PDA

View Full Version : CONNECTICUT WILDLIFE REHAB CONFERENCE Sunday, December 8, 2013

island rehabber
12-01-2013, 09:43 PM
I LOVE the CWRA (Connecticut Wildlife Rehabilitator's Association). They give one-day seminars that are fun, informative, and professional. They are exceptionally nice people and there are always great takeaways and goodies. I go every year even though I'm in NY.

Would anyone like to go with me or just meet there next Saturday the 8th? Let me know!

Highlights of the upcoming CWRA Meeting! The CWRA Fall meeting will be held on Sunday Dec 8th at Sessions Woods in Burlington, CT, 9am -5pm. Directions: http://www.fosw.org/directions.html
We are very excited to be joined by Dr. Erica Miller of Tri-State Bird Rescue, one of the leaders in our field, and expert Dr. Shary Parker, who specializes in exotic and wild animal medicine! We’ll close with our very own Laurie Fortin giving a summary of 15 years of rehabilitating in Connecticut! Agenda topics are below. We hope you’ll plan to join us on Dec 8th for a terrific meeting! Directions
SOME AGENDA TOPICS:
What's on This Bird? And How Do I Get It Off? Few rehabilitators actually respond to large oil spills, but nearly all of us receive individual birds that are contaminated with motor oil, tar, paint, sticky traps, cooking oil, or a myriad of other substances. This presentation looks at the more common contaminants, how they affect the feathers, and how to figure out the best way to treat the bird. (Dr. Erica Miller)
Wound Management Lecture: One of the most important aspects of wildlife rehabilitation is successful wound management. To properly treat a wound, it is imperative to understand how the wound was formed and how it will heal. Wounds result from many different types of injuries and present in many different ways. Wounds covered in this lecture will include abrasions, lacerations, partial and full thickness wounds, punctures, abscesses, chronic wounds, and burns. The mechanisms of wound healing will also be discussed, followed by treatment options and techniques. A limited number of wound management materials will be evaluated for appropriate use, but the focus will be on understanding different wounds and treatment techniques. (Dr. Shary Parker)
“Happy Feet” - A Podiatric Lecture: Are you frustrated with all those wound management and critical care lectures that start at the nose and never quite get to the toes?!? Well, you’re in luck! Back by popular demand, “Happy Feet” will concentrate on the paws’n’claws! We will cover bumble foot, de-gloved paws, pad and toenail injuries, curled-toes-that-you-just-can’t-straighten, and other common foot injuries. Also included will be bandaging, splinting, sandaling and thermoplast techniques, to treat these common foot injuries. (Dr. Shary Parker)
Common Toxicoses of Wildlife: Wild animals are often affected directly and indirectly by various types of environmental toxins. Unfortunately, many toxicoses are difficult to
diagnose, and must be treated immediately (before test results are received) if the patient is to survive. This overview provides key points to recognizing the signs of common toxicants affecting wildlife in North America, an explanation of some of the diagnostics that are available, and some general treatment approaches suspected cases of toxin exposure. (Dr. Erica Miller)

SammysMom
12-01-2013, 09:50 PM
I would love to attend, but I am not sure what my schedule will be on Saturday. Would I need to give a definite ahead or can you pay at the door last minute? I would like to be licensed in CT and this would be a good start.

island rehabber
12-01-2013, 10:06 PM
It's very informal; you can just show up. Dues are 20-$25 for membership for the whole year. I'd love to see you there -- and to see you get licensed, too! :thumbsup

EDIT: SM, it's Sunday not Saturday. :)

Anne
12-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Darn,and darn-that sounds like a great day. Wow, wish we could put together something like this, on a smaller scale, for the Gathering. Wound Management Lecture and a Podiatric Lecture are especially interesting. Anyone taking a cam-corder-will there be handouts?
Why does this good stuff happen a zillon miles away?!

pappy1264
12-02-2013, 05:30 AM
If I wanted, could I go? What does it cost that day? I don't know how far that is from me, will have to mapquest it. Oh, that is 2.5 hours from me...not sure I could do that. I will see what happens with James this week.

island rehabber
12-02-2013, 06:40 AM
It would be so much fun to see either of you there -- but I know Mary that's a long ride for you.
Gayle I could pick you up on my way.....and it's SUNDAY.......:poke
no pressure, though. :grin3

Anne, ain't it the truth? Dr Erica Miller is awesome; I have gone to many of her talks. Also Dr Parker. And the Happy Feet lecture should be very helpful with all the squished, swollen, nipped and snagged squirrel toes we get around here!

pappy1264
12-02-2013, 07:59 AM
I will see how this week goes, I would LOVE to go and meet you IR! I will keep you posted.

island rehabber
12-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Not sure if I can make it now.....:( I'm pretty certain I have the flu (fever, aches, sore throat, cough) and my pal Valerie can't go with me because her husband is very ill. I'll see how it goes over the next 36 hrs.....:shakehead

SammysMom
12-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Oh I am so sorry that you aren't feeling well!!! I am still not sure whether I can go or not. Let me know if you are up to it and we will see how my schedule looks.
Feel better!

Milo's Mom
12-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Arrrrg!!! I cannot make it in person, but I do believe that Chris will be there with stuff from Auntie MM's!!! Maybe next year I'll be able to attend in person.

Do they always hold it around the same time of year?

island rehabber
12-06-2013, 07:07 PM
That's great, MM. I have a feeling I won't be making it either...my throat is on fire and if I don't pop aspirin every 4 hrs the rest of me starts burning up, too. PLUS....snow or ice is predicted for Sunday afternoon up there and MM, you know what a WUSS I am in that stuff. :ohthedrama

I can't remember if they usually hold it this time of year, but they do have them in the Spring as well.

psychobird
12-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I'm going down with a couple other rehabbers, see you there!

psychobird
12-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Come on IR buck up and come!
Wanna meet ya!

California Squirrel Lover
12-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Not sure if I can make it now.....:( I'm pretty certain I have the flu (fever, aches, sore throat, cough) and my pal Valerie can't go with me because her husband is very ill. I'll see how it goes over the next 36 hrs.....:shakehead

Oh my gosh, that's what I have!! It started coming on Thanksgiving night, before the guests even left, a little sore throat, but MAN, it got bad real fast from then on. It went into pneumonia, but that's not unusual for me, it's just one of those things once you have pneumonia it's your weak point. I feel for you, because I know how miserable this thing is!! My throat was on fire those first few days, and the aches and sweats, awful stuff. There's been a terrible headache with it too, head & sinus congestion. It's REALLY hanging on. If your immune system is better than mine, maybe you can lick it a lot faster, I hope you can anyway. Lots of tea with lemon and honey!! I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:grouphug

island rehabber
12-07-2013, 04:20 PM
That sure sounds like it, CSL.....and it's a weird bug because you don't actually get cold symptoms. No sniffles, no need for tissues....just the burning throat from hell and headache and fever. Bleagh!

SammysMom
12-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Oh good God! Get better and for heaven sake, keep that stuff to yourself...:eek :rofl4

12-07-2013, 08:43 PM
That sure sounds like it, CSL.....and it's a weird bug because you don't actually get cold symptoms. No sniffles, no need for tissues....just the burning throat from hell and headache and fever. Bleagh!

YES, burning throat from hell is right, and the headache that won't quit!! My husband has it too, same symptoms. Weird thing, I didn't get the cold symptoms 'til days into it, and I'm going through both the coughing up stuff and blowing out tons of crap. BUT, when I get sick this time of year, it almost always goes into pneumonia, and takes longer for me to get through it, so I hope this is just me, and it doesn't go on as long for you. Couple tips, breathing warm steam helps some, and if you do get to this crazy nose blowing stage, you'll need something like A & D ointment to rub around your nose, it really soothes it. I sure turned this into a fun thread, sorry!! :rotfl

pappy1264
12-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Jodi (psychobirds) went, so if anyone is going, make sure to say hi!!

island rehabber
12-08-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm so disappointed that I can't go....but I feel so lousy today because I went out for 2 hrs last night. The music was loud and I guess I was yelling in order to talk to people......now my throat is even worse. :shakehead

12-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm so disappointed that I can't go....but I feel so lousy today because I went out for 2 hrs last night. The music was loud and I guess I was yelling in order to talk to people......now my throat is even worse. :shakehead

Oh no, you went out with the fire throat?! I hate to say it, but you need to not talk at all...and not go outside if possible :eek

DarkLies212
12-08-2013, 10:53 PM
Is there something like this, but more southern?
I'm interested in eventually getting licensed, so these types of conferences sound incredibly interesting o.o

island rehabber
12-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Is there something like this, but more southern?
I'm interested in eventually getting licensed, so these types of conferences sound incredibly interesting o.o

Here's where you would start, DarkLies212, as all wildife rehabilitators are volunteers of the state they live in. The state issues your license and "governs" your actions and methodologies.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife/rehab

There are usually conferences held by the state wildlife rehab association which you can also find through these links. Once you're on the mailing list you'll know when they are held. I have always found the conferences to be incredbly informative, and a chance to learn about animals I may never have rehabbed before but might want to in the future -- or at least learn enough about them to stabilize them before getting them to the right rehabber. Plus you're with like-minded people who have no ulterior motive except they just wanna help you! Kind of like TSB. :grin2

psychobird
12-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Nwra is having its symposium in Nashville this year (march)
I'm going to that one too!!
They are really really good, you will learn so much your head will spin

DarkLies212
12-09-2013, 02:54 PM
Thank you for the link island rehabber! I'll be browsing through that constantly! :)

island rehabber
12-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Nwra is having its symposium in Nashville this year (march)
I'm going to that one too!!
They are really really good, you will learn so much your head will spin

I've been thinking of going to that one, psychobird -- I've never been to a National conference! (They are often held in cold, snowy, icy places like Minnesota and I'm a-scaird to even fly into places like that in March!)

psychobird
12-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Haha! I grew up in Minnesota! Stupid weather doesn't scare me!
You should go if you can, I went to the New York one a couple if years ago
It was absolutely amazing, they do an incredible job