PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm T aka sunkissedsassy

sunkissedsassy
01-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Hello everyone. Thank you for letting me join TSB!!!:grin2
On Christmas Eve during the Michigan Ice Storm, my mom found a young adult female squirrel huddled in the middle of the road, not moving. Another squirrel that was by her side, scurried off. My mom stopped her truck, jumped out and picked up the semi-conscious kiddo and put her in a small box with blankets. She brought her to my house. Poor girl had bitten right through her tongue with her top AND bottom teeth. When I started to check her out, she scurried out and right into my arms. She found great comfort getting rubbed and fell asleep there for almost an hour. I was amazed that an adult squirrel found such comfort in a human. We have had "Kaytee" for just over 2 weeks now. She LOVES to be rubbed and talked to. No fear of the dogs (which could care less, shes a new member of the family to them). We got her a new cage with lots of things to climb on. My only concern is that she has sustained some neurological damage. She has a hard time balancing when eating and will tip over, she also cannot run or jump straight so we closely monitor play time and make sure she cannot climb high. Talked with the vet yesterday who suggested the 6 week period to see if there is any improvement and most likely if not then its permanent. Either way she has a home. She is eating great, not fond of monkey chow though so we ordered HHP"s squirrel blocks and she is loving fresh fruit and veggies with some nuts and seeds for treats. She immediately knew how to use a water bottle. She has great weight and a nice coat. Keeping our fingers crossed that she improves. Will keep updates on her progress. Thanks again for the add.

Anne
01-08-2014, 07:41 AM
:Welcomeand :thankyou. Sounds like you are going to be a great squammy to Kaytee. So glad that you found a vet just after finding your girl. IMHO the lack of fear is a sign of neurological damage, the plus side that she may remain sweet and loving for the rest of her life. I hope that the length of her teeth was checked by the vet to make sure there are no on-going problems there.
You real next task with your girl is to keep her as healthy as possible, as you have done with the HHB's. I am sure that you have read the healthy diet and are following the recommendations.(sneaky hint:) You can take a peek at the flying squirrel diet for a very long list of good foods :grin3!
We are so happy that you found your way to these board and look forward to hearing from you and Kaytee for a long time.:poke:pokeWe love seeing pictures of squirrels. Pictures are not hard to post, instructions are given at the bottom of the treads list-please do your best to reduce the pixel size so all of us (cable and dial-up) will be able to enjoy them.
:PalsHappy New Year!

Saverywood
01-08-2014, 07:52 AM
:Welcome She is a beauty too. :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:
Looks like a foxer to me (size & color), is she?
Or is she just a big northern squirrel?
Either way, she is a lucky gal, good rescue!
:thumbsup

Charley Chuckles
01-08-2014, 08:05 AM
:Welcome She is beautiful :grouphug Sounds like you already found a good diet for her the HHB are GREAT and fresh veggies/fruits :thumbsup I have a 2.5 year old Little Girl who was a non releasable due to head trauma and has a hard time balancing, however she does better all the time, but will never of course be resalable, which is fine with me :grin3 One thing I will add, and I hope this never happens to Kaytee is occasionally Little Girl will have a seizure, I found rubbing a little molasses on her gums (making sure I use a syringe nipple as to keep my fingers from getting bit) will bring her right out of it, loud noises seem to set her off/vacuum etc. I am not saying Kaytee will ever have that concern, just many head traumas do...
What a great story a wild just loving to snuggle AWWWWWW :grouphug

SugarBugFerret
01-08-2014, 09:47 AM
:Welcome to TSB! Kaytee is simply beautiful! It does sound like you are off to a great start caring for her. Lucky little squirrel, and you, as I discovered very quickly after Skiddil fell into my life (literally), that there is nothing else like the love and trust between a squirrel and a hoomin (as we say here). They just grab on to your heart strings and never let go! Thank you for saving sweet Kaytee, and for coming here to share her with us! There is so much great and helpful information here it will make your head spin, but in a good way. Please stick around and continue to share your squirrely adventures with us! :grouphugT and Kaytee:grouphug

stepnstone
01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
:thankyouand a special shout out to your mom for
stopping to help her! Your baby is beautiful! :Love_Icon
Please check out our forums, ask any and all questions
that come to mind. We are always here to assist, guide and
educate. :Welcome to TSB!

TubeDriver
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Great job rescuing this squirrel! You will find that they grab a big chunk of your heart!

:)

farrelli
01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
She's beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Looks like a foxer, they're usually so sweet and laid back. You're so lucky!

Are her tongue and teeth OK now?

Sounds like you're doing pretty well on diet. I'm glad she didn't like the monkey chow because it's not the best for them. It's not horrible, but it's far from the best. Here's the healthy diet thread, if you haven't seen it:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

Mountain Mama
01-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi SKS! Hi Kaytee!:Welcome

amandaleet1972
01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Adorable. I'm new too.. Good luck with that cutie!

stosh2010
01-08-2014, 03:15 PM
W-E-L-C-O-M-E ...-so glad you are a member...
Lots of LOVE & Info here...

__________________________________________________ __________________

Check out the links--BELOW--to my 6 Costa Rican squirrels....

Squirlgirl
01-08-2014, 04:09 PM
:Welcome What a lovely little Christmas miracle. Kaytee is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grouphug

Chickenlegs
01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
What a gorgeous big girl! So glad you're here. Poor baby wouldn't have survived the cold if she was hurt. Just hope her friend is doing well too. :Welcome

Shewhosweptforest
01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Yay! Mom rocks :alright.gif and so do you!!!! :grin3 :Welcome and :thankyou for doing right by Kaytee :bowdown :Love_Icon She's one lucky girl to have survived that night...maybe she was stunned by a car and her sibling was staying with her :dono but seeing that she's older her sibling should do just fine :Love_Icon Can't wait to see more pics of her :hyper and hear her new adventures in her new life :thumbsup :Love_Icon

California Squirrel Lover
01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
:Welcome:wave123 Kaytee is a beautiful, beautiful baby girl!! What a sweetheart. So glad you guys were able to rescue her. :thumbsup :Love_Icon

Bravo
01-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Foxers just seem to bond with humans. I'm so glad this one found her way to you... She's your friend for life. :)

DarkLies212
01-08-2014, 09:51 PM
:Welcome to TSB! Your baby is beyond beautiful! I can't wait to hear more about her and, like everyone else, see some pictures! :Love_Icon

farrelli
01-08-2014, 11:04 PM
I just noticed that there's five more pics in sunkissedsassy's profile, should anyone care to see more.

island rehabber
01-09-2014, 07:54 AM
:Welcome sunkissedsassy and Kaytee! Kaytee you are one bee-yootiful foxer girl and it looks like you've found the perfect mommies to keep you that way. Glad you found us! :grin3

MJS
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
:wave123 KAYTEE!!! :Welcome TO TSB...YOU'RE SUCH A PRETTY GIRL!!!

Squirrel Girls Mom
01-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Sunkissedsassy, welcome to TSB!! :Welcome Kaytee is just as cute as she can be. Tell your mom thank you for stopping to rescue her. We looove pictures, so keep them coming. Sounds like you're doing a wonderful job! Congratulations on the new love of your life! There is nothing like the love and trust of a squirrel. :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

sunkissedsassy
01-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Good Morning everyone. Thank you for all the nice words and warm welcomes.
:eek UPDATE: Our Kaytee is now properly named Kazee!!! lol HE was laying on his back in his hammock, getting belly rubs and low and behold, I discovered small peanuts (LOL)
Our HHB's food came yesterday and he is eating it quite well. Ive seen a few of you asking if he is a northern or a foxer, and I'm not quite sure the difference. This is an amazing board and so very helpful. His teeth look great and his tongue healed quickly. He has a new spot in the livingroom, with the family, and he loves his window view. I had seen a post about a clear tote and putting bedding in for him to dig and play in. So I got a bin and bedding and HE LOVES IT. Im hoping he will get more energy as he just eats and sleeps mostly. A couple times a day he will scurry around and climb. Thank you everyone again :grin2

sunkissedsassy
01-11-2014, 08:43 AM
Ok, done some research and Kazee is definitely a Foxer. Does anyone have any helpful info on Foxers? I've read they are less active. Thanks for any tips and info.

Shewhosweptforest
01-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Don't know much about Foxers "except" I love them!!!! They are suppose to be more laid back and loveable:grouphug And they will require an extra block :dono Milo's Mom is lucky enough to be owned by a Foxer her highness "Princess Ellie" and Sissy had a Foxer for years Charlie :Love_Icon I believe they're no different from any squirrel besides the size and temperament :dono I say "enjoy" and count your blessings you found each other :grouphug :Love_Icon