PDA

View Full Version : Teething

MommaMelly
04-17-2006, 08:41 PM
My little Butter Bean's top teeth are starting to come in (proud mommy!) She seems to try to chew a lot with them now. When I pick her up she likes to chew on the tips of my fingers. I doubt that its a good idea to let her do that because I don't want her to think that it's okay for her to bite.

I have noticed that she has been chewing on her front paws a bit too. She hasn't caused any damage to them yet, but I don't want it to escalate. Should I put something in her box with her for her to chew on??

Any advice would be great thanks!
~Melly~

thundersquirrel
04-17-2006, 10:08 PM
she is so young, i think it's more of a sucking habit than a chewing habit. there's really nothing for them to chew on at this stage of their lives.

how often are you feeding her? sucking means she wants to get food out of something. you know she's full if her belly feels like a slightly deflated balloon. at her age, she should eat less at every feeding but she should be fed rather often.

i suppose if she IS teething, though, you could give her half of a walnut. walnuts are soft but fun for baby squirrels to shred as they move from formula to harder foods. just make sure it's a total half of a walnut, cause she could choke on a smaller piece. :nono

MommaMelly
04-18-2006, 06:31 AM
she is so young, i think it's more of a sucking habit than a chewing habit. there's really nothing for them to chew on at this stage of their lives.

how often are you feeding her? sucking means she wants to get food out of something. you know she's full if her belly feels like a slightly deflated balloon. at her age, she should eat less at every feeding but she should be fed rather often.

i suppose if she IS teething, though, you could give her half of a walnut. walnuts are soft but fun for baby squirrels to shred as they move from formula to harder foods. just make sure it's a total half of a walnut, cause she could choke on a smaller piece. :nono

:thankyou
Thanks for the advice. It could just be that she is sucking and I'm just feeling those little chompers when she does. Do squirels even teethe?
Should I wait until her eyes open to give her the walnut, or do you think it would be safe now?

I have been feeding her about every 4 hours. She has started sucking down about 6-9ccs at every feeding, her appetite has declined a bit in the past couple of days though. I am glad to know that this is normal because I was starting to get a little worried!:ohthedrama

Secret Squirrel
04-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Hey Momma,

I wouldnt give her any solid food if her eyes are still closed. I may have misunderstood about how old she is! If her eyes are still closed than she is under 5 weeks old.

MommaMelly
04-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Actually she opened one of her eyes today. (sooo cute) There is a pic in the introduce yourself thread.

Her upper teeth have definitely come in! And she already has quite a bite. I am sure you can guess how I figured this out!

Someone suggested maybe a small twig or branch in her box with her. Whatdayathink??:dono

Secret Squirrel
04-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Tree branches are good. I also get a few chunks of bark for them to gnaw on.
Zupreem primate biscuits are a good way to introduce food, they are full of all the good stuff squirrels needs. At first they just make a mess chewing the biscuits (Or you can use rodent block instead) up.
I have soaked the primate biscuits in formula when they start to really ingest the food. The lil guys love it!! :crazyI also put deer antlers in the cage and they have just started chewing on those (10 weeks old) it's a great and natural source of calcium.:crazy
I get some of my supplies like the Zupreem Primate and deer antlers from
Chris's store (nutz4squirrels)

MommaMelly
04-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Thanks Rebecca. I think she is taking pretty well to the little branch so far!

I saw on a website (squirreltales) that you should give them the primate food, but the rehabber that I have been talking with told me to start giving her cereal. :dunno
i heard elsewhere that this could be dangerous. I think I will be safe and order the primate chow for now. ;)

BuckeyeSqrl
04-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree with SS. Deer antlers are a big plus for them. Also, on the diet suggestions.

Pass on the cereal. I've never used it and have never heard that it is good.

Kristi

MommaMelly
04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks Kristi-

I wouldn't think cereal would be to great of an idea. The lady I talked to even suggested I use fruit loops!?:nono
I am glad I asked here first before I gave her anything!

I bought the primate chow and deer antler pieces off the website last night. I am sure she will tear right into it, with the way she has been gnawing on the branch I gave her!

BuckeyeSqrl
04-19-2006, 02:14 PM
You wonder where some rehabbers get their info....

That's great you ordered the good stuff from Chris! Keep us posted on her progress!

muffinsquirrel
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
I think the lady you talked to IS a fruit loop! She's definately a few acorns short of an Oak tree!

muffinsquirrel

MommaMelly
04-19-2006, 04:59 PM
I think the lady you talked to IS a fruit loop! She's definately a few acorns short of an Oak tree!

muffinsquirrel

LOL!! I agree!
:skwredup