PDA

View Full Version : water between feedings??

nuts555
04-06-2014, 06:15 PM
do 2-3 week old baby squirrels need sugar water in between formula feedings?

Milo's Mom
04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Not necessarily. Are they showing signs of dehydration? Too much sugar can also cause dehydration and loose stool.

Not familiar with their story.

Are they taking formula readily? Are they peeing at each feeding? Is the pee dark in color or very strong in odor?

What formula do you have them on and what strength is the formula (are you diluting it with extra water)?

nuts555
04-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Not necessarily. Are they showing signs of dehydration? Too much sugar can also cause dehydration and loose stool.

Not familiar with their story.

Are they taking formula readily? Are they peeing at each feeding? Is the pee dark in color or very strong in odor?

What formula do you have them on and what strength is the formula (are you diluting it with extra water)?

I just started mixing Esbalic with FV 32/40. I use one part Esbalic with 2 parts water and one part FV with two parts water. They don't pee at EVERY feeding, but almost. Very good poop. I only have them since Wednesday. I just got a digital scale today and Nuts (girl) weighs 32g and Columbus (boy) weighs 40g. They haven't gained weight since Wednesday though, which I think they should, no? I had them on Esbalic Wednesday/Thursday.
I fed them every 2-3 hours the first 2 days, but someone here said to not feed them more than every 4 hours when they get FV. So i'm feeding them at 6:30am, 10:30am, 2:30pm, 6:30pm, 10:30pm, 2:30am right now. First 1cc syringe goes rather quick, but they aren't all that eager for #2...which takes a while for them to finish.Nuts (32g girl) usually eats 1.5 syringes.

nuts555
04-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Is the pee dark in color or very strong in odor?

Pee is clear, no odor. Poop mustard/gold and very frequent.

Milo's Mom
04-06-2014, 07:00 PM
If you just got a scale today how do you know that they have not gained weight since Wednesday?

Also, I cannot really comment on the Esbilac, I do not use it. It is my understanding that the mixing of the Esbilac and FV was to circumvent issues with FV in NEONATES (those less than 10-14 days old).

I also cannot comment on how often to feed when mixing the formulas....again, I do not mix them, as I've never had a need too.

If the pee is clear and has little to no odor and they are pooping good poops (not too soft and not too hard) I personally would not do the water in between feedings.

Are you making sure the formula is staying warm enough for the second syringe? Are you also keeping the baby warm while feeding? If either get too cool they will not want to eat.

When I am feeding and they start rejecting the formula, I nuke it for 5 seconds (the formula) and try again. More times than not the babies take it very willingly.

nuts555
04-06-2014, 07:29 PM
If you just got a scale today how do you know that they have not gained weight since Wednesday?

I used an old manual scale last few days.

And yea, I've had trouble keeping the 2nd syringe warm, that's probably it. I ordered a mug warmer earlier, as the hot water bath didn't really do the trick.

Thanks so much, again :)

Nancy in New York
04-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Are you using the Esbilac with probiotics?
Sometimes little squirrels will stop eating, because they
want to be stimulated. Try stimulating and then feeding again.
That will sometimes do the trick too. :thumbsup

Milo's Mom
04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I used an old manual scale last few days.

And yea, I've had trouble keeping the 2nd syringe warm, that's probably it. I ordered a mug warmer earlier, as the hot water bath didn't really do the trick.

Thanks so much, again :)

The hot water bath has never worked for me either; however, I do know many that do it that way with much success. I end up with cold water and cold formula all over the place. I think I have a mental block to it. :dono

I use the microwave initially and then a coffee warmer. My coffee warmer has an auto-shut off so if I'm feeding a whole crew or a very slow eater sometimes I have to re-nuke for a couple seconds.

Nancy in New York
04-06-2014, 07:57 PM
I just started mixing Esbalic with FV 32/40. I use one part Esbalic with 2 parts water and one part FV with two parts water. They don't pee at EVERY feeding, but almost. Very good poop. I only have them since Wednesday. I just got a digital scale today and Nuts (girl) weighs 32g and Columbus (boy) weighs 40g. They haven't gained weight since Wednesday though, which I think they should, no? I had them on Esbalic Wednesday/Thursday.
I fed them every 2-3 hours the first 2 days, but someone here said to not feed them more than every 4 hours when they get FV. So i'm feeding them at 6:30am, 10:30am, 2:30pm, 6:30pm, 10:30pm, 2:30am right now. First 1cc syringe goes rather quick, but they aren't all that eager for #2...which takes a while for them to finish.Nuts (32g girl) usually eats 1.5 syringes.

I'm not sure if you saw what island rehabber posted yesterday in your other thread.
I'm reposting it here, so that you see what is working for people with little squirrels the same age as yours.:grin2

nuts555 I'm gonna thoroughly confuse you now but I gotta say my piece:

leave them on the Esbilac for another week, then switch to HALF Esbilac, HALF FV 32/40. This is the 'magic formula' that we've all come up with (actually Christina Clarke did, I think) that prevents the problems inherent in both Esbilac and FV with very young squirrels (pinkies). I would not go to the FV 20/50 until their eyes open. That's what I'm doing with mine this season. They look wonderful now, but I would definitely feed them once overnight for another 5-7 days. They really should not go more than 5-6 hrs without hydration (formula) because their mamma would not leave them at all for the first 2 weeks, and so they'd be suckling anytime they wanted, all night.

nuts555
04-06-2014, 08:16 PM
yes, thank you, i saw that. hopefully they will be gaining weight soon.