PDA

View Full Version : New member with darling baby boy - Need advice please

Snoopi77
04-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Hello everybody! My name is Gina and I am a new member. Thank goodness I found this place.
I have always loved wildlife and especially squirrels. I have several feeding stations and also several squirrel houses. I never thought I would have a baby to tend to, however.
Wednesday afternoon, as I was unloading groceries from my jeep, a baby squirrel crawled out from under the jeep. It really took me my surprise and I took several steps backwards. Every time I stepped back, he stepped forward. He even stood up while walking towards me. I looked around for his mother or other babies, but the only thing I could find was an empty distroyed nest on the ground. We waited a long while for the mother to show, but she never did.
We finally decided that we needed to put him in a safe place so the neighbor's dogs wouldn't hurt him.
I made him comfortable in a small cage we have, and placed several old T-shirts inside. We found puppy milk at the pet store and he has been drinking pretty good. He appears to be around 6 weeks old according to the pics I found online. I have been feeding him close to every four to five hours. He lets me know when he is hungry by calling out to me (rather loudly - LOL)
I left my phone number with the lady in my town who is supposed to be in charge of tending to orphaned squirrels, but she has not called me back yet.
I just want to do whatever I can to help him survive and plan to do all the things I need to do to get him back into his environment when the time is right. I intend to build an outdoor home in the next several weeks to help him to adjust to being set free.
He seems to be doing well and looks very healthy, but I have noticed that the soiling I see on the T-shirts looks to be yellowish brown and appears to be diarrhea. I would like some advice to what I should do.
Thanks in advance!!
Gina

:easter3

Squirrelly
04-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Hello Snoopi and :Welcome to The Squirrel Board, glad to have you with us! I'm just a fellow squirrel lover, not a rehabber, but wanted to welcome you and wish you the best of luck with your new little charge!

Scott McCargar
04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Hello everybody! My name is Gina and ... I would like some advice to what I should do ...

Gina, I'm not a rehabber either, but there are many excellent rehabbers in this forum.

"What should I do" takes in a lot of territory. I suggest that while you wait
for your local rehabber to call back, click on that sticky note just above your own post, and start on one of the three linked documents.

Good luck,

-- Scott

Squerly
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Hi Gina, :Welcome to The Squirrel Board. Here is a link (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56) to the info that Scott is referring to.

thundersquirrel
04-17-2006, 12:24 AM
hi gina, i actually am a rehabber (lol), but if you've read through the information on the links, you should be pretty well set.

just remember the basics; warmth, nutrition, and shelter.

NEVER feed a cold baby. make sure it's warm to the touch. a heating pad will work, a rice buddy, etc.. however, make sure the baby has access to unheated areas, in case it gets too hot.

next you want to make sure the baby is hydrated. if the baby is hydrated, it's eyes will be bright and moist, the inside of it's mouth will be wet, and when you pinch the skin (hold it up and release) it should return to it's original place immediately (don't try this on the back of the neck, because mammals have an excess of skin there). if the baby is dehydrated, you'll want to feed it straight water or pedialyte in a syringe until it's hydration improves.

it sounds like you got the right food (puppy formula). the kind that most people use is Esbilac, or at least a powder. if you're not using formula that starts out as powder, i suggest you get some. it's much better than the originally liquid kind. it's easy to underfeed and even more easy to overfeed. while feeding, feel his stomach once in a while. when his tummy is tight but can still be squeezed, he's done. kind of like a slightly deflated balloon.

diarrhea can indicate a broad range of problems. most of the time, however, it's an indicater of an inappropriate diet. if the baby has been on it's own for a while, it's likely to have not been getting the nutrition it needs. just keep up the Esbilac (at Skippy's age he should eat around 12 to 14 CCs per feeding; i know it's a lot, but he's growing) and it should go away. if it doesn't, then let us know, we'll think of some other things. ;)

i think you've got shelter covered. just make sure it's a nice little warm haven he can retreat to. :)

Snoopi77
04-17-2006, 07:42 AM
I found the lady in my area who takes orphaned squirrels. She was listed on the Internet and I sent her an email. I am supposed to call her today. It breaks my heart to have to give Skippy up, but only want what is best for him. She may just tell me how to care for him, or she may ask me to take him to her. I have no idea. I am a stay at home Mom, so I do have some time to devote to him.
Thank you all for your help and concern. I will write back and tell what we have to do.
Gina

:Love_Icon

Secret Squirrel
04-17-2006, 12:16 PM
hi gina, i actually am a rehabber (lol),

Are you a licensed rehabber???

Snoopi77
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
[quote=thundersquirrel] i actually am a rehabber (lol),

I am not (Gina), but you may have been speaking to Thundersquirrel.
The Licensed rehab lady called me this morning and asked me several questions. She said that if his eyes were well open and he was zooming around his cage, that it would not be too long before it would be time to set him free back into the wild. She said only another month at most. She said that if I wanted to keep him and tend to him until then, she felt it would be fine. She also said that if I didn't want to, that she would take him.
I told her I would think about it another day or so and weigh out the options of what is best for him. I have a neighbor that really dislikes squirrels and has been know to do bad things. I also have another neighbor who has a cat that hangs around under my squirrel and bird feeders. So far, the only evidence of the cat being successful what when I discovered a pile of dove feathers ... I think my outdoor squirrels are too fast and smart for the cat. Would a human raised squirrel be as wise? I hope so.
I know that the rehab lady has several other squirrels so socializing is also one of the things I have to consider.
Meanwhile, I moved my little boy into a larger cage. This cage has multi-levels. He loves it and is mastering climbing and manuvering around which I think would be better for him as far as exercising and clinging skills.
I also made a rice ball like you mentioned and HE LOVES IT! He got right on top of it and laid his body down spread eagle across it. That was sooo cute!! LOL
I could tell he was comforted by it.
Any suggestions about whether I should keep him or place him with the rehab person. I only want what is best for him.
Gina

:Squirrel

Snoopi77
04-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Also,
If I decide to keep him until time to release him, I will need to start thinking about how to build an outside cage for getting him used be outdoors. I figure I will need to purchase or build a house to place inside of the cage for shelter. I read some pretty scary tales about snakes and other creatures getting inside of the outdoor cage, so I need some advice on how to build a safe cage for this.
Pictures would be great. I already have several squirrel houses on my property and was thinking that if we could build a cage around a house that is already connected to a tree, then when we were completed, we could just take the cage off and Skippy could continue to use his house.
Any help in this matter would be great appreciated.
Gina

:thankyou

MissDolittle
04-17-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi Gina,

here is a thread about building a pre-release cage outside:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45

As to the cats...we have 7 cats roaming around here, 4 of them ours (the
cats came before the rescue). They too sit under the squirrel feeders but
have given up trying to catch them. I have about 20 squirrels in the yard
and they keep teasing the cats. Maybe we are just lucky. If I could I would
keep it cat-free here too, but I would get in trouble with my husband who's
the absolut cat-person.

If you read a horror story about a bullsnake in the enclosure eating the birds
I raised, that was mine. But if you read the instructions about the pre-release
cage, I'm sure you'll do fine. The snake came in from under the house, so
that's something you need to look out for if you build the cage onto the
house as I did.
Which should should also answer the question if you should keep him or not :).
Sounds like you are doing a wonderful job and if you have the time and
patience, go for it!

About the diarrhea...I mix plain yoghurt with the formula or a bit Ensure
Vanilla, that usually takes care of that.

Good luck with Skippy :).

rygel1hardt
04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
If the plan is to eventually release this squirrel then it is my opinion that he would have a better chance of survival with the rehabber. You said she has other squirrels so he could eventually be put with his own kind before release and he will have buddies after he is released. Also if you give him to the rehabber then he will have a better chance of not being eaten by the cats and other predators in you neighborhood. Also you wont have to build a pre release cage as you said the rehabber allready has them. Just my opinion and I understand how easy it is to get attached to these little guys and want to keep them. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Also,
If I decide to keep him until time to release him, I will need to start thinking about how to build an outside cage for getting him used be outdoors. I figure I will need to purchase or build a house to place inside of the cage for shelter. I read some pretty scary tales about snakes and other creatures getting inside of the outdoor cage, so I need some advice on how to build a safe cage for this.
Pictures would be great. I already have several squirrel houses on my property and was thinking that if we could build a cage around a house that is already connected to a tree, then when we were completed, we could just take the cage off and Skippy could continue to use his house.
Any help in this matter would be great appreciated.
Gina

MissDolittle
04-17-2006, 06:23 PM
If you put it that way, I have to agree, lots of good points :).

Secret Squirrel
04-17-2006, 09:48 PM

Yes, I was addressing thunder squirrel about being a licenced rehabber?

thundersquirrel
04-17-2006, 09:59 PM
my mother and i work under the blanket license of an organization called Friends of Wildlife. we have been rehabilitating squirrels for more than three years. it's totally legal, and those who have earned a license of their own monitor our progress, though now we only need their help if it's a need-medicine or life-threatening situation.

Gina, i'm glad the rice buddy worked. he sounds adorable. ;)

Snoopi77
04-17-2006, 10:05 PM
About the diarrhea...I mix plain yoghurt with the formula or a bit Ensure
Vanilla, that usually takes care of that.

Good luck with Skippy :).

Thanks for all the good advice. I also wanted to ask you another question please. The lady who does rehab here near me said that I need to stop with all formula and just give cereal. Maybe I haven't read enough, but that is not what I have read on here. I am not exactly sure how old he is but his eyes appear to have been opened for a while and he climbs his cage pretty well. Just somewhat clumsy. He will take the formula and closes his eyes and climbs back under his blanket and sleeps for several hours. He lets out a loud squeal after that and is waiting for me at the door of his cage.
Do you think he is ready for me to stop with the formula? I could send you a picture of him and maybe you can tell by looking how old he is. He does'nt seem too interested in anything food I offer him yet. If he is ready to stop formula, what should I give him?
The lady who rehabs here says she is quite busy right now as she has to take her daughter to college twice a day. She said that I would probably do fine with keeping him and releasing him myself. As I said earlier, I am holding off for a couple more days until I feel comfortable with my decision. I know I am doing a good job with him and I may worry unless I know he is getting the care I am able to give him. I am home all day.
Gina

thundersquirrel
04-18-2006, 01:58 PM
cereal is not unheard of, my mother and i did that with previous squirrels.

we bought gerber rice cereal. it's similar to Esbilac, in that it comes in a powder and you mix it with water.
you'll want to mix it very thin at first. i'd say try three or four parts prepared formula to one part cereal. after a while, you can try two parts formula to one part cereal.
if the baby is at least six weeks old, i don't think it'll hurt to try cereal. just watch it closely when it first tries the mixture with cereal, and if it seems to be choking or having issues chewing/swallowing, i'd say hold off for a while.

i think you'll be fine raising this little guy yourself. just remember that NO QUESTION is too small or silly to ask. ;)
keep us updated!

MissDolittle
04-18-2006, 02:31 PM
just remember that NO QUESTION is too small or silly to ask.

Yap, the silliest question is the one not asked, hehehe.

I'm under the blanket too for 4 years now, and now my rehabber hasn't renewed
her permit cuz her hubby came down with cancer and she can't do it anymore.
But of course I still call her for advice, mostly for birds. I got a lil sparrow in this
morning, too old to be fed and too young to fly..but i give him 2 days and he'll
be flying :).

Snoopi77
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
cereal is not unheard of, my mother and i did that with previous squirrels.

we bought gerber rice cereal. it's similar to Esbilac, in that it comes in a powder and you mix it with water.
you'll want to mix it very thin at first. i'd say try three or four parts prepared formula to one part cereal. after a while, you can try two parts formula to one part cereal.
if the baby is at least six weeks old, i don't think it'll hurt to try cereal. just watch it closely when it first tries the mixture with cereal, and if it seems to be choking or having issues chewing/swallowing, i'd say hold off for a while.

i think you'll be fine raising this little guy yourself. just remember that NO QUESTION is too small or silly to ask. ;)
keep us updated!

I am sorry - I need to clarify. She said cereal like cherios. She said anything that wasn't chocolate. I offered Skippy one and he was so cute and sat up and held it in his hands and nibbled for a moment then looked at me as if to say "That was nice, now where is my milk!'' I left a couple of Cherios in his cage but feel bad not giving him his formula until I asked you guys. You seems to be so very smart with little creatures.
I have always loved little creatures too, but while growing up I wasn't allowed to have any as my Mom doesn't like them. We lived out in the country and people were always dropping them unwanted animals off back in those days, so I had my share of transient animals. I always cared for them and Dad used to call me Elly Mae. (Maybe I should switch my names!!) LOL
Well, today I went to buy more formula and the young girl at the pet store asked me what I was feeding and when I told her, she told me I could be arrested for caring for a wild animals ... Good grief! She said she would take it from me and then told me that I should be feeding him kitten milk. And then she said she makes her own milk. Seems like I read that puppy milk was the correct kind.
She seemed young to me and said several things that made me believe he would be better off with me. I don't know!!!!
I am beginning to feel confused about all the different things people tell me.
Gina

:dono

MissDolittle
04-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Gina, I offer my squirrels cheerios as a treat, not to replace the formula. Keep
feeding him Esbilac and leave some cheerios in the cage with him. If he's
sitting up and holding the cheerio, he's ready for other solid food such as
rodent block, nuts etc. You'll find the complete diet on this board.

I was told here on the board that it's ok to give adult squirrels formula so I
don't think you can go wrong with that.

thundersquirrel
04-18-2006, 04:22 PM
ohhhhhh ok

yeah cheerios are fine, but like Miss D said, keep up the formula, cause cheerios are just a treat! at this age, i'd expect you to feed him twice a day, maybe three times, but also give him cheerios, hard nuts, seeds, CUT grapes, apple slices, a carrot or two, etc. etc.. as far as other cereals go...i mean, really NO sugar or chocolate and avoid glazes and flavors. plain whole bran flakes, cheerios, oatmeal......but again, only as a treat, cause a little squirrel definitely can't find cereal in the wild, lol.

in fact, it would be helpful if you looked around outside for natural food sources. buds off of trees, natural little fruits or seeds growing on trees, and some maple twigs are nice. we have a crabapple tree in our backyard, so we'll go around collecting some crabapples once in a while.

do NOT listen to that person at the pet store, you're perfectly legal if your rehabber thinks you're ok, you plan on releasing this squirrel, and that girl sounds like a witch with a capital B, if you catch my drift. ;) don't listen to her, she's full of squirrel poop. :rotfl

tshirtlady
04-19-2006, 06:28 PM
hi gina, i actually am a rehabber (lol), but if you've read through the information on the links, you should be pretty well set.

just remember the basics; warmth, nutrition, and shelter.

NEVER feed a cold baby. make sure it's warm to the touch. a heating pad will work, a rice buddy, etc.. however, make sure the baby has access to unheated areas, in case it gets too hot.

next you want to make sure the baby is hydrated. if the baby is hydrated, it's eyes will be bright and moist, the inside of it's mouth will be wet, and when you pinch the skin (hold it up and release) it should return to it's original place immediately (don't try this on the back of the neck, because mammals have an excess of skin there). if the baby is dehydrated, you'll want to feed it straight water or pedialyte in a syringe until it's hydration improves.

it sounds like you got the right food (puppy formula). the kind that most people use is Esbilac, or at least a powder. if you're not using formula that starts out as powder, i suggest you get some. it's much better than the originally liquid kind. it's easy to underfeed and even more easy to overfeed. while feeding, feel his stomach once in a while. when his tummy is tight but can still be squeezed, he's done. kind of like a slightly deflated balloon.

diarrhea can indicate a broad range of problems. most of the time, however, it's an indicater of an inappropriate diet. if the baby has been on it's own for a while, it's likely to have not been getting the nutrition it needs. just keep up the Esbilac (at Skippy's age he should eat around 12 to 14 CCs per feeding; i know it's a lot, but he's growing) and it should go away. if it doesn't, then let us know, we'll think of some other things. ;)

i think you've got shelter covered. just make sure it's a nice little warm haven he can retreat to. :)

Thundersquirrel, I thought Esbilac goat formula was the best for baby squirrels. Is that not so? Please advise. Thanks!:dono

muffinsquirrel
04-20-2006, 12:21 AM
Quote...
"And then she said she makes her own milk."

Sounds a little perverted to me!!

(I'm sorry, but when I read that it just hit me as funny, and I couldn't resist.)

muffinsquirrel

Some of my best friends are squirrels!

thundersquirrel
04-20-2006, 11:03 AM
goat formula? ummm i've never heard of that......maybe it is the best, i don't know! our rehab advisor told us to use the puppy formula for squirrels. i'm sure both work, i just don't know which is better. :dono

thumper
04-23-2006, 06:45 PM
I am sorry - I need to clarify. She said cereal like cherios. She said anything that wasn't chocolate. I offered Skippy one and he was so cute and sat up and held it in his hands and nibbled for a moment then looked at me as if to say "That was nice, now where is my milk!'' I left a couple of Cherios in his cage but feel bad not giving him his formula until I asked you guys. You seems to be so very smart with little creatures.
I have always loved little creatures too, but while growing up I wasn't allowed to have any as my Mom doesn't like them. We lived out in the country and people were always dropping them unwanted animals off back in those days, so I had my share of transient animals. I always cared for them and Dad used to call me Elly Mae. (Maybe I should switch my names!!) LOL
Well, today I went to buy more formula and the young girl at the pet store asked me what I was feeding and when I told her, she told me I could be arrested for caring for a wild animals ... Good grief! She said she would take it from me and then told me that I should be feeding him kitten milk. And then she said she makes her own milk. Seems like I read that puppy milk was the correct kind.
She seemed young to me and said several things that made me believe he would be better off with me. I don't know!!!!
Gina

:dono FUN AINT IT???? HEHE

thumper
04-23-2006, 06:57 PM
Gina

:dono you and me both,the lady at the vets office asked me what I needed the esbilac for too,I told her "A LIL GREY DUDE" HEHEHE!!!!