PDA

View Full Version : How long is too long before release?

boo
04-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi,

I have a baby squirrel (I believe approximately 6-7 weeks old by pics I've seen of others) at home. He was in the path to and from an elementary and middle school and had been poked, prodded, handled, and had even followed kids home. I found out he has already temporarily lived in 4 different houses! When I heard about him I went and waited to see if there was a mother in sight. I called a squirrel connoiseur (not sure if she's a rehabber) and she told me he was too young to survive on his own at this point. He was healthy looking, but skinny, and in doing the skin test I believe he was dehydrated and malnourished. I am feeding him Esbilac - which he loves and suckles well from a bottle - and Pedialyte, together with walnuts, peanuts, and has alfalfa grass in his home. He is super loving and is getting very active now, where a week ago he was not.

I want the best for him!!!

Here are my concerns:
He's been in human care for a while - with me, one week.
He's been in - at least - four homes, not always on proper diet.
He's still ravenous when it comes to his bottle of puppy formula.
If you stick your finger in front of his home, he suckles.

My question is, Is it too late to have him imprint with other squirrels? What are his chances of survival once he is released?

I will keep him or relinquish him, but I want what is best for him. I am not a rehabber, although I have vast experience with animals, to include having raised orphan oppossums before release in affition to dogs, cats, birds, lizards, frogs, rats, hamsters, turtles, etc....

Please advise - time is running out and i want help making my decision.

Boo

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=174
Boo I sent you a pm, again you will be fine look at this chart & see if your age determination matches.
Stick around here & you will get some great help. If you want help finding a rehabber we can help with that also?

island rehabber
04-19-2007, 10:24 AM
hi Boo -- and thanks for being the one who stuck with this poor little guy. :thankyou
First and foremost he needs to get his diet stabilized after four different homes. Sounds like you're on the right track....how much are you feeding him? You might want to check the thread about "How Much to Feed" and get some ideas from a few of our rehabbers on how much a 6-7 week old should be eating. If you are using a bottle is there any way you could use a 3cc syringe (no needle)?? It's safer and easier for the squirrel, if you can. The Esbilac puppy powder is the recommended formula for baby squirrels, and the only one usually available in pet stores. He should get 3-4 feedings of this per day, along with a quality "rodent block" such as Mazuri or Zupreem monkey biscuits. He should also have fresh leafy greens like kale, spinach or chickory....raw sweet potato pieces for vitamins and calcium....raw almonds (shelled at first), shelled walnuts and pecans as a treat. Diet is NUMBER ONE priority for squirrels....unfortunately they can't live on only one or two things like dogs and cats do. Dietary deficiency in squirrels leads to seizures, metabolic bone disease (MBD) and death.....so if you're strongly committed to doing the right thing for this little guy, we can help you! Otherwise we will help you find a rehabber who can fit him in with her other spring babies.

Also: he can learn to be a squirrel eventually and be wild and free like every other squirrel....but it will take him longer and you must do certain things to "wild him up" ahead of time, like not handling him at all after he's weaned, etc.....think about whether you are willing to deal with that, also. And again, thanks for caring about him!! :thumbsup

Critter_Queen
04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
hi Boo -- and thanks for being the one who stuck with this poor little guy. :thankyou
First and foremost he needs to get his diet stabilized after four different homes. Sounds like you're on the right track....how much are you feeding him? You might want to check the thread about "How Much to Feed" and get some ideas from a few of our rehabbers on how much a 6-7 week old should be eating. If you are using a bottle is there any way you could use a 3cc syringe (no needle)?? It's safer and easier for the squirrel, if you can. The Esbilac puppy powder is the recommended formula for baby squirrels, and the only one usually available in pet stores. He should get 3-4 feedings of this per day, along with a quality "rodent block" such as Mazuri or Zupreem monkey biscuits. He should also have fresh leafy greens like kale, spinach or chickory....raw sweet potato pieces for vitamins and calcium....raw almonds (shelled at first), shelled walnuts and pecans as a treat. Diet is NUMBER ONE priority for squirrels....unfortunately they can't live on only one or two things like dogs and cats do. Dietary deficiency in squirrels leads to seizures, metabolic bone disease (MBD) and death.....so if you're strongly committed to doing the right thing for this little guy, we can help you! Otherwise we will help you find a rehabber who can fit him in with her other spring babies.

Also: he can learn to be a squirrel eventually and be wild and free like every other squirrel....but it will take him longer and you must do certain things to "wild him up" ahead of time, like not handling him at all after he's weaned, etc.....think about whether you are willing to deal with that, also. And again, thanks for caring about him!! :thumbsup

I agree with all of what IR said. :D :thumbsup :bowdown And would only like to add that I would get rid of the peanuts in his diet...they aren't good for squirrels...same thing goes for sunflower seeds, in case you're tempted. :)

thundersquirrel
04-19-2007, 05:52 PM
he's releasable, don't worry. you just gotta do it right. i would think about building an outdoor cage for him in a week or so, and he can start having outside-while-in-cage time during the day to get him used to the outside again. (we can instruct you on that).

his age of squirrel seems to be the most common age of pet that people bring in. we're raising one right now that a woman had kept for a few days, thinking she could keep him forever. he's very wild now, though still needs more time.

any rehabbers near you? it'd be great to get your baby a friend.

TexanSquirrel
04-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Got any pics! :D