, and they would quickly need reheating all day...it was a huge stress for me the first 2 weeks figuring it all out. I feel like a pro this time around with my little heat packs always on hand, and I now have a heat mat as well.

Anne
04-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Love the hand warmers, one of the greats things going. Mads, where did you find the heating mat? Sounds great for larger animals, or a whole litter of babies.

island rehabber
04-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Hand warmers are awesome. The first day I had Tzipi, we had to take a 3-hr car trip each way to look at some equipment for the marina. I used a 36-hr warmer and she was SO toasty -- I almost worried it was too hot in there! Just always be careful to allow air to circulate where you are using the warmers -- they suck up oxygen.