PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel Size

lazarus_04
04-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Hey there! I'm raising to orphaned baby squirrels that we found in a parking lot. The thing is, I don't know if they actually come from the same litter. One of them is a big fella, gray/brown, eats alot and is VERY active, especially after being fed. The other is small and black, sleeps ALOT, does'nt eat much and is still kind of gangly and awkward if you know what I mean. Now, granted the little black one is almost half the size of his brother, but they seem to be the same age; fully fured, eyes open, both eating solids, both their tails are starting to fluff out. I'd pegged them at about 6 weeks give or take. Could the little one just be the runt of the litter?:thinking I'm a bit worried because he eats less and is less active than his buddy whom I call Mr. Big. Trust me, the name fits :rotfl . Could my little blackie be sick? Stunted growth? No from the same litter?

Gabe
04-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Sounds like the little one needs some extra help. He may need heat in the form of a heating pad if he is not getting it already. I usually consider pneumonia when they don't have a good appetite and sleep alot. Is there a rehabber near you that you can take the little guy to?

island rehabber
04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree with Gabe....sometimes a "failure to thrive" baby, one who doesn't keep up in growth and development with his siblings, has pneumonia or a parasitic disease. I would definitely cntact a rehabber who could bring the little one to a wildlife vet.

lazarus_04
04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
Good news! The little guy's been pretty energetic today, jumping around his cage, climbing the walls, exploring around when I let them both out. And he's catching up to his big brother in terms of feeding too. Maybe he was still zonked out from hunger and dehydration? I only got them three days ago. He isn't making clicking sounds. The nearest rehab center is over an hour away and I don't want to stress them out if I don't have to. Could it be that he's just a runt? :dono

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-24-2007, 03:45 PM
You may have an at home rehabber closer to your house that could take the little guys. Some will even come and pick them up (I know I would go pick anything up if only someone would call).

lazarus_04
04-24-2007, 07:17 PM
I know there are at home rehabers, the problem is finding them. :thinking Well, for know I will keep an eye on him. I beleive he might be from a different litter or just a runt. He seems perfectly fine apart from the fact that he's a little small. Hehe, my little runt! :Love_Icon

Thanks for all the help guys! :crazy

lazarus_04
04-24-2007, 07:27 PM
Umm, I have another question if you guys don't mind me asking...My dad went looking for zupreem monkey biscuits or rodent block but couldn't find any. The attendant there gave him something called extrusion food? I don't want to give them any until I'm sure that its good for them. If it isn't I'll just go get some purina dog chow tomorrow.o what do you experts think? :)

:thankyou

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&Category_id=1429&CFID=6638658&CFTOKEN=44597953
you can order it right here from this link!
He needs fresh veggies, he can have plain cheerios, some fruits, a small amount of nuts.
The baby still needs formula which you can get at petsmart Esbilac, powdered puppy formula.

Buddy'sMom
04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
... The attendant there gave him something called extrusion food?....

Rodent block is manufactured by extruding and one of the brands is sold in pet stores -- what else does the label say? What brand is it and the name of the product? You may already have what you need.

:Welcome , by the way!

Buddy'sMom
04-24-2007, 09:51 PM
OK, maybe more information will help you -- There have been some other threads talking about the brands -- here is the basic information:

"Rodent Block" looks like little nuggets. It is sold in pet stores under various brands, such as: Kaytee Forti-diet for rats, hampsters. Mazuri. Fiesta. LM.

A picture of the Kaytee package is below.

If none of this helps identify what you have, let us know what the package says. :)

lazarus_04
04-24-2007, 11:56 PM
Aye, there's the rub, Buddy'sMom. My dad didn't buy a package. The attendant gave him a sample to try in a little envelope. There's absolutely nothing at all about what it is :dono ...it looks almost exactly like the zupreem primate dry that rippie-n-lilgirlsmom linked to. (Thanks by the way!) The food is more oval than round like the zupreem, and it smells like...well it smells almost like esbilac...:) There's nothing for it! I'm going to have to go back to the store and see what this stuff is exactly. *grumble grumble* Well at least I've been getting alot of exercise, biking to all these places. :rotfl If push comes to shove, I'll just buy the purina dog chow.:D

:thankyou :thankyou :thankyou

Buddy'sMom
04-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Maybe call first and get as much info as you can? Product and manufacturer, at least. Ingredients and %s, if they have that info (they might not, if they get it in bulk. Then you/we could check via Internet to see if it is the same as/similar to the US brands we are more familiar with.

Of course, exercise is good, too ..... :)

lazarus_04
04-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Yep, I'm gonna do some more of that exercise in a few. Going back to the store to get the actual package. :D

I have finally got a) names, and b) pictures of my two guys though.

Here's Keegan, formerly known as Mr. Big.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/lazarus04/IMG_0149.jpg

And the runt, Kieran.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/lazarus04/IMG_0157.jpg

Buddy'sMom
04-25-2007, 02:51 PM
They are both quite adorable!! :Love_Icon :Love_Icon