PDA

View Full Version : foundling found

hehbusdriver
04-13-2006, 06:37 PM
:ohthedrama :ohthedrama have a new baby found in the road last night. feeding homemade formula 1/2 cup evaporated milk 1/2 cup water 1 strained egg yok and 1 teaspoon karo. he's eating well but another web sight says just scalded whole mik with vitamin e added. that commercial formulsa kill and that egg is not good. don't want to cause him any harm

island rehabber
04-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Hehbusdriver, PLEASE don't believe the nonsense on that website about commercial formulas....this person who wrote it had an axe to grind and is no longer allowed to rehabilitate animals. The BEST formula for baby squirrels is Esbilac powder, a puppy formula, measured one scoop of formula to two scoops of very warm water. This is the formula used for the past decade by rehabbers who typically raise 500-1000 squirrel babies per year! There is no need to add any egg, karo or anything else to it for quite a while in your baby squirrel's life. There is a lot of info on this site, The Squirrel Board, now about proper feeding techniques, etc, but the best thing for your orphaned squirrel is to work with -- or give him to -- a licensed wildlife rehabber near you. Thanks for caring about him! :thankyou

thundersquirrel
04-14-2006, 07:58 AM
island rehabber is right, and your baby will probably die if it continues on that diet. :shakehead

seriously, i don't know how people get the nerve to LIE to innocent squirrel caretakers online; their advice could have killed hundreds of squirrels by now :frustratedx . if you could give us the website name, i'd like to investigate it, but don't feel bad because it's not your fault. :nono

anyway, DO look up a local rehabber and give the squirrel to them. you can talk to them about training to become a rehabber yourself if that interests you, but until you are actually certified it's best you give the squirrel to someone who is. :thankyou not everyone would have picked up the baby and cared for it like you have.

Connie
04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
I heartily agree with the other posters about the type of formula to use for baby squirrels -- do not use any cow milk products, they will make the babies very sick and even kill them. Esbilac powder is a good formula for squirrels.

But, even better, find a squirrel rehabilitator to take the babies. There's a lot more to properly raising and releasing squirrels than using a good formula. Do the babies a favor and get them into experienced hands quickly!

Connie
New York State Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator
Specializing in newborn and juvenile gray squirrels

hehbusdriver
04-14-2006, 07:01 PM
thanks everyone. will get some esilac for the time being. but how do i find a rehabber near toms river new jersey
:grouphug

DebandDon
04-14-2006, 07:37 PM
I was told to give my baby goats milk. I can goats milk and 1 can of water. He did fine with it. I can't wait to get another baby to raise.

island rehabber
04-15-2006, 09:34 AM
As I've said before a couple times, Esbilac puppy formula is the choice of very experienced rehabbers who run major wildlife and rescue centers all over the country. For example, Chris Clark (our own Nutz4squirrels) or Shirley Casey at WildAgain in Colorado (www.ewildagain.org (http://www.ewildagain.org).) These incredible folks have raised over 1000 squirrel babies in their careers, and they use Esbilac. You can experiment, sure...you can be creative, ok....but if you want to go with what is PROVEN to work, use Esbilac. Nuff said, right? :peace

Squerly
04-15-2006, 09:52 AM
As I've said before a couple times, Esbilac puppy formula is the choice of very experienced rehabbers who run major wildlife and rescue centers all over the country. For example, Chris Clark (our own Nutz4squirrels) or Shirley Casey at WildAgain in Colorado (www.ewildagain.org (http://www.ewildagain.org).) These incredible folks have raised over 1000 squirrel babies in their careers, and they use Esbilac. You can experiment, sure...you can be creative, ok....but if you want to go with what is PROVEN to work, use Esbilac. Nuff said, right? :peace :goodpost Yeah, I think that about says it all. :bowdown