PDA

View Full Version : Young wild rabbit found can't walk (no visible injuries)

LynniieRockz
05-07-2014, 04:15 AM
Hello, i live in Wisconsin, i have a rabbit momma that lives in my backyard, shes been there for the longest! well i'm pretty sure the little rabbit i found is hers but i found him injured, he couldn't move and was trying to drag his legs, there are no visible injuries or blood, he is not a baby rabbit but he is still little, not sure how old.
It's cold outside so i thought i should bring him inside, i tried to feed him, i gave him a carrot and he ate a little bit, i really don't know how to care for him, i wish i knew because i don't want him to die if it's in my hands to save him.
He is inside a box, i put some cloths inside so he can stay warm, his eyes were more opened earlier, now his eyes look really sad :(

I don't want him to die feeling pain :( what should i do? how do i give him water? i'm afraid to pick him up again and hurt him, or that he might go into shock because of me. Is there anyone here that lives in Madison that could take care of him? i really don't know of any rehabbers in my city, i don't want to take him to a regular veterinary clinic, last time i did that they didn't do anything for him, they just took him in and left him to die :(

joyceb11
05-07-2014, 05:29 AM
I'm sorry no one has responded to you yet, I do not know much about rabbits but I think what you are doing is good until some one comes on with more experience. Keep the poor rabbit in a dark warm place until some one can give you some better advice.

Nancy in New York
05-07-2014, 07:14 AM
Let me direct some of the members that KNOW bunnies to this thread.

Squirlgirl
05-07-2014, 09:16 AM
He somehow got injured. Can you post a picture of him, so we can see his size. You can give him a shallow bowl of water and Timothy hay. If he is older, he can have white flower clover and dandelion greens from outside. Do his back legs move at all? It would be nice if he could get some Metacam. Have you checked to see if there are any Wildlife Rehabilitators in your area that rehab Cottontails. You can try calling your local bunny rescue, they usually know, right away, who care for Cottontails.:grouphug

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-07-2014, 09:52 AM
You did the right thing taking him in, if his back legs aren't moving he definitely needs help. Has he been able to pee?

Carrots are actually not the greatest thing for baby bunnies, clover and dandelions picked from an untreated area would be best if he has his eyes are open. If his eyes are closed then hold off on regular food and he will need some formula. If he is eyes open and not eating regular food you can also try to offer some formula. KMR or Esbilac are the best formulas that you can get at the pet store for baby bunnies.

I'd recommend searching for a rehabber because bunnies are hard to raise and if he has an injury, that will make it even more challenging.

:thankyoufor helping the little tyke out.

farrelli
05-07-2014, 10:38 AM
I hope you can help her. Thanks for caring.

Also, a little off topic, but any chance you'd like a flying squirrel? Someone in WI is trying to re-home his girl:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?45797-VERONA-WI-Adopt-and-LOVE-my-4yr-old-female-flying-Squirrel