PDA

View Full Version : Sick Baby!

Nickys_Mom
03-20-2014, 12:29 AM
I hope this is ok to post even though it's not a squirrel.......Fostering a litter of four kittens around 6wks old, bottle babies. Two have refused weaning at all, this girl is one of them. Takes formula by bottle great, just no interest in "real" food. I went to take them out of the giant dog kennel I use for them and this girl was still, limp and couldn't stand. A few hours earlier she was absolutely fine, didn't notice anything with her at all. I got her separated, subq'd fluids, using a heating pad and syringing small amounts of formula every little bit.

I can't take her to an E vet bc she isn't mine. The shelter had already closed when this happened. If I can pull her through tonight, one of the shelter vets can see her first thing tomorrow. Honestly I have no clue whats going on with her. I'm trying to do whatever I can but she looks seriously unwell. I'm doing all I know how to help her. Just trying to make sure I haven't forgotten something. Ideas are totally welcomed!

Forgot to add her formula is KMR. Mixed as directed. 2 parts water for 1 part formula

SammysMom
03-20-2014, 12:33 AM
What formula are you using? I would try putting a bit of molasses or karo syrup or even a bit of sugar water to perk her up. If you use a syrup, even maple syrup works, just put it on her gums or her tongue so it goes into her system quickly.

farrelli
03-20-2014, 12:34 AM
If it was a squirrel, if they're weak and lethargic, we rub molasses on the gums. It ups the blood sugar and provides good minerals. Other than that, heat and hydration I guess. Good luck!

Nickys_Mom
03-20-2014, 01:11 AM
Thank you both! I have karo syrup, will give it a try. She has been eating KMR. One part powder to two parts water. Any left after 24hrs, I discard daily. Sorry I am a bit scattered, nerves are shot tonight. She looks absolutely terrible but I will keep trying

stepnstone
03-20-2014, 01:49 AM
Is this kitten backed up by any chance?
How does it's belly look and feel?
What is it's breathing like?

Nickys_Mom
03-20-2014, 04:01 AM
I'm sorry step. I didn't see your reply until now. Unfortunately, she has passed. Her stomach was normal. Not tight and bloated or anything. I can't be totally sure of who is pooping when there's several in the litter and they don't need the stimulation for potty, but I do believe she was passing stool. The stool passed after I found her limp seemed semi normal. Not runny/liquidy but not rock solid either. It was mixing with her urine as she had no bladder control either. She was one of the ones who was refusing wet food/formula gruel. Also one of the smallest in the litter. They were all seen by the shelter vet recently and got dewormed. They also ran tests. I don't know tons about cats but I think it was 3 diff illness they tested for. All 4 kittens were negative.

I know it happens. Circle of life and all but it sure is difficult. They were left with no mama kitty, in the cold. I honestly thought we were in the clear by now considering their age. I did all I knew how, just wasn't enough.

Thanks for the replies. I tried a cat forum too, but no responses there. I lurk around here on and off, and have gotten help with other animals. I figured I could post and get feedback, y'all know your stuff! Man oh man, part of fostering I know but losing them never gets easier.

joyceb11
03-20-2014, 05:21 AM
Awww I am so sorry about the little kitten :Cry

SammysMom
03-20-2014, 07:18 AM
Godspeed little kitty...:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon