PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel won't move for hours at a time

slyr114
05-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Ok so there is a squirrel that comes around our backyard every single day and just picks a spot to sit. He lays there for hours at a time and seems to be sick or has something wrong with him. I don't have much experience and do not want to get close to him in case something is really wrong with him. What should I do about this? I took pictures from today and yesterday. He just sits with his head to the ground or on some surface most of the time. I tried to give him some peanuts to see how he reacted, the peanuts are still there and he didnt even acknowledge me or them. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fk8mehvd8ne5tu/DSC_0007.JPG and https://www.dropbox.com/s/s539eymbbxy86bq/DSC_0005.JPG I have little experience with squirrels but him just laying there, absent minded, cant be normal right?

stepnstone
05-07-2014, 12:57 PM
No the posture is not normal, he's sick and needs help.
I'm going to move this to life threatening to hopefully get more exposure.

slyr114
05-07-2014, 01:01 PM
No the posture is not normal, he's sick and needs help.
I'm going to move this to life threatening to hopefully get more exposure.
Thanks for the confirmation, is there someone I should call next time I see him? I have no experience at all with squirrels and was hoping someone could let me know what the best course of action is.

Scooterzmom
05-07-2014, 01:02 PM
I cannot be sure because the picture is not quite clear but it appears that this little fellow's coat is in very bad shape, or that he has bumps all over. If he does have bumps all over, then he might have pox, and would appear quite advanced from the little that I see.

Pox is fatal in over 50% of the cases; those who did pull through are those who were rescued early enough before the disease could progress to the internal organs. This baby needs help, FAST…!!! wether it is pox or not. That posture is not normal, it shows he's in distress.

slyr114
05-07-2014, 01:07 PM
I told my grandpa about him and he said that the squirrel has been coming around for a few weeks now like that. Wish he would have told me sooner, I only just saw him two days ago. Really just not sure what to do from here. He seems to have left for today but he usually does come back within a day or so. I am going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday.

TubeDriver
05-07-2014, 02:09 PM
I told my grandpa about him and he said that the squirrel has been coming around for a few weeks now like that. Wish he would have told me sooner, I only just saw him two days ago. Really just not sure what to do from here. He seems to have left for today but he usually does come back within a day or so. I am going out of town tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday.

Thanks for caring about him.

At the very least, you can leave some fresh clean water in a bowl and also leave out some nuts for him to eat. What state are you in?

smoknbunny
05-07-2014, 02:10 PM
If he has bumps only around his face or neck consider the possibility of a jaw abscess and/or maloccluded incisors.

TubeDriver
05-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Never mind, I see that you are in Cleveland OH. We might be able to locate someone who can help.

TSB, Any rehabbers in that area?

slyr114
05-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Ya I live in Cleveland, I will leave out a bowl of nuts and water for him.

farrelli
05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
You might have to capture him to get him treatment. Would you be up for that? Hopefully we can find a rehabber in the area that you could get him to. If not, would you be OK with keeping him for a bit until he gets well? Do you have a good cage or a room that he could stay in?

slyr114
05-07-2014, 02:46 PM
This is my grandparents home and they are not comfortable with keeping it indoors. My uncle is good at trapping animals and does have a cage but its small and it would have to stay outdoors. Its a longish but narrow cage so it would not be good for it long term. I guess I could also see if he knows anyone that is a rehabber. Ill let you guys know.

Milo's Mom
05-07-2014, 03:14 PM
I just sent a message to one of our rehabbers that is in OH. I do not think she is close to Cleveland but she may know someone who is.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-07-2014, 03:17 PM
It definitely needs help. If you can catch it, you can try calling Lake Erie Nature and Science Center at (440)871-2900. They are open 9-5 daily and could take him in. Or you can try Sharon at (440)331-0357- she is a home rehabber so you can call her anytime. She may have room for the little guy. I am an hour from Cleveland, but if no one nearby can take him, PM me.

farrelli
05-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks SRB, I guess a couple of us probably PMd you.

slyr114
05-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Alright, thanks guys, Ill see if I can catch it first, then I will give them a call, this week is supposed to get pretty warm out so, and with my luck, the squirrel might not even show up again :( I will keep you guys posted.