PDA

View Full Version : BLOOD CLOT IN VOMIT !!!

iwonka
01-01-2014, 03:37 PM
6 months old is vomiting since this morning.

At first she vomited bile, but around 3 pm there was a piece/fiber of the hammock in vomit.

The person gave squirrel water, but she vomited it right away and it was red colored.

30 min ago she vomited blood clot.

Should she try giving her some oil (to smooth and possibly dislodge piece of fiber if it is they that are causing this vomiting?)

More water?

What do you suggest to do? How can I help her?

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Always hydrate with vomiting. Many prayers and will try to find more experienced help!:grouphug

Nancy in New York
01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Let me look for more help than I can offer.
I don't know why she would vomit up a blood clot, are you SURE it's
not threads from the hammock?

Is there anyway that the person can look down her throat with a flash light?
Does she have someone that can help her hold the squirrel?
Tell her do NOT throw the vomit away. Actually tell her to look at it, and make
sure it's not threads.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-01-2014, 04:06 PM
could be dye from the material and it is causing her to be sick.
Has it been washed and if so does the dye run when washed??
does not look like blood to me....

iwonka
01-01-2014, 04:24 PM
Let me look for more help than I can offer.
I don't know why she would vomit up a blood clot, are you SURE it's
not threads from the hammock?

Is there anyway that the person can look down her throat with a flash light?
Does she have someone that can help her hold the squirrel?
Tell her do NOT throw the vomit away. Actually tell her to look at it, and make
sure it's not threads.

Yes, it's blood clot. She disolved it in the water.
She didn't vomitting since then.

She will try to check her throat with a flash light when her daughter is back later tonight.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 04:46 PM
How is the squirrel acting now? She did take away that hammock, right? That string is dangerous. Fleece is the answer for sure!!!

iwonka
01-01-2014, 05:05 PM
Squirrel just vomitted again... blood :(

The new thing: the squirrel drags her butt.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Oh dear...is there any sign of thread coming from her rectum? Even tiny bits.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 05:31 PM
Is the squirrel panting or breathing heavily? Besides vomiting I mean.

iwonka
01-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Is the squirrel panting or breathing heavily? Besides vomiting I mean.

Actually no... just making squeaks (whimpers) when vomiting. Probably pain.. :(

pappy1264
01-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Were there pieces gone from the hammock you could see? Could she have ingested something sharp that was attached to hammock? How does her stomach feel, is it hard? This is very serious, and w/o a vet, I don't know how much help can be offered. At this point, I don't see how a little oil would hurt (I am assuming you are thinking it is a blockage from the material?)I am wondering if you can use the stuff for cats for furballs? Ugh. I am sorry I don't know what else to try.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 05:44 PM
I did wonder about Laxatone or something similar for hairballs. I have used oil or even petroleum jelly for hairball issues in a cat.

TubeDriver
01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I did wonder about Laxatone or something similar for hairballs. I have used oil or even petroleum jelly for hairball issues in a cat.

If there is no chance of getting this squirrel vet, then this is probably all that can be done.

:(

I am praying for this little squirrel.

astra
01-01-2014, 06:28 PM
posting this for Iwonka:

the most recent update:

1. the person looked under the squirrel's tail and it looks like her butt is clogged with TONs of poop.
2. So, the person is going to put the squirrel's bottom in warm water and massage to help excrete the poop.

Don't know how hard the poop is, so any and all suggestions how to help excrete the poop depending on the degree of its hardness [are very very welcome:
a) if the poop is not too hard, it will come out with massage and all
b) but if the poop is harder - what to do?
and depending on how hard it is, what are the best, least painful ways of helping the squirrel?

Also, Iwonka told the person to give the squirrel some coconut oil - it's not liquid, safe and can help to smooth the internal passages.

Still, not clear how the blocked bum is connected with the vomiting. Any ideas?

this poor squirrel needs all the prayers she can get - TY!

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Many many prayers coming... Is it possible that the chewing of the hammock is an ongoing thing, Maybe there is string in the intestine and that is causing the blockage. Vomiting happens with blockages.

DarkLies212
01-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Keeping this baby in my thoughts :Love_Icon I can't offer anything else than that :(

island rehabber
01-01-2014, 06:46 PM
If she has been chewing that hammock for a few days it's no wonder she can't pass any poop......I would concentrate on getting her anus cleared for sure because everything is going to back up from there. That's why she is vomiting bile and cannot even keep water down.

California Squirrel Lover
01-01-2014, 06:53 PM
poor baby, I'm praying hard for her!! :Love_Icon:Love_Icon :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Duckman
If she is so clogged up that she is vomiting, she needs to go to the vet NOW! Septicemia is the next step and she will die within a few minutes once that sets in (ruptured intestines). This is URGENT!

stepnstone
If you have or can get olive oil, 1 or 2 drops. Warm water soak, at least 5 mins at a time while massaging. Throwing up due to bowl block, bleeding is questionable. Could be from straining among other things. Most important at this time is get the bowls moving and see where we're at.

farrelli
01-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Could you rig up a tiny enema? Or at least massage her anus with KY or oil? If it's really hard and dried up and just won;t come out, you may have to try to break it up with a dull foreign object, just like in a human.

From the NIH:

Treating a fecal impaction involves removing the impacted stool. After that, measures are taken to prevent future fecal impactions.

Often a warm mineral oil enema is used to soften and lubricate the stool. However, enemas alone are usually not enough to remove a large, hardened impaction.

The mass may have to be broken up by hand. This is called manual removal:

A health care provider will need to insert one or two fingers into the rectum and slowly break up the mass into smaller pieces so that it can come out.
This process must be done in small steps to avoid causing injury to the rectum.
Suppositories inserted into the rectum may be given between attempts to help clear the stool.

From the other end, sugar draws water into the gut, so juice is great. Apple and prune are especially good because they contain sorbitol which draws even more water and is a mild laxative.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 07:04 PM
If there is a string in the rectum, please be very gentle working it out. Pulling VERY gently if it is possible.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 07:25 PM
Any word on this little one?

astra
01-01-2014, 07:54 PM
Any word on this little one?

Iwonka has seen all the suggestions and is right now trying to work with the person.
She will post as soon as she has more updates.

Thank you all for all the suggestions.
Please, keep them coming.

Chickenlegs
01-01-2014, 08:06 PM
If the little guy can't keep water down might want to sub-q as gut motility is REALLy important if there's a blockage. Just a thought.

Nancy in New York
01-01-2014, 08:07 PM
How far away does this person live from iwonka?
Geez this is making me really nervous!

Nancy in New York
01-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Here's a thread with an impacted squirrel.
This squirrel was already on Baytril, and being so
probably saved her life.
Read some of the suggestions on how to get the poop off her butt.
She ended up needing vet help to get rid of the impaction.
She also said that there was a strong odor to her urine, and to
the squirrel itself.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?37072-Rectal-Internal-life-threatening-Andi&highlight=

One of the tips in the thread I referenced is to try to keep the squirrel as calm
as possible with tons of rescue remedy or children's benadryl.

SammysMom
01-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Has anyone herd from Iwonka?

astra
01-01-2014, 08:32 PM
the circumstances are complicated and Iwonka cannot go to this person's place.
BUt this person will follow all the instructions.
Iwonka will post herself later

Shewhosweptforest
01-01-2014, 08:36 PM
Sorry no help...but sending love and well wishes:grouphug :Love_Icon

stepnstone
01-01-2014, 08:48 PM
the circumstances are complicated and Iwonka cannot go to this person's place.
BUt this person will follow all the instructions.
Iwonka will post herself later

I feared it was something like this... :shakehead
Unfortunately, this is a serious situation that
requires experienced hands ...on site.

astra
01-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I feared it was something like this... :shakehead
Unfortunately, this is a serious situation that
requires experienced hands ...on site.

agree, stepnstone. But Iwonka can't go right now.
it's a tough situation in many ways.
but she'll stay with this person on the phone all night if needed.
Also, looking into getting a vet (although, this is super difficult given the location)

island rehabber
01-01-2014, 09:18 PM
standing by with teeth clenched....poor little fuzzer.....:(

skippy
01-02-2014, 12:15 AM
I put this apparatus together to help a young impacted gray whose rectum would prolapse every time he beared down. I had never used an enema on a squirrel before and wasn't sure what I could use. This is what I came up with and we got everything moving again. I hope this can be of help for you or any others in the future. 222746222747
I fed a bit of the plain pumpkin diluted with the 100% apple juice orally. I used the 1cc syringe and the nipple for the "warm" oil enema.
I made sure the lights were dim, the room was quiet and I had everything laid out on my counter. Held him like I would to stimulate, dipped the end of the nipple into a bit of oil before inserting it into the anus. I only used about .25 cc to start. After an hour or so I tried again and got things moving. He also was bleeding from his rectum but survived the ordeal.
Hoping for the best.

skippy
01-02-2014, 12:25 AM
Sorry if this is too graphic for some but I wanted you to see that miracles do happen!

Here is a photo of what I believe to be a pine needle that a squirrel I had passed. He was only about 5 weeks old. I was shocked to see this come out of his tiny hiney and no injuries. Miraculous.222748222749

pappy1264
01-02-2014, 11:01 AM
I received this from Iwonka. She is on the way to see the squirrel, asked me post this:

Manon (the girl with squirrel) did enema at 3:00 am. I explained her how.. with water and coconut oil.

Nothing came out.

The stomack is not hard... since the begining, the stomack is soft.

Manon said that she feels something hard on the end.. close to the anus.

The squirrel drags her bottom.

Other than this the squirrel reack not as a VERY sick (?).. she even jamps. Just now Manon called me that the squirrel tryed to poop but nothing came out.

We can see the vet for X RAYS (only!!) at 6:30PM only. However, she has no experience at all with rodent and she will not do a surgery if need it and I don't know any other vet that will do it. It's agains the law to tread wild animals here.

pappy1264
01-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Iwonka's car is dead! It is too cold there.

SugarBugFerret
01-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Crap! I am praying that this poor baby can catch a break. Hang on little fuzzer!

iwonka
01-02-2014, 12:27 PM
I received this from Iwonka. She is on the way to see the squirrel, asked me post this:

Manon (the girl with squirrel) did enema at 3:00 am. I explained her how.. with water and coconut oil.

Nothing came out.

The stomack is not hard... since the begining, the stomack is soft.

Manon said that she feels something hard on the end.. close to the anus.

The squirrel drags her bottom.

Other than this the squirrel reack not as a VERY sick (?).. she even jamps. Just now Manon called me that the squirrel tryed to poop but nothing came out.

We can see the vet for X RAYS (only!!) at 6:30PM only. However, she has no experience at all with rodent and she will not do a surgery if need it and I don't know any other vet that will do it. It's agains the law to tread wild animals here.

Jackie said do not do an enema... it will not help if there is a blockage due to a fiber/thread..it can actually be dangerous..
get an xray..

It's very cold here but I'll find the way to make my car working for 18:00.

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 12:34 PM
Is the squirrel still taking fluids or can it be sub-Q'd? That might help the bowels to move if it is possible?

iwonka
01-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Is the squirrel still taking fluids or can it be sub-Q'd? That might help the bowels to move if it is possible?

Yes, she is taking fluids.. water with a drop of coconut oil.

Manon has managed to make her car run. She is coming.
I will sub-Q'd the squirrel if need it.

Loopy Squirrel
01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Is the squirrel still vomiting?

iwonka
01-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Is the squirrel still vomiting?

No since 4am today.

This was the last one. Dark.

Nancy in New York
01-02-2014, 01:52 PM
Is this squirrel going to a vet?

Loopy Squirrel
01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
When was the last time she took fluids?

01-02-2014, 01:54 PM
I can't take it, I feel so bad for this little one :Love_Icon:Love_Icon

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Last I knew, she has a 6pm appointment at the vet for an x-ray. Vet will not do surgery if that is what is needed so it is a scary situation. Keep this sweet little in the TSB prayer loop for sure.:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

Loopy Squirrel
01-02-2014, 02:14 PM
I am glad to hear that the vomiting has slowed. This could be a good sign but too early to tell. I am hoping she can get an x-ray to rule some things out.

Nancy in New York
01-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Here's a thread with an impacted squirrel.
This squirrel was already on Baytril, and being so
probably saved her life.
Read some of the suggestions on how to get the poop off her butt.
She ended up needing vet help to get rid of the impaction.
She also said that there was a strong odor to her urine, and to
the squirrel itself.
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?37072-Rectal-Internal-life-threatening-Andi&highlight=

One of the tips in the thread I referenced is to try to keep the squirrel as calm
as possible with tons of rescue remedy or children's benadryl.

Was this squirrel started on antibiotics?
If not, that would be advisable.

farrelli
01-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Does the vomit smell like poop? It is true that you can be so backed up that it starts coming out the other end.

stepnstone
01-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Was this squirrel started on antibiotics?
If not, that would be advisable.

:thumbsup

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Posting for Iwonka & Manon:

Iwonka has examined the squee, she was very dehydrated. Iwonka has checked for blockage. No blockage at all, she says. Squee has peed and pooped - a pasty kind of poop. Iwonka has felt further for blockage, none. Baby's tummy is sore however - she squeaks and whimpers when pressed on tummy.

Iwonka is thinking now of going to the vet to get her sub-q'd; squee has already bitten her and Iwonka has no reliable help to hold the squue down. She is is still trying to sub-q her.

What can we give her now to eat that would be easy to digest? Peeled grapes… water melon OK? Anything else you can suggest to do and/or to feed?

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 03:31 PM
I would think watermelon would be okay, but grapes are not that easy to digest so I would avoid them. maybe formula? He is still going to get an x-ray, right?

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 03:38 PM
The visit with an x-ray is 200$ here :( Now that we know there is no blockage Iwonka wonders if it would still be needed. She was thinking of offering her some Pecan Ensure. Would that be OK?

Something we forgot to mention. Squee ate radish and radish leaves yesterday. Could that be responsible???

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Personally, I would have the X-ray done. With the possibility of string in the intestine, you want to know what is causing it. Vomiting is just such a bad thing to have happen and there is obviously something that caused it.

Chickenlegs
01-02-2014, 03:49 PM
What has the baby been eating--I mean before she was stoppered up? If the poop is pasty I guess she doesn't need foods that would give her the runs. How about some rodent block crushed and soaked in the Ensure--or Fox Valley? Maybe some Nutrical to get some nourishment into her. The last vomit was dark--could it be blood or had she eaten something dark? Maybe a nutri shake? I think Jackie in Tampa has a nutritious shake that's also yummy for a little one off it's feed.

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Transmitting the info to Iwonka. She doesn't like blocks - not the Teklad anyway. Manon was going to start making the Henry's instead. Before all this began she had been eating veggies, fruit and small amounts of nuts.

The dark vomit is most likely dried up/old blood.

farrelli
01-02-2014, 04:04 PM
I'd opt on the side of caution with the x-ray just so you know if there's any foreign bodies in there.

pappy1264
01-02-2014, 04:09 PM
Get some infant gas drops into her, as she very likely has gas built up, which can be very painful! How old is this baby? I know radishes are ok, but not sure about the leaves. Praying for this baby. If possible, I would still get xray done (but again, get the gas drops in, as if too much gas built up, may be hard to see much on xray).

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Again passing the info along.

Baby is about 6 mos old.

JLM27
01-02-2014, 04:31 PM
That dark vomit is blood, isn't it? Seems like an xray is needed to be sure what is going on here.
I guess we should take up a collection?

Nancy in New York
01-02-2014, 04:32 PM
I personally would absolutely get the x ray.
This way we KNOW what we are dealing with, and perhaps
we can find a vet that will operate if that's what it takes.
We can move mountains on TSB sometimes. :grin2

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Maybe the Fund can help with the x-ray? This really should be done to see what the most humane thing to do in the end.

Nancy in New York
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
That dark vomit is blood, isn't it? Seems like an xray is needed to be sure what is going on here.
I guess we should take up a collection?

Typically if the owner cannot afford the vet care, what we try to do is contribute a maximum of half of the cost. This is paid directly to the vet.
Not sure what the situation is here, but if anyone wants to chip in for this, please contact SammysMom or send a Paypal
donation through to her at tsbfund@sbcglobal.net and earmark it for the Canadian Baby.

Nancy in New York
01-02-2014, 04:38 PM
Maybe the Fund can help with the x-ray? This really should be done to see what the most humane thing to do in the end.

Oh SammysMom, I didn't know you were on, I just posted above. Feel free to change it as you see fit. :tilt

This does NEED to be done, NOW.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
At first the vomit looked like the same color as the dye in the fabric.
Then there was the clot....
that and now the dark color could mean something has ruptured from the violent vomiting.
In the throat or top part of the stomach, just my thoughts.

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 04:44 PM
She weighs 500 gr and the gas-x we have here is 40mg/ml. How much should we give her? As to our calculation it should be 1.1cc… is that ok or does it seem like too much?

JLM27
01-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Usually "black" or "coffee ground" vomit means the digestive enzymes have worked on it. How old is this squirrel? Is it possible the little one has cancer?

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 04:52 PM
They're on the way to the vet's. Will have more news soon as Iwonka messages me or calls me.

TubeDriver
01-02-2014, 05:18 PM
Keeping fingers crossed! :grouphug

Loopy Squirrel
01-02-2014, 05:44 PM
I think the x-ray is needed as you can't always feel a blockage and if it's string you won't feel that at all. An x-ray will show irregular intestinal patterns if there is something there hopefully. A tender belly is not good.

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Praying praying praying...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

PennyCash
01-02-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm praying with you SammysMom :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 07:43 PM
Any news?

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Iwonka is back from the vet's with the baby - this little girl is 6 mos old btw. Vet took some x-rays, there is no visible obstruction that can be seen. No obstruction that can be felt either. The dark vomit was blood that was in the stomach, half-digested. Baby was very dehydrated, vet has sub-q'd her and told Iwonka to continue the sub-q as of tomorrow morning. Vet also recommended to give the baby some vaseline/petroleum jelly - she said the oil is not enough if there is an obstruction in the throat (which she couldn't see for lack of cooperation on the part of the little lady :shakehead ).

All in all the young lady is now more "alive" but in a bad mood at the moment. :) Can't say I blame her… she's been poked, force-fed liquid, sub-q'd, thermometer up her tush, held down for x-rays… it's been a trying day for her.

So she's not out of the woods yet but definitely somewhat better than she was last night.

Thanks to Iwonka,:Love_Icon for dragging herself in 3 feet snow drifts and ice to wrestle out a cage from her tool shed and drag it back to her house… just for this young lady, thanks to her for taking the baby to the vet, for putting up with extremely panicky baby's mum and the mum's daughter. Been a sleepless night and very trying day for Iwonka, just as much as for the baby you might say.

Hubby will drive me over tomorrow morning so I can go help with the sub-q… which means I better find myself some good thick gloves it seems. That one is a biter :eek

Shewhosweptforest
01-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Wow...you guys rock :alright.gif That baby is so lucky to have your team in her corner :bowdown :Love_Icon

Loopy Squirrel
01-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Cautiously optimistic. I am glad that at least she seems to be doing better. It's a wonderful thing that Iwonka has done for this little girl and her human family.

Nancy in New York
01-02-2014, 08:08 PM
I'm glad that it seems to be going in the right direction.
Remind iwonka to have the finder check the water bottle to make sure it's working properly.
It's curious how a squirrel this age could get so critically dehydrated.
Also, get rid of that hammock!

So glad that this little one is in iwonka's care, it doesn't get any better
than the two of you working on this little one tomorrow. She won't want to
leave with two beautiful, loving nurses like both of you!
Thank you again! :bowdown

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Thank-you for the report SM! And thank you to Iwonka for going above and beyond for this little one as always!:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Yep...petroleum jelly is what I gave the cat who was in dire straits with hairballs! It woks better because it doesn't disipate like oil does.

island rehabber
01-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm glad that it seems to be going in the right direction.
Remind iwonka to have the finder check the water bottle to make sure it's working properly.
It's curious how a squirrel this age could get so critically dehydrated.
Also, get rid of that hammock!

So glad that this little one is in iwonka's care, it doesn't get any better
than the two of you working on this little one tomorrow. She won't want to
leave with two beautiful, loving nurses like both of you!
Thank you again! :bowdown

Nancy said it perfectly so I'll just say :goodpost !

SammysMom
01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
It seems like the vomiting would be the reason he is dehydrated, right?

PennyCash
01-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Cautiously optimistic as well, well done Iwonka :grouphug Will try to check again in the morning :grouphug Good luck Iwonka and Scooterzmom, I hope that you have gloves thick enough to protect you from those razors in her mouth :grouphug

01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
I'll be praying this continues in a positive direction, and this little one fully recovers. Bless you all who are helping her. :grouphug:grouphug

Chickenlegs
01-02-2014, 08:47 PM
OK--breathing again. Iwonka and Scooterzmom--you're a good team--a life saving team. Healing vibes for a lucky little squirrel girl and sainthood suspenders for her heroes.

stepnstone
01-02-2014, 08:59 PM
So happy to see there is hope...
Iwonka, many thanks to you again for going the distance!
You are truly a remarkable soul in your compassion. :grouphug

Duckman
01-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I am so relieved to hear this news! While she isn't out of the woods, she is in much better shape than we could have hoped or wished for! Now to figure out the rest of the puzzle! Thank you so much Iwonka and Scooterzmom! You two are Royalty among squirrels! (and Squirrel Lovers too!!!) :Love_Icon:Love_Icon

MJS
01-02-2014, 09:41 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Scooterzmom
01-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Thank you guys, but Iwonka's the one who did all the work. And tomorrow morning I won't have to go because Iwonka said the vet's on duty and said to bring her back for sub-q if she had no help. Mighty nice of Iwonka :thank you :Love_Icon; this will save me some 35 miles in this frigid weather - they're predicting a balmy -30F with windchill factor. Mind ya, This must be a heat wave, I'll get my bathing suit :crazy since last nite was -45F with the windchill. We'd probably have to get up in advance to see if the car would start. None of our cars would start today except Manon's. :(

You guys are getting the snow, we're getting the Arctic cold. I might have to go help on Saturday morning. Hope the temps will get better.

Keep praying for this little fuzzer girl.

PennyCash
01-02-2014, 10:50 PM
Continuing to pray :grouphug

Mountain Mama
01-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Great work!

Squirlgirl
01-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Praying for continued good news. Stay warm!:grouphug

Fireweed
01-03-2014, 12:30 PM
:grouphug

TubeDriver
01-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Thanks to all who helped this squirrel. -45 degrees? How do wild squirrels withstand that cold?:eek

stepnstone
01-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Sure would like to hear/see an update on this little one,
I hope everything has progressed in a positive outlook. :grouphug

SammysMom
01-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Just wondering how this little one is doing...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Scooterzmom
01-04-2014, 11:27 AM
The little one is holding her own so far. She's pooping, small black little poops, almost normal but black. She doesn't want to drink but she eats a bit of baby apple puree. Iwonka says she'sa real sweetheart.

I'll go over tonite to help her sub-q since the clinic will be closed. Will have more to post by then, I'm sure.

SammysMom
01-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Thank-you SM!!! Black stool is probably passing whatever old blood is still in her poor tummy...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Loopy Squirrel
01-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Glad to hear she's doing a little better. This is one lucky squirrel!:Love_Icon

Scooterzmom
01-04-2014, 12:13 PM
Thank-you SM!!! Black stool is probably passing whatever old blood is still in her poor tummy...:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

That's what we're thinking.

TubeDriver
01-04-2014, 03:24 PM
I hope he keeps improving. From the color of the poop and the vomit, the trauma should be somewhere between the stomach and the small intestine. Not sure this helps but that might rule out esophagus, large intestine, colon, rectum.

Scooterzmom
01-04-2014, 05:24 PM
I hope he keeps improving. From the color of the poop and the vomit, the trauma should be somewhere between the stomach and the small intestine. Not sure this helps but that might rule out esophagus, large intestine, colon, rectum.

I'll pass the message along. :thankyou There was nothing showing on the X-ray, that's what puzzles everyone, including the vet.

Shewhosweptforest
01-04-2014, 05:32 PM
Still waiting and holding my breath, and everything crossed for this sweet one :grouphug :Love_Icon

PennyCash
01-04-2014, 07:22 PM
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

monkey girl
01-07-2014, 06:57 AM
Still waiting and holding my breath, and everything crossed for this sweet one :grouphug :Love_Icon

Me too! :grouphug

PennyCash
01-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Me too! :grouphug

Me three :grouphug

01-07-2014, 12:04 PM
me four :Love_Icon:Love_Icon :grouphug:grouphug

Scooterzmom
01-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Alright folks, here's some long awaited news. Good news! :grin2

Here is the full protocol that was followed for our little girl Say. We still don't know what she ate, what happened exactly but we sure are glad she's putting this behind her.

IWONKA SAYS:
I got Sya on Thursday:
- very dehydrated. I tried to sub-q her but Manon, the person who has Sya, could not hold her.
- I stimulated the squirrel and she pooped – a tooth paste texture sort of poop but with normal smell and color.
- Had appointment with vet. The vet examined Sya really well. She also checked inside Sya’s mouth thoroughly. We took X-RAYs; that was the tough part. :shakehead The vet didn’t see anything wrong on it.

*I will post the x-ray picture later.
The Vet sub-q’ed Sya with 6cc and we left.

That evening and through the night Sya got only Vaseline, given orally. :eek

Friday:
3 x 6cc sub-q i.e. 9am, 1pm and 5pm
Continued with Vasleline.
At noon I gave her 2 cc of Ensure and I saw that she felt pain in the stomach. After this I tried applesauce… she liked it but I had to push it with a syringe. She felt did not feell well after eating… putting her head in between her front paws – an indication that her stomach was hurting. She produced a few normal looking poopies.

Saturday:
2 x 6cc sub-q i.e.10am and 3pm.
Her poop’s color changed to black and grainy, probably digested blood.
I subsequently gave her mashed carrots and mashed squash - 3 cc at the time.

She still didn’t want to drink by herself… I pushed water into her, each time 2cc. She refused to take more.

Sunday morning:
– Sya turned 360’ . She showed some appetite; she ate apple puree and some squash all by herself. We went to visit Scooterzmom and attempted to sub-q her but she didn’t let us. Sya was moving way to much, was stressing and we decided not to insist; she didn’t look so dehydrated by then anyway. Instead we gave her some watermelon which she took with great pleasure. She also ate a bit of carrot with good appetite.
– Back at home she drank water mixed with water melon juice.
– Poop, black, small pieces and very greasy (the Vaseline was finally coming through!) Later that evening, pooped only Vaseline.

Monday:
- moved Sya from cat carrier cage to the large cage, with hammock and a cube.
- She ate some cubes of squash, some watermelon. She also ate the Teklad blocks which Manon had never been able to make her eat. :)
- By then she also drinks all by herself.
- Poop is the color of the puree she ate, no more blood showing in it.

Today, Tuesday :
Our girl has been eating Teklads + cubes of squash + romaine + boo-balls!

Our little girl Sya is finally on the mend it seems!!!

01-07-2014, 06:52 PM
My gosh, you've all been through so much! I hope and pray the worst is behind you, and she's healthy and well, with even better days to come. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

iwonka
01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Sya and I thank each of you for your advices and prayers. :Love_Icon :grouphug

223347 223348

TubeDriver
01-07-2014, 06:57 PM
:thumbsup. I am so glad she is getting better! :grin3

Also, thank you for the detailed writeup. This info can really help with other squirrels who have similar symptoms. So basically, hydration (sub q) and vaseline and watermelon, mashed apples? Just to make sure, you did not treat with any antibiotics?

Alright folks, here's some long awaited news. Good news! :grin2

Here is the full protocol that was followed for our little girl Say. We still don't know what she ate, what happened exactly but we sure are glad she's putting this behind her.

IWONKA SAYS:
I got Sya on Thursday:
- very dehydrated. I tried to sub-q her but Manon, the person who has Sya, could not hold her.
- I stimulated the squirrel and she pooped – a tooth paste texture sort of poop but with normal smell and color.
- Had appointment with vet. The vet examined Sya really well. She also checked inside Sya’s mouth thoroughly. We took X-RAYs; that was the tough part. :shakehead The vet didn’t see anything wrong on it.

*I will post the x-ray picture later.
The Vet sub-q’ed Sya with 6cc and we left.

That evening and through the night Sya got only Vaseline, given orally. :eek

Friday:
3 x 6cc sub-q i.e. 9am, 1pm and 5pm
Continued with Vasleline.
At noon I gave her 2 cc of Ensure and I saw that she felt pain in the stomach. After this I tried applesauce… she liked it but I had to push it with a syringe. She felt did not feell well after eating… putting her head in between her front paws – an indication that her stomach was hurting. She produced a few normal looking poopies.

Saturday:
2 x 6cc sub-q i.e.10am and 3pm.
Her poop’s color changed to black and grainy, probably digested blood.
I subsequently gave her mashed carrots and mashed squash - 3 cc at the time.

She still didn’t want to drink by herself… I pushed water into her, each time 2cc. She refused to take more.

Sunday morning:
– Sya turned 360’ . She showed some appetite; she ate apple puree and some squash all by herself. We went to visit Scooterzmom and attempted to sub-q her but she didn’t let us. Sya was moving way to much, was stressing and we decided not to insist; she didn’t look so dehydrated by then anyway. Instead we gave her some watermelon which she took with great pleasure. She also ate a bit of carrot with good appetite.
– Back at home she drank water mixed with water melon juice.
– Poop, black, small pieces and very greasy (the Vaseline was finally coming through!) Later that evening, pooped only Vaseline.

Monday:
- moved Sya from cat carrier cage to the large cage, with hammock and a cube.
- She ate some cubes of squash, some watermelon. She also ate the Teklad blocks which Manon had never been able to make her eat. :)
- By then she also drinks all by herself.
- Poop is the color of the puree she ate, no more blood showing in it.

Today, Tuesday :
Our girl has been eating Teklads + cubes of squash + romaine + boo-balls!

Our little girl Sya is finally on the mend it seems!!!

SammysMom
01-07-2014, 07:00 PM
This is wonderful news and thank-you for such detailed information!!!:crazy:crazy:crazy

iwonka
01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
:flash3 Little video: http://youtu.be/f3CbmbranKE

TubeDriver
01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
:flash3 Little video: http://youtu.be/f3CbmbranKE

Awwwwww....look at her nibble away!:Love_Icon. What a sweetie! :)

01-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Oh my, Sya is beautiful!!:grin3 Such a sweetheart!! :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

iwonka
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM
This is a picture of the X-Ray.

SammysMom
01-07-2014, 07:11 PM
That was a GIANT KLUNK!!! I love it when they fold up their ears to prepare to be petted... She is beautiful...:Love_Icon

magna
01-07-2014, 08:54 PM
So glad she is doing better, having just had a simular experience with our sherman it is nerve racking to say the least. Very very very happy for you guys!!!

Ziggyspal
01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
So glad that Sya is doing better. Great work wonderful caregivers! Still sending loving thoughts.:Love_Icon

monkey girl
01-08-2014, 06:41 AM
She is such a beautiful little one. I'm so glad she's feeling better. :) :Love_Icon

island rehabber
01-08-2014, 07:20 AM
This is wonderful news, wow! Sya is gorgeous, and she has some wonderful people around her and a great vet! Good job, Manon and iwonka and Miche and everyone!

PennyCash
01-08-2014, 11:45 AM
This is wonderful news, wow! Sya is gorgeous, and she has some wonderful people around her and a great vet! Good job, Manon and iwonka and Miche and everyone!

Couldn't have said it better than this. So I will simply say :goodpost
:grouphug