PDA

View Full Version : Bottom teeth too long?

Annep
06-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi All! Can you take a look at this photo and tell me if these teeth need to be trimmed or not? Also, if so, at what angle do they need to be filed? Slanted from the front to back or vice versa?

Annep
06-03-2014, 05:29 PM
By the looks of these teeth, how old would you guess him to be? He has been with us for three and a half weeks now. My amateur guess at age for him then was 5 or six weeks because his eyes were open...

Milo's Mom
06-03-2014, 05:52 PM
I just replied to this in your other thread.

Does the squirrel have top teeth? It looks like there might be some little nubs up there, but to be sure I'm asking.

Did you see any irritation on the roof of his mouth?

Any chance you could get some more pics? I'd hate to make a call based on one pic...the angle of the pic can throw lots of stuff off. Know what I mean?

I will tell you I am always shocked when I look at baby teeth. I think they look SOOOOO long and I am forever digging in their mouths looking at the roofs of their mouths. I've even held them upside down while holing their mouths open to take pics of the roofs of their mouths.

As for age, I think it's easier to guesstimate age with a full body shot.

farrelli
06-04-2014, 12:16 AM
Thanks for chiming in on this MM. I know that Annep asked for my opinion in the other thread, but I'm no teeth expert.

Hopefully we'll get better shorts tomorrow. I don;t see any top teeth either. Annep, hopefully you can check the roof of the mouth and let us know. If trimming is necessary, we have peopple here, like MM who do it all the time and can tell you how. Don't do it without instruction though because you can cause harm. Teeth can shatter and even pull out if you do it wrong.

Annep
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Finally... This is the best I can do for you to see his teeth. He has top teeth but they are very tiny as you can hopefully see in the pics. As far as I can tell, the bottom teeth are not causing an abrasion on the roof of his mouth but they do appear to touch it easily.

Now, should I cut these?236636236636236637

Annep
06-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Finally... This is the best I can do for you to see his teeth. He has top teeth but they are very tiny as you can hopefully see in the pics. As far as I can tell, the bottom teeth are not causing an abrasion on the roof of his mouth but they do appear to touch it easily.

Now, should I cut these?236636236637

TubeDriver
06-09-2014, 03:28 PM
I am no tooth expert but helped to treat an adult wild squirrel who had very similar teeth issues. His top teeth were nubs and his bottom teeth were too long. We trimmed his bottom teeth and that allowed his top teeth to grow in. He was released and is doing fine 2 months later.

In those pictures, the top teeth are too short and the bottom teeth are too long BUT I do not know if there is a developmental phase when young squirrels teeth could normally look like this? The orientation of the lower teeth looks fine but he needs more top teeth to balance out his teeth wear. Can you post a full body pic?

Unless some tooth experts feel otherwise, I would be inclined to trim a small amount off the bottom teeth in an effort to try and allow the top teeth to grow in. When trimming teeth, it is very important that you not trim too much, that can lead to major teeth issues. While trimming teeth is not hard, you need the right trimmers, a steady hand, good eye and it really helps to have someone around who has some experience doing this.

Milo's Mom
06-09-2014, 03:47 PM
How old is this squirrel?

I too am thinking along the same lines as TD with the bottoms needing a slight trimming to allow the tops to grow in a bit more.

From what I can see (again agreeing with TD) there does not appear to be a misalignment.

Annep
06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
How old is this squirrel?

I too am thinking along the same lines as TD with the bottoms needing a slight trimming to allow the tops to grow in a bit more.

From what I can see (again agreeing with TD) there does not appear to be a misalignment.

We found him on May 9th. His eyes were open and I believe he had top teeth but he had that baby look to him; big paws and head compared to his body with a skinny unimpressive tail. He was peeing on his own basically, just sporadically but I did try to make sure he went after feedings so he wouldn't get sick. If I had to guess...IMHO...he impresses me as that big baby in the liter who was growing faster than the rest and therefore more adventurous which led to his falling out of the nest. My guess at age when I found him was five weeks based on pics I saw online but he could have been six weeks. So assuming he was 6wks, he is now 10.5wks.

Here's a video we made in the yard yesterday. It may help you determine age by seeing him. His tail is very handsome and I tell him that a lot! He has to be three times bigger than he was when we found him! Keep in mind that he does not walk correctly yet but he is getting better and will be using a homemade devise that a vet/rehaber here on the board recommended to me. Right now I'm just concerned about those teeth because he isn't chewing on much and I think he wants to but can't. My video recording skills are a real bummer...beware. It's a super boring video except for the kids talking about him "trusting you because he pees and poops on you."

http://youtu.be/GOc-uCDyoug

Also, here are two pics of him the day after we found him.

farrelli
06-10-2014, 10:35 AM
This guy is paralyzed, right? I only had time to skip through the video. If he's paralyzed, running off or up a tree isn't as much of a concern as usual, but he still could be grabbed up by a predator. As a rule, we recommend that squirrels never be taken outside. We've just seen SO many instances of it going bad.

Annep
06-10-2014, 10:37 AM
No, he's not paralyzed, he can use and move his fingers, feet and legs, but he doesn't do it well.

farrelli
06-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Well then if he's only a little impaired, he definitely should never be taken outside.

joyceb11
06-10-2014, 10:49 AM
I didn’t think that video was boring at all! very cute how your kids love him. But I totally agree with Farrelli, he should not be taken out side at all, as he gets older he will be able to move a lot faster and I would hate for some thing to happen to this sweet little guy. It only takes a split second for some thing bad to happen.

farrelli
06-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Also, being outside can get their instincts to kick in, and seeing that it looks like he's a NR, that would be bad.

TubeDriver
06-10-2014, 11:21 AM
He is very cute!

Well, at this point he has a long way to go before he can be released (might never happen depending on how much his gait and limbs improve and also depending on how his teeth work out).

I think a teeth trimming is probably needed. There are a couple video clips around that will show how to do it. Better yet, would be a local rehabber who is willing to help and who will not take the squirrel and euthanize it.

You will need:

Two pairs of hands

an old tee shirt to burrito him.

A sharp, strong clipper (very important because the wrong clipper can cause teeth splitting).

A wooden cooking spoon (very useful to hold open his mouth by using the handle)

A file (a small, fine metal nail file works good).

I will draw a line on your pic where I would suggest cutting.

We can get some teeth experts on here to eye ball everything and make sure all these details are correct.

Annep
06-10-2014, 04:46 PM
* TRIMMING QUESTION: What is the correct angle to file them after the trim? Slanted forward or back?

I will NOT take him out anymore! You guys are experienced and I am not...plus, I adore the lil bugger too much to let something happen. Thank you for the advise.

Well, on a different note, I found that giving him pieces of Henry's squirrel blocks BEFORE he gets formula, gets him to eat it! I am so excited about this! I admit I was worried because he never eats the bits I have in his cage. Apparently a fresh bit before formula is the ticket!

I don't know what I would do without this board and all of you! YOU'RE ALL THE BEST!
:Love_Icon::grin2:Love_Icon:thankyou:Love_Icon:gri n2:Love_Icon

TubeDriver
06-11-2014, 07:59 AM
I will post a pic today of where the teeth should be cut. Try for a nice even cut. You can file the backside of the top of the tooth down a bit if needed.

Annep
06-11-2014, 08:35 AM
I will post a pic today of where the teeth should be cut. Try for a nice even cut. You can file the backside of the top of the tooth down a bit if needed.

AH HA! Backside down! Thank you!

TD, I read a bit of your mini-blog here on the board (Squirtles Yard) and I am deeply touched by the love and kindness that you give the squirrels in your area! I was wondering if you've ever rescued and kept a squirrel in your home?

TubeDriver
06-11-2014, 10:53 AM
AH HA! Backside down! Thank you!

TD, I read a bit of your mini-blog here on the board (Squirtles Yard) and I am deeply touched by the love and kindness that you give the squirrels in your area! I was wondering if you've ever rescued and kept a squirrel in your home?

McFatty was inside for a month after a teeth trim. He needed to be inside in order to make sure his teeth reset/regrew properly. He is doing fine several months later outside in the wild again.

TubeDriver
06-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Here is about where I would trim. Certainly not lower, I would err on the side of leaving them to long. Teeth trimmed too short can have potentially deadly results.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/TubeDriver/lowerteethcutline_zps612637df.jpg~original (http://s123.photobucket.com/user/TubeDriver/media/lowerteethcutline_zps612637df.jpg.html)

If you do a search here on TSB, you can find some instructions that will guide you step by step through a trim. Probably the most important thing (beside a good eye and steady hand) is a hi-quality, sharp trimmer. A blunt or weak trimmer will likely cause splintering which can run down into the gum and cause damage to the tooth root.