PDA

View Full Version : We saved a baby grey...

Annep
05-20-2014, 03:32 PM
Hi All! My three kiddos and I were driving down a city street a week and a half ago when my daughter saw a tiny grey sort of flopping and dragging himself near the edge of the road. We jumped out and got him and honestly, I had sort of assumed we would find the worst when we picked him up but he was not bleeding and didn't appear to have injury. Well, he couldn't walk so that is why from a distance we thought the worst. We warmed him and looked up for a nest assuming he had fallen but we couldn't find a nest, nor was there a mom squirrel looming around. We drove him to the nearest vet who told us to call the humane society as they have a unit for this kind of thing. I called from the van and on the robo message they recommend letting the baby sit near the area found so that mom can come and take him home. We drove back, set the little guy in the grass near the trees and watched. He just kept flopping and trying to get around but it was really cold here for this time of year so eventually he stopped and just laid there. We decided to move him to another base of the other nearby oak and wait. This time the little guy actually climbed to about a foot and half and stopped as though he was stuck. We waited as long as we could but one of my kids was in a play and we had to get going so...we took him back home with us to get warm. The next day was a bit warmer so without the kids, I brought him back to the trees and waited for a little over an hour but again no squirrels came around. By this time I was IN LOVE WITH HIM and didn't mind if we had to rehab him. I did wish his mom would have come since that would be best for him but like I said, I, WE, love him!

So the facts are these:
* eyes open when we found him
* top teeth just exposed when we found him
* he was dehydrated but is doing excellent now on Esbilac & cream
* no flees, no broken skin
* all his legs move and seem to work but even now, HE IS NOT ABLE TO WALK IN A STRAIGHT LINE but sort of moves on one side or the other
* He is in a box with cotton and wool bedding with a heating pad under a third, to a quarter, of the box
* he's getting more and more active so I bought him a three foot tall cage on casters yet I'm not sure he's ready for it as he seems really skiddish and scared if I put him on the floor but he likes to roam on the bed in the laundry until he finds a spot to curl up and sleep! Super cute!
* his stools are mustard color and solid
* he has tended to urinate on his own since day one here by just crawling
* I clean him with a warm cloth after every feeding and he LOVES it
* he only wants to eat three times a day about 13 to 18 cc per feeding

My questions for all of you are:
* Should he be able to walk by now?
* could he be injured from a fall or a car and that's why he doesn't walk?
* if he was born disabled, would the mother abandon him?
* when should I put him in his cage?
* I bought him a rat nut block/treat but he isn't chewing it...should he be?
* how much should he be sleeping?
* If he turns out to be fine and can walk, etc., is it okay to build him a weather proof home for the tree next to our deck IF he seems to want to be "free"?
* is it okay to keep him if he seems to be happy?

Anything I should know from all of you experienced folks? I let him sleep on me a lot and he really seems to like that! I will upload a photo of us at some point. Did I mention that I ADORE HIM??? :Love_Icon

Thank you!
Anne

farrelli
05-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Yes to the first three questions.

Can you provide a pic so that we can judge age? A vid would be great for judging movement.

The eating of block depends on the age and type of block. What kind is it?

Sleep amount also depends on age, but generally they sleep a lot when young.

If he turns out OK, there is a whole release process we need to discuss but that doesn't happen until 14 weeks at the earliest. If he is NR (unreleasable), you'll have to keep him, but if he turns out OK, that;s a whole other issue. Some people think that a healthy sq should always be released while others (like me) think that if a squirrel is happy indoors and can be provided an excellent life (good food, enrichment, big cage, lots of out of cage time, etc.) and if the person is totally informed of all the downside (they're destructive, high maintenance, will bite occasionally, need a trusted squirrel sitter for vacations, etc.) and knows that they won't be moving out of the country, radically changing their hours, etc., it just great to keep them. Most will start to get unhappy around adolescence ("wilding up") but it seems to be largely hormonal and will pass in time, but others will not be happy unless they're outside. It's just a whole thing. So, lets see how this little turns out and goes from there.

farrelli
05-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Btw, here is a link to proper feeding technique (head pointed down, syringe pointed up). It's important to avoid aspiration. If you ever hear clicking, we need to know immediately:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?36777-PROPER-FEEDING-TECHNIQUE!!

And here is the healthy diet guide for adults:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

farrelli
05-20-2014, 04:06 PM
One more thing, if you don't have a scale to weigh him, you should get one. It helps figure out how much to feed (5-7% of body weight), how well he's progressing, and what dosage of drugs to give if necessary.

farrelli
05-20-2014, 04:08 PM
Btw, I'm confused about his walking. In some parts of your post I get the notion that he doesn't walk well or straight, but in others that he doesn't walk at all. Can you describe it in detail or post that vid? There are drugs that you might be able to get to help treat paralysis if he's suffering from that.

UDoWhat
05-20-2014, 04:10 PM
:Welcome and thanks for taking this little one in. Most of all we need a weight in grams on him. Weight is one of the most important factors you will need to know to raise your sweet baby one. :Love_Icon I think you may be feeding him too much at one time but I cannot know that until we have a weight on him. They need only approximately 5% of their body weight at each feeding. Over feeding can cause diarrhea. You can get a kitchen scale that weighs in grams at most stores like Target or Walmart.

grampyngramy
05-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Sounds like he may be neuro. But if young enough he may snap out of it. Needs brain development , also I would not keep him caged up. We are with our second neuro squirrel and I think worse thing is being confined. I would let him run just be on the floor with him. Also keep some karo or pure syrup handy, he may have seizures. Either keep in a 1 cc syringe or be ready to rub it on his gums. But honedtly I am no pro but I think running the floors is good for their brains.

Annep
05-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Hi Again! I'm so busy...sorry not to check back sooner. About his walking; it's hard to explain. He doesn't walk but tries when I put him down. I will get a video and post. I also do not have his weight but will get that today as well.

What is this "neuro" that has been mentioned? Is that a thing with squirrels? At times he seems to shiver as if cold and it happens often. Sometimes he does zone out... His head just starts slowly tilting back and it seems like he is watching something on the ceiling moving so yes, I've wondered if there is more to his situation than a bruise. Will he die??? We have a pretty big cage now but I can build him something much much bigger if he stays with us. He's quite a little sweetheart.

CritterMom
05-21-2014, 07:01 PM
Oh, yes, this does sound like neurological damage, your description is very clear. Until the babies get quite old, their heads are big out of proportion to their bodies, and when they fall from the nest, it tends to be head first because of that. The difficulty walking, the zoning out, and the "star gazing" behavior all point that way. It means that it is very, very likely that you have a pet squirrel, as to release one like this would be a death sentence.

But these little ones can have happy lives with their humans if you are willing to take on that responsibility. Frequently they are extra sweet and loving. How "squrrely" he will get depends on many things, but I would give him all kinds of chances. First, hold him and love on him and get him used to being with you. Hold and pet his little feet so that later you can trim his nails. Open his mouth and look at his teeth - you will need to monitor and make sure they wear down properly and it is nice if the squirrel is used to it. Let him have "out" time in SAFE areas - use old comforters and stuff to pad areas. I would wait before building a "final" cage to see what his abilities are.

Would you be able to keep him if his symptoms continue?

grampyngramy
05-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Hi Again! I'm so busy...sorry not to check back sooner. About his walking; it's hard to explain. He doesn't walk but tries when I put him down. I will get a video and post. I also do not have his weight but will get that today as well.

What is this "neuro" that has been mentioned? Is that a thing with squirrels? At times he seems to shiver as if cold and it happens often. Sometimes he does zone out... His head just starts slowly tilting back and it seems like he is watching something on the ceiling moving so yes, I've wondered if there is more to his situation than a bruise. Will he die??? We have a pretty big cage now but I can build him something much much bigger if he stays with us. He's quite a little sweetheart.

Like I ssaid we have our 2nd neurological baby. There may be things that trigger his seizures if he has any. He may run in backwards circles he may flop around, it is scart as hell so be prepared. He may neverhave issues and he may get better. Our first (Butters) really improved except for dog scents and bones woukd send him into fits. I know some may disagree but I fed him little bits of butter as a baby fat for the brain.

grampyngramy
05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
Sorry I have to write in bits sloppy internet see rvice.
I would not think he would die from this. And if he is more normal than neuro he may fix hiself but he could still have things that trigger his spaz spells. Butters actually could climb really well but he did have issues with jumping . He may freak out in big open spaces at first so I would stay near him on the floor. We have a big rug in the living room with shapes and colors and I swear it helps Kazee.

stepnstone
05-22-2014, 02:12 AM
What is this "neuro" that has been mentioned? Is that a thing with squirrels?

A neurological (neuro) disorder is any disorder of the body's nervous system. It can refer to structural, biochemical or electrical abnormalities in the brain, spinal cord or other nerves that can result in a range of symptoms. As CritterM explained;

Oh, yes, this does sound like neurological damage, your description is very clear. Until the babies get quite old, their heads are big out of proportion to their bodies, and when they fall from the nest, it tends to be head first because of that.
Unfortunately we do see our share of this. Some may grow out of it, some may display minimal symptoms.
Some may display seizures as they get older. Life expectancy is as individual as the squirrel.

grampyngramy
05-22-2014, 06:52 AM
But do not give on a nuero baby. They can love you just as much if not more than a normal squirrel. When we first got Kazee he could barely walk without stumbling and we confined him to one room. Now we have 2/3 of the house open fro him to run . He runs through the living room to our bedroom thru our bathroom down the hall in to the kitchen. He does venture down o the other end but we keep those doors closed. It has a small offset in the hall and with his condition he gets stuck running in circles but if I thrn on the light he makes hus way out. But all of our pets are special a d I am not sure I would have it any other way. I would make sure everyone is involved with him so he will get used to their scents. Never know when a spell will hit and who will be there and a strange scrnt trying to help may not help at all.

Annep
05-22-2014, 09:41 AM
Hi Squirrel Lovers! My guy weighs 3.9 ozs. before I fed him today and is getting super active! After I fed him i took a video of him "walking" so you can see what's going on. For a second he zoned out as he does but very briefly, not as he has done. More questions I have:

* He is pretty terrified by our cats so is that instinct or did something happen to him?
* do they just urinate and poo whenever, wherever?
* when he graduates to a bigger home, do I line it with typical hamster wood mulch bedding that they pee/poo in?
* if so, how often do I change it?
* if not, what should line the cage?
* can they be litter trained like cats? Because when he is napping on me, I realized he wakes and suddenly gets active/feisty trying to move away from me until he can't hold it anymore then goes pee
* someone mentioned butter for brain development; can I give him pieces of coconut as I tend to think it's excellent for brains

He is still only eating formula three times a day, 15ml each time now. The block I got him is just a rat treat until I order the blocks you all recommended on this forum somewhere. I read that initially someone's squirrel was just gnawing and not eating so I thought something I could get quick and easy at the pet store would be fine. Here is a link to the video:

http://youtu.be/KfjS2m1n620

Thoughts?
Anne

Annep
05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
I also wanted to say that yes! He can stay with us and have a very happy life if he can't quite walk. I hope to have a huge cage with a big branch for climbing as he's a great climber. At least around, up/down on the couch! He will always be able to run around outside his cage at different times during the day as well.

I should mention that he was "clicking" for a fews days after we dumbly fed him to fast and he got water in his nose but amazingly that went away! My sis has the correct kind of antibiotic (had it for her cats) but I never needed it. He's such a resilient squirrel. Maybe all the cuddles and naps he gets with me is helpful...

Anne

farrelli
05-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Poor little guy! You should probably have him on carpet or some other material where he can get his footing and try to learn to walk better.

He should be frightened of cats. They're a top predator for them and their saliva contains a deadly bacteria. Never let a cat near him.

How long ago did he stop clicking?

Wood shavings aren't the best and cedar causes respiratory problems. Most people use fleece, flannel, or t-shirt material. There's a whole discussion on caging that needs to be had and lots of people use a removable, vinyl lined floor that's covered with fleece which they can just take off and throw in the wash.

There are also threads around here where you can attempt to potty them. I think that many use the shredded paper Care Fresh bedding for their potty spot. Some even have an area with that covered by a metal grate that they get at a kitchen store or something. I think a lot of people train them to go by moving some of their previous leavings in the place they want them to go and exposing them to it.

What kind of formula is he on? What kind of blocks are they? Kaytee Forti-Diet are commonly available at pet stores and are of passable quality. If they ones you have now are made of corn and seeds, you should ditch them and get these until your HHBs arrive. Quality nutrition is probably THE most importnat thing in a sqs life, and for your little guy with problems, I would think it especially important.

I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for drugs. Perhaps Prednisone? Do you have any of that that we could tell you how to dose?

grampyngramy
05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Tried to post earlier but guess I was too long winded.
Like Fareli said carpet maybe a large rug for traction. I was the one that fed butter to Butters our first nuero baby. Just dap on my nail. I cannot say for sure it helped but I like to think it did because I did not start till we had him awhile and it was only for a few weeks that I did it. Please no corn or seeds. The last thing he needs is something zapping his much needed nutrients. Sun light may also help. For all babies moms milk has fat just for the proper brain development. I watched some of the video had to stop. He may be a bit scared alone on the floor. I would lay in the floor or crawl on my hands and knees with ours. I will have to keep this short and write more later. Just let him know you are with him and let him explore. Keep the karo on hand. Brain stimulatio may help. Different colors on the floor like to make him think. Like the old red blavk and white baby toys. Alsowatch for him to get tired, and make him go to bed when he does. I think being tired may cause more seizures. But at first I would just get him on carpet or a big rug and let him try that.

farrelli
05-22-2014, 10:57 AM
To be clear about the sun though, DON'T take him outside. Oh the tragedies people have had with that! If you have old windows the sun might do him some good, but newer windows tend to block a lot of the rays. And don't trust screens to be a barrier because they're barely even there for a squirrel. Some people believe in the benefits of the sun though and get full spectrum lizard lamps. If you're interested in that, I think we have a couple recommended models.

grampyngramy
05-22-2014, 11:10 AM
by
To be clear about the sun though, DON'T take him outside. Oh the tragedies people have had with that! If you have old windows the sun might do him some good, but newer windows tend to block a lot of the rays. And don't trust screens to be a barrier because they're barely even there for a squirrel. Some people believe in the benefits of the sun though and get full spectrum lizard lamps. If you're interested in that, I think we have a couple recommended models.

Yeah thanks for clearing that up. My fault. Never leave then in the direct sun. A lamp is best but can be expensive.
Also try to keep track of seziures and you will learn what triggers them. Butters had issues with bones and dog scents.
Butters got so much better he learned to climb the front of the kitchen cabinets cross over in front of the sink and steal nuts from the bowl and licking butter off of the butter dish.

stepnstone
05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Definitely neuro, poor sweetie...
I personally would avoid putting him on the wood floor.
He can'not get traction and just makes his efforts more stressful
and difficult then needs to be.
How does his eyesight appear to you?

grampyngramy
05-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Definitely neuro, poor sweetie...
I personally would avoid putting him on the wood floor.
He can'not get traction and just makes his efforts more stressful
and difficult then needs to be.
How does his eyesight appear to you?

I could nit watch the whole video, hurts too much. It looked to me his sight might be good just from the eyes to the brain is the issue. Like his brain is trying to process everything. But if he starts to favour holding one side up more than the other he may have some blindness. I will try to watch the whome video when I get home, at least there if I get all teary eyed it is ok. Poor little one. I will be praying to the saints for this one.

farrelli
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
I was wondering about the sight too, but he went to the shoe and kind of clung to it like an island in the sea.

TubeDriver
05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Rodents don't like to be in the middle of a large open space, they will usually seek shelter or concealment (like the shoe in that video).

Sometimes blinking can also be a symptom of mild seizure activity. Has he had any full blown seizures?

He is very cute and pretty young so I hope he can improve and heal as he gets older.

Annep
05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
I could nit watch the whole video, hurts too much. It looked to me his sight might be good just from the eyes to the brain is the issue. Like his brain is trying to process everything. But if he starts to favour holding one side up more than the other he may have some blindness. I will try to watch the whome video when I get home, at least there if I get all teary eyed it is ok. Poor little one. I will be praying to the saints for this one.

Oh! You're very deeply caring like me! Please know that he isn't just stuck on the hardwoods all the time...actually never because obviously it's stressful for him. He gets to "run around" mainly with me on the couch or bed because he feels safe and happy there. Then when he is ready he snuggles into a tight spot to nap! It does look pretty sad when he tries to walk but if he never walks just right, we will have the tallest indoor branch you've ever seen because he can climb like a champ! He is SO loved here and very safe! Take heart!

Annep
05-22-2014, 12:49 PM
I'm cleaning and setting up the cage shortly. If it isn't quite right for him (and I don't think it will be) I will run out to get my friends aquarium. I will put bunch of tight weave cotton in the corner for him to snuggle into and put some of his peepeed cloth in the far corner so hopefully he gets the idea. Boy is he a smart one though!

I will get rid of the chew treat I bought him since there is corn in it. He doesn't like it anyway. Can he chew coconut meat?

farrelli
05-22-2014, 12:56 PM
He can have some coconut.

People generally avoid aquariums because sqs can't climb the sides. Lots of people get cages off of Craigslist. Critter Nation are a favorite, and you can order from them directly if you wish. If you see anything you like, just let us know and we'll give feedback.

grampyngramy
05-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Please no aquarium. No air circulation. And they hold in bacteria. And watch him on the bed, even though it may not seem possible he may get a burst of energy or get spooked and take off like a bat out of hell a d hit the floor. The last thing he needs is to bang his Mellon again.
He can chew the shell of the coconut too. I would scrape the stringy parts off first.

Annep
05-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Oh, okay, no aquarium. I already bought a cage off CL so hopefully it will work. I cleaned the base which looks to be 3'x2' on castors. I haven't cleaned the metal part so it's not attached yet but I did put a throw rug on the base after feeding, along with a bunch of fabric for him to crawl around in (he likes to do that!), so he could try walking. He kind of liked it but seemed to like looking over the edges.

Please keep the feedback coming!

farrelli
05-22-2014, 04:08 PM
You should look around at out caging section for ideas. I think people cut some plywood to the size of the bottom of the cage, wrap it in vinyl, and then put a "pillowcase" of fleece around it and then just swap out the fleece and wipe off the vinyl for easy cleaning.

Annep
05-22-2014, 04:28 PM
These are pics of Tumbles. The bottom two are when we brought him home; he was so small and dehydrated. The other three were selfies of he and I napping (well he napped and i watched TV) the other day. I just couldn't believe he crawled in my sleeve, up to my neck, stuck his head out, and went to sleep!

farrelli
05-22-2014, 05:23 PM
He's so adorable. Total love match! :Love_Icon

SammysMom
05-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Oh how I love that phase when their feet look enormous! Those big loving eyes are impossible to resist too!:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Madamelipstick
05-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Oh another one looses there heart. These babies will tear your heart away in a New York Minute. Cutie there.

Annep
05-24-2014, 09:03 AM
That is adorable!!! I sure wish I had another one his age for companionship. Do you know how I can adopt another little grey?

farrelli
05-25-2014, 12:16 AM
It;s always a gamble putting them together. They often don't get along if introduced when older than just a few weeks.

Annep
05-30-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi All! I wanted you to know that Tumbles is doing great! As of twenty minutes ago before formula he weighed a whopping 5.5 ounces! He's been with us three weeks as of today and has really grown...A LOT! His tail is so fluffy and mature looking, he is nibbling at the Henry's squirrel blocks (as long as I breaks them into smaller, easier to hold bits), and he loves to hang out on me and play! I LOVE that! He likes to play by sort of wrestling with my hand as a cat would. He also likes to investigate my fingers, and other things like fabric, by nibbling! I let him bite at my longer finger nails until he bites too hard at which time he gets a bit of the block. I suspect I may need yo trim his bottom teeth though because they are fairly long and it seems to impede his being able to bite larger things.

About his walking; he still isn't however he is very mobile in the bottom of his cage...very mobile when he's awake. It's so darn cute because he pulls himself around the bottom edge using his claws on the bars and when he gets to a good spot he stops and tries to climb up. He really can't get up it though so I tuned a thick piece of wool to the cage at about 12" up so he can climb a little way up and not get hurt if he falls to the somewhat thick carpet on the bottom. I have held him up on the carpet I put on the floor outside the cage, so he can walk upright. He's getting very strong but I think he will literally need physical therapy everyday so he can learn to walk. He gets the idea of walking but isn't strong enough to walk without falling to one side or the other and then just doing his thing; dragging along using all his feet. They all move but are obviously very week.

***DOES ANY VET OR REHABER HAVE SUGGESTIONS ON HOW ELSE TO HELP HIM WALK?***. I will post this and other questions in the medical area too.

He really likes to be with me though... At night I still put him to bed in his box (a file folder size) with the heating pad under the side edge. Well it's right next to my side of the bed on my side table and I noticed he like to scratch around in there, trying to get out, until I take him out and let him cuddle under my covers with me, where he will finally fall asleep! I usually let him get into a good sleep and give him kisses then put him back in the box to sleep. Oh! And get this; he doesn't like my mom in law! She was over last night and I was having my usual nightly time with him where he hangs out with me on the couch nibbling, wrestling and exploring. Well, she asked if she could hold him and I hesitantly said yes since she's older and he's getting fast. She was holding him and he didn't seem pleased because he was trying to get away so she turned him tummy side up and was looking at him when he started peeing! Like I've never seen him pee before! Just constant stream shooting at her! I immediately took him from her and put a towel under him but he's never done that with the kids, our friends, or my hubby! Funny little guy!

* Another question though; how can I potty train/litter train him? What kind of material should I use for the pee area? Not cat litter right? Just washable fabric?

I really want to thank you all for helping me with him! For having this amazing forum for people like me who have the time, money and LOVE to help a fellow life form!

farrelli
05-30-2014, 10:21 AM
If you could get us pics, or even video, of everything, that would be great. Especially of his teeth. Teeth can be a serious issue. They should wear themselves down, and if they're not (to be seen) there's a whole other discussion that needs to be had. Please check the roof of his mouth to make sure there is no irritation for them. A pic with a pencil or something behind them would be great.

I will PM someone who had a paralyzed sq and ask her for advice for you. I think there's a few on here who have done PT and hopefully she or someone else will remember who they were and get them here too.

farrelli
05-30-2014, 10:29 AM
Oh, and make sure that the bottom of the cage is very soft so that he doesn't hurt himself dragging around.

As to potty training, many people make a corner with some Carefresh shredded paper used for this kind of thing, sometimes they cover it with a metal grate that they get at kitchen stores and such. At first, put some of his should bedding in there so that he knows by scent that this is where he should go. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

island rehabber
05-30-2014, 10:36 AM
thanks, farrelli for calling my attention to this thread. He is a beautiful boy! The description of him pulling himself around the edges of the cage and then climbing up remind me SO much of my Krista, who had a compression fracture in her upper back. She could climb but never was able to walk. I did do P/T with her, however, and it improved her a LOT....let me watch your boy in the video and I'll be back with some ideas....

island rehabber
05-30-2014, 12:05 PM
OK....I watched the video a few times and here's what i think, for what it's worth:

Tumbles is strong and way more coordinated than my squirrel was. his hind legs work; they just don't work quite well together. He flops to the left so there is a weakness in the hip area on that side, I think. I would suggest making him what I called a "channel track" -- a long open-topped chute in which he can walk but the sides will hold him up. If he keeps walking and not flopping to his weak side, he will build up the muscles on that side and possibly walk better. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about, that my BF made with some plain old pine from the Home Depot:

Note: she was terrified of it, which is why I didn't get too many chances to work with her on it. Your baby is much younger and could get used to it far more easily than an 8-month old would. :)

TubeDriver
05-30-2014, 12:31 PM
OK....I watched the video a few times and here's what i think, for what it's worth:

Tumbles is strong and way more coordinated than my squirrel was. his hind legs work; they just don't work quite well together. He flops to the left so there is a weakness in the hip area on that side, I think. I would suggest making him what I called a "channel track" -- a long open-topped chute in which he can walk but the sides will hold him up. If he keeps walking and not flopping to his weak side, he will build up the muscles on that side and possibly walk better. Here's an idea of what I'm talking about, that my BF made with some plain old pine from the Home Depot:

Note: she was terrified of it, which is why I didn't get too many chances to work with her on it. Your baby is much younger and could get used to it far more easily than an 8-month old would. :)

Excellent idea! :thumbsup

Annep
05-30-2014, 05:44 PM
If you could get us pics, or even video, of everything, that would be great. Especially of his teeth. Teeth can be a serious issue. They should wear themselves down, and if they're not (to be seen) there's a whole other discussion that needs to be had. Please check the roof of his mouth to make sure there is no irritation for them. A pic with a pencil or something behind them would be great.

I will PM someone who had a paralyzed sq and ask her for advice for you. I think there's a few on here who have done PT and hopefully she or someone else will remember who they were and get them here too.

I will take some pics of his teeth for you sometime this weekend. I don't think we saw any issues on the roof of his mouth but I can investigate further when I use the pencil/take photo. There's a woman online, Mary, who is a vet and has great info as well as videos of teeth being trimmed. I think it should be a simple procedure but...

And thank you for bringing an experienced PT to us!:)

Annep
05-30-2014, 06:08 PM

WOW! Brilliant! That is exactly what he needs! I will build it this weekend! Assuming he has this compound fracture that you suspect, will it continue to give him trouble in his life? If he learns to walk well, and starts climbing and jumping, would another fall aggravate this injury therefore causing him to be non-releasable? Like, would he have trouble walking again? Does an injury like this heal? Are there any beneficial foods, plants, herbs, etc., that can help with possible inflammation, rebuilding of bone/tissue, etc.? Is he still in pain now? He never really showed me any indication that he was in pain but animals tend not to show it well... He never flinched or squeaked when I held him although he does seem to shiver at times. Again, I don't know if this is normal squirrel behavior or reflex. When I get the teeth photos I will also take a video so you can see how he is in general. He just so wonderful! :thankyou:thankyou:jump:thankyou:thankyou:thankyou

Annep
06-03-2014, 08:37 AM

Hi Farrelli! I finally took a pic of Tumbles bottom teeth. Don't they seem too long? I won't clip them until I hear back from you about the size. I bought a perfect size cuticle nipper to do this BUT I am not sure what the "angle" should be; angled forward or backward? Or is a straight snip across just fine? I read something about a dremel for this job but I can't imagine the poor little guy would like that very much because of the noise. Heck, he jumped from some fairly mundane sounds that happen around here! A dremel seems excessive IMHO!

Milo's Mom
06-03-2014, 05:45 PM
Does this squirrel have top teeth? I think I might be seeing some little nubs in the pic, but to be sure I'm asking.

The angle of the pic makes it kinda hard to judge the length. Did you see any sort of irritation on the top/roof of his mouth?

If other pics can be taken it would be helpful, as I would not want to say clip them simply due to an angle of a pic.

Annep
06-15-2014, 10:33 AM
Hi Again!
I wanted to update you all about our baby, Tumbles! Well first off; WOW! That little bugger has grown so much! He's just not my baby anymore; more like my preschooler! His tail is big and fluffy, curls when he sits to eat! He makes squirrel sounds now which he never did as a baby. I wheel his cage into our room at night so I can shut the cats out but lately I've been leaving the door open because Tumbles sleeps all night therefore the cats don't see him moving and don't bother with him. Early this morning I woke up (I wake whenever I think a cat may be batting at his cage...it's a mommy thing), I woke because I heard all these snorty/squeaky sounds, jumped up expecting to see a cat batting at him but no! It was just him making noise! My husband said "he does that now, just a few noises here and there when he's playing." What! I guess because I'm always interacting with him if he's awake, unlike my hubby who hangs back, I don't get to hear these new "words"! He still hangs ou to the bed with us at night if we go early and watch tv in there. He wrestles with us, or I'll put him in my robe pocket with a Henry Block bit, or he explores the folds of the blankets. Eventually he nestles up into a warm nook on me and falls asleep. He really seems to like the cats, or atleast he's not afraid of them very much. I know I've been warned not to let him get used to them but I don't think my dear Tumbles will be releasable. He sort of needs them I guess you'd say, for friends. Maybe there's another small critter that would be a good living companion? Any suggestions? Chinchilla? Hedgehog? I should probably look for one now while Tumbles is still fairly young. I'd love for him to have someone to cuddle with! Although I will always cuddle him. Maybe a ferret? I bought him a water thing for his cage but the darn thing drips! I don't think they should constantly drip correct?

Anyway, here is another not well done video that I did a little while ago (avoiding housework!). Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/HV3LieLJjKE

CritterMom
06-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Hi Again!
I wanted to update you all about our baby, Tumbles! Well first off; WOW! That little bugger has grown so much! He's just not my baby anymore; more like my preschooler! His tail is big and fluffy, curls when he sits to eat! He makes squirrel sounds now which he never did as a baby. I wheel his cage into our room at night so I can shut the cats out but lately I've been leaving the door open because Tumbles sleeps all night therefore the cats don't see him moving and don't bother with him. Early this morning I woke up (I wake whenever I think a cat may be batting at his cage...it's a mommy thing), I woke because I heard all these snorty/squeaky sounds, jumped up expecting to see a cat batting at him but no! It was just him making noise! My husband said "he does that now, just a few noises here and there when he's playing." What! I guess because I'm always interacting with him if he's awake, unlike my hubby who hangs back, I don't get to hear these new "words"! He still hangs ou to the bed with us at night if we go early and watch tv in there. He wrestles with us, or I'll put him in my robe pocket with a Henry Block bit, or he explores the folds of the blankets. Eventually he nestles up into a warm nook on me and falls asleep. He really seems to like the cats, or atleast he's not afraid of them very much. I know I've been warned not to let him get used to them but I don't think my dear Tumbles will be releasable. He sort of needs them I guess you'd say, for friends. Maybe there's another small critter that would be a good living companion? Any suggestions? Chinchilla? Hedgehog? I should probably look for one now while Tumbles is still fairly young. I'd love for him to have someone to cuddle with! Although I will always cuddle him. Maybe a ferret? I bought him a water thing for his cage but the darn thing drips! I don't think they should constantly drip correct?

Anyway, here is another not well done video that I did a little while ago (avoiding housework!). Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/HV3LieLJjKE

NOT A FERRET!!!! :eek:eek:eek They will kill and eat squirrels!

People have successfully combined squirrels with both guinea pigs and bunnies; I think they are all individuals though, so you never know.

One of the issues with cats is that they carry a bacteria called Pasturella in their saliva, so if a cat nicks a squirrel with either teeth or claws (from licking them to groom themselves) they will pass it on to the squirrel, and without heavy duty antibiotics administered immediately, it will kill them. Pasturella is what causes "cat scratch fever" in humans. So it isn't just danger from an attack; a casual play swat could literally be deadly.

100% separation between cats and squirrels.