PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! HAIR LOSS ON BACK!!!!

Left
04-13-2006, 11:22 AM
I have a question that i hope some of you nice people can help me with. Attached is a pic of my 8 month old squirrel "Rocky", as you can see he is loosing hair on his lower back and sides of his back legs. Is this normal for this time of year? I know they are suppose to shed one layer of hair after summer, but I have noticed other squirrels in my yard and they do not look like this. It does not seem to bother him or seem to be irratated. Trying to take him out in the sunshine more because i thought it may be vitamin d deficiency. Also i put vitamin e oil on these places each day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Squirrel Buddies!:thankyou :thankyou

Ouija's Mom
06-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I am a resent member to the squirrel board. I also have a squirrel that has lost hair on his back...did it ever grow back? If so what did you do?

Michael
06-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Mange? Ringworm?

Just an idea. Poor thing either way.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
06-06-2006, 06:07 PM
Kim

Let's eliminate things.

Mange, you would probably see red dots whelts, but maybe not. Has Rocky been around any other animals he could have caught it from?

Fungus, Is his bedding clean and dry? I found the easiest bedding is a big stack of old T-shirts and change them every day.

Bathing, can you bathe him? What shampoo are you using? I use baby no-tears.

Diet, what exactly are you feeding? what vit/Calcium sups?

thundersquirrel
06-06-2006, 08:03 PM
wow, i feel bad.

this thread was started in the beginning of april.....it's now early june. where the heck were we?

i wonder if she's even checking the board anymore...... :(

Left
06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks for responding C and D's Dad and Thundersquirel. Now Rocky's hair on his back is now coming back in. It started coming back right in the middle of the bald spot and gets a little larger every day. thank goodness. I do not see any red dots or whelts and he does not scratch any more than normal I don't think. Their are no other animals in our house either. I was his bedding almost every day. ( will do better with that!) But he has a few nests around the house that he sleeps in ,one is in a ceramic pitcher on a shelf and he has put shredded up new paper towels and napkins in it. He gets very upset if you mess with his nest also. He has another one on a top shelf in the living room he has napkins , paper towels and plastic bags in it. These are not where he sleeps at night. He usually naps in these. He does'nt like baths very much, we have to wait till he is cuddling with us and very much asleep and we wipe him off with a warm rag with a little ivory soap on it. He eats a lot of fresh beansgreen peas,sweet potatoes, some bread, nut balls all nuts, he loves watermelon, pumpkin and sunflower seeds but I am not giving him any Vitamins are supplements. What do I need to give him? Also since this picture he has a 12 ft by 8 foot cage outside and he gets a lot more sunshine. Maybe this has helped.

SquirrelyGirly
06-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I'm afraid to say but mon is losing her hair in the exact same pattern:dono

Its not that bad but it the same area and looking at this pic its headed in that direction!~

What have I done?:dono

Should I take her to the vet ASAP?

rygel1hardt
06-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Not to worry several of my rehab greys have molted in that pattern the first time and so have my flyers. It usually only happens with the first molt though. Some also get a bald head for a while and it can seem like an eternity til the hair grows back in. Stacey

SquirrelyGirly
06-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Thank you Rygel:thankyou

I've been going over and over with what I could have missed in her care routine:ohthedrama

I did not know squirrels molted:dono

thanks again:bowdown

Left
07-13-2006, 12:56 PM
I didn't know that squirrels molted either squirrelygiry. I was sure glad to hear that that is probably all it is. Thanks Rygel, now maybe squirrelgiry and i will sleep much better.:crazy :thankyou