PDA

View Full Version : Fur shedding

Tunero
11-19-2013, 06:56 PM
Hi! I posted here about a year ago regarding a 2 yr old male squirrel with a suspected calcium deficiency issue. We have been giving the little guy .1 to .2ml of calcionate syrup as a supplement in addition to his regular recommended diet, as according to the veterinarian, this will be an ongoing issue as he is an indoor squirrel. As a recent development, I have noticied a couple of swathes of fur along both haunches that run halfway up his sides where it appears the little guy has shed fur. He is not bald, but the fur in those areas appears lower in height than the fur on the rest of his body. The fur on his back is even with the fur on the rest of his body; just those areas I've mentioned, have that sunken look. I have brushed him and the brush was full of fur, and if I start plucking at little tufts of fur, they come off, but there is still fur beneath. Is the little guy molting? This is the first time I have ever noticed him with this condition. Can anyone advise me if this is something that needs to be addressed? If so, is there something I can do to correct this situation, or should I seek the services of the vet? Thanks!

SammysMom
11-19-2013, 07:03 PM
If he has a good diet and he seems overall in good health, it is probably molting.:thumbsup

Tunero
11-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks for your timely reply. Where can I purchase locally, some Harlan Teklad rodent block?

SammysMom
11-19-2013, 07:50 PM
I think that is something that you need to purchase online. I would also suggest looking at www.henryspets.com and their Henry's Healthy Blocks.

stepnstone
11-19-2013, 08:56 PM
I have noticied a couple of swathes of fur along both haunches that run halfway up his sides where it appears the little guy has shed fur. He is not bald, but the fur in those areas appears lower in height than the fur on the rest of his body. The fur on his back is even with the fur on the rest of his body; just those areas I've mentioned, have that sunken look.

I agree with SM! :thumbsup
All of the above points to molting especially with it being symmetrical.
Some of them can get the weirdest patterns...

:poke Pictures always helps. :grin3