PDA

View Full Version : Nets

StringTheory
04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
After searching for weeks, I found a source for nets that are suitable for trapping most small animals. The squirrels that we've had to capture are always weak, so we've never had to put the strength of the netting material to the test. Still, these are likely to hold up. The mesh is strong (enough to hold the average squirrel or the most rabid of butterflies, IMO).

Another criterion is the mesh size. I wanted mesh as fine as possible, and less likely to catch on claws or teeth.

This is the only one that I found. Perhaps others know of additional sources. Unfortunately, though the vendor seems like a nice guy (family run), they deal with hunting supplies. I would have preferred to find a pro-wildlife source. I rationalized it by telling myself that it's better to have them serving a positive role.

Anyway, this link should work (Ebay-based vendor):

http://stores.ebay.com/fishing-hunting-plus_NETS-BUTTERFLY_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ9505438QQftidZ 2QQtZkm

If not, try this shortcut:
http://tinyurl.com/2c7qqb

The diameter of the net is also fairly wide, and affords some margin for error when the critter is moving. The picture is deceptive, so look at the listed dimensions. The handle is actually aluminum. Net diameter seems wider, and the handle seems a bit shorter than the pic. And it's not expensive.

If no one else comes up with better sources, I will get the vendor's permission to post phone contact info and direct email.

Also, info on nets may serve the general public, so perhaps this thread should be moved? I've had quite a few people ask me about trapping injured squirrels so they could get them to a vet or to rehab.

island rehabber
04-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Great info, String Theory, :thankyou. The beauty of nets with handles is we don't have to get right up to the critter and risk getting bitten -- vs those throwable nets that are fun to use but then what? You must pick up the bundle of net and angry squirrel with your hands.
:goodpost

TexanSquirrel
04-14-2007, 07:14 PM
:Welcome :goodpost :thankyou