PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Teeth?

Gabrielle
06-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Hello Everyone,
It's me again. One of my girls, Scrat needs her teeth trimmed. I remember seeing the "How To" on here at one point but can not find that information now. My internet access is very limited so I am going to give my cell phone on here and will be aval to answer after 4pm MST. I just want to make sure I don't trim them to short and what do I need to watch for or be careful of when I do it.
Originally I thought she may have a different issue with her health but last night I was able to get a good look at her mouth and it is her front teeth, they are preventing her from eating properly which is why she is not herself these past few days. She is 4yrs old and I can do a lot with her in handling her. This is the first time I have had to trim her teeth, in the past she has always kept them wore down herself and I have not had to worry about it.

On a side note, the 4 babies I had last year have been released into the wild and are all doing very well, they have all had their first litters this past spring. I have tons of pics but no internet at my house so not able to post them. My boss is being nice and letting me use the internet here at work to find out about the teeth trimming.

My cell phone is (605) 877-0115 and will be aval after 4pm MST.

Thank you for any help you all can be to me in this issue. This forum has been a life saver (literally) in the past for me.

Thank you,

Gabrielle

Gabrielle
06-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Ok in reading past "teeth" posts I am hearing everyone talk about trimming the bottom teeth, it is her top teeth that are the issue and she is a Foxer so yes they are huge thick. Her bottom front teeth are fine, it is her top teeth that are causing the issue.

Thank you,
Gabrielle

TubeDriver
06-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Ok in reading past "teeth" posts I am hearing everyone talk about trimming the bottom teeth, it is her top teeth that are the issue and she is a Foxer so yes they are huge thick. Her bottom front teeth are fine, it is her top teeth that are causing the issue.

Thank you,
Gabrielle

Can you post a picture of her teeth?

Gabrielle
06-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Can you post a picture of her teeth?

When I get home, I have a friend meeting me who has trimmed rabbits teeth, with his phone maybe but will have to figure out to access my account here on his phone first. My cell is a dumb smart phone and will not allow me to email from it. If not, if you could call me I could describe them to you, but that may be the best I can do. I am running to Wal-Mart to pick up a a couple of possible needed things, would rather be prepared than not. So I should be home and ready to deal with this by 6pm. I have to go now or that time line wont matter.

There use to be a "instruction" page on teeth trimming on here but it was about 2 or 3 yrs ago that I seen it. Wish I could find it, wish I had printed it out. I have been dreading this ordeal since I found out about the care of squirrels and had been very grateful that it was not an issue up to now.

Again, my cell ph.# 605-877-0115, it will most likely be my only way of communicating with the outside world once I am home.

Thank you,

Gabrielle

SammysMom
06-12-2014, 05:18 PM
You can text a pic to me at (203) 214-7427 and I will post it for you.:thumbsup

TubeDriver
06-12-2014, 06:01 PM
If you trim tonight, ERR ON THE SIDE OF NOT TRIMMIMG ENOUGH. THAT IS MUCH, MUCH BETTER THAN TRIMMING TOO MUCH OFF.

Trimming off too much tooth can lead to potentially lethal results.

When I get home, I have a friend meeting me who has trimmed rabbits teeth, with his phone maybe but will have to figure out to access my account here on his phone first. My cell is a dumb smart phone and will not allow me to email from it. If not, if you could call me I could describe them to you, but that may be the best I can do. I am running to Wal-Mart to pick up a a couple of possible needed things, would rather be prepared than not. So I should be home and ready to deal with this by 6pm. I have to go now or that time line wont matter.

There use to be a "instruction" page on teeth trimming on here but it was about 2 or 3 yrs ago that I seen it. Wish I could find it, wish I had printed it out. I have been dreading this ordeal since I found out about the care of squirrels and had been very grateful that it was not an issue up to now.

Again, my cell ph.# 605-877-0115, it will most likely be my only way of communicating with the outside world once I am home.

Thank you,

Gabrielle

SammysMom
06-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Gabrielle is going to text pics when she gets home. I will post them here for people to comment on.:thumbsup

SammysMom
06-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Just got these pics... Opinions?

SammysMom
06-12-2014, 07:39 PM
These teeth look very much the same as Roxy's did when I had her. She had MBD. This girl does not eat rodent block, but has calcium of some kind sprinkled on her food. I am trying to find out what the calcium is. Personally, I would do the MBD treatment on both squirrels and add the blocks. Anyone else have thoughts before I go to that treatment with her?

TubeDriver
06-12-2014, 08:14 PM
These teeth look very much the same as Roxy's did when I had her. She had MBD. This girl does not eat rodent block, but has calcium of some kind sprinkled on her food. I am trying to find out what the calcium is. Personally, I would do the MBD treatment on both squirrels and add the blocks. Anyone else have thoughts before I go to that treatment with her?

Doing the MBD protocol is virtually never going to harm a squirrel so no issues with starting it. Too much calcium has its own set of harmful effects but if the diet it not great that is probably not a problem.

The top teeth look too long and need to be trimmed. I would start with trimming about 30% off. Leave a little more than half intact. Part of the reason I would err on a conservative trimming is just in case there is splintering, being conservative means less chance of root damage. If the trimming goes well and the trimmer tool works well, a slightly more aggresive trimmimg could be done the next time if needed.

TubeDriver
06-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Any updates? MBD protocol started yet?:wave123

farrelli
06-13-2014, 10:15 AM
We've seen thousands of squirrels on here and that one does seem to need help. I really hope you've followed the recommendations for the tooth trimming, getting a quality squirrel block, and starting the MBD protocol. We see so many people ignore this advice and then come back later when they convulsing and dieing. I hope you're not one of those folks who always thinks they know better. Please give us an update. We worry.

SammysMom
06-13-2014, 11:46 AM
Got a text that the teeth were trimmed very successfully to the length her sisters teeth are. She was eating soft does and drinking on her own, do it appears she is on the mend:thumbsup

TubeDriver
06-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Got a text that the teeth were trimmed very successfully to the length her sisters teeth are. She was eating soft does and drinking on her own, do it appears she is on the mend:thumbsup

Great! :thumbsup

Gabrielle
06-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Contrary to what was posted regarding the diet of my girls, they do get the correct cal and they do get the squirrel blocks and their diet is not conclusive to producing MBD. I have successfully rehab 4 out of the 8 squirrels that have come to me. And I have dealt with a case of MBD in an adult captive bred and raised foxer, he came to me with MBD and I successfully treated it. I am not ignorant to the diet requirements of my babies and I do accommodate it as well as provide more than half their diet from the woods as the wild foxers here live on. I am lucky that I live in an area that has plenty to harvest food natural to their diet.

And yes, as a result of the teeth issue, she does now have MBD and I am treating for it. She is getting better little by little and will be seeing the vet again tomorrow. However, I would again like to point out her MBD is not result of a bad diet provided by me, it is a result of the teeth issue. I started treating for MBD before I even looked at her teeth, it was not until the cal treatment was not working that thought about maybe being her teeth. Moving forward, I will keep a closer eye on the teeth, in the 4 yrs that I have been doing squirrel rehab I have not had to deal with the teeth, squirrels in my care get many options to chew and wear their teeth down and so it has not been an issue til now.

I appreciate the information and help given but perhaps before people on here assume that everyone is ignorant perhaps they should ask.

Thank you,

Gabrielle

amyd30
06-17-2014, 06:09 AM
AGREED... SM is awesome... very helpful and kind.:grin3