PDA

View Full Version : Neutered/Vets?

Christie189
04-05-2007, 01:23 PM
This might be a long shot but... would anyone happen to know of a vet in the St. Louis area. Or even surrounding areas. And at what age would a squirrel need to be neutered, if we choose to keep him as a pet? We aren't 100% sure what we are doing yet, but finding a vet in/around this area would be much more reassuring. We live about 20-25 minutes from the Missouri Border/St. Louis, MO. I've called at least 10 around here and no luck. None of them have experience with squirrels.

Thanks in advance for ANY help! :thankyou

Critter_Queen
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
If I were you, I'd let Bonzo decide if he's pet material. It takes a special squirrel to be happy in captivity, in my opinion. (not to mention an incredible amount of time and dedication from the owner) But, if you're both up to it, more power to you. As far as a vet is concerned, you might have trouble there without a rehabbers license...I'm not sure what MO laws are...a reliable rehabber in your area would be a good place to start.

Christie189
04-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Just to clarify, I don't live in Missouri, I live in Illinois, on the border of MO. We know that we need a permit in Illinois to have a squirrel, so we are looking into that. Not sure what the requirements are, etc... for a permit here in Illinois but we know that it costs about $25.00 - But I'll find out all the details here real soon.

I was just curious about the neutering. Not saying we are having that done. We are taking it one day a time, following Bonzo's lead and that is all we can do. We do understand that it takes a great amount of time/dedication, as my husband used to have a pet squirrel. But with all that said, we can't make that decision, that is on Bonzo and how he is once he starts maturing.

Thanks for the advice! :)

thundersquirrel
04-05-2007, 04:30 PM
don't worry too much about this yet. i think if you did decide to keep him, you wouldn't consider neutering until he was at least two or three months old.

and yes, let him decide. make sure that you don't mistake "boy i love food" for "boy i love mommy". most squirrels have the instinct to leave home and make it on their own once they reach a certain age. not all, but most, from my experience.

the little boy we have right now is a little older than bonzo. after i feed him, he likes to cuddle in my shirt and fall asleep. it's very cute. however, when i go to take him out of the cage, he still resists, so i know he'll be wild one day.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
04-05-2007, 06:20 PM
I have found the same thing. They love to cuddle and show you attention when they are young and then they start wanting to do everything on their own. And you go to pick them up and they start clawing you and trying to get away. Mine never bite or try to bite and I can tell they still know me and know that I won't hurt them, but they want to be left alone to do their wild squirrely things. I have never had one that wanted to stay with people, so I am not sure how they would act, but I know mine are always cute and cuddly and then become wild squirrels as they grow up. You will just have to watch little Bonzo and see what he chooses.

TexanSquirrel
04-05-2007, 08:47 PM
I love Bonzo.

Christie189
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM
don't worry too much about this yet. i think if you did decide to keep him, you wouldn't consider neutering until he was at least two or three months old.

Thanks. That is what I wondering!

We aren't rushing into this, but I do have Q's that peak my curiosity, so I ask. It never hurts to ask. :D