PDA

View Full Version : Rabies

Binky4075
11-12-2013, 09:19 PM
People ask me all the time "Aren't you worried about rabies?" The thought never crossed my mind. I found Jeffrey when he was about 4 weeks old. He is now about 17 weeks and beautiful and healthy. Any thoughts on what I can say to these people?

Klass
11-12-2013, 09:28 PM
From what i understand squirrels aren't carriers of rabies, animals like raccoons are.

If you are looking for a source,

In the United States today, about 93 of every 100 reported cases of rabies are in wild animals. Raccoons are the most common wild animal with rabies.

Some other common wild animals that may have rabies are skunks, coyotes, bats, and foxes. It would be really unusual for rats, mice, squirrels, or groundhogs to get rabies, but it does happen.

The CDC Info page ("http://www.cdc.gov/rabiesandkids/animals.html)

Shewhosweptforest
11-12-2013, 09:30 PM
I alway say " google squirrel rabies outbreaks in your area" ZERO That usually shuts them up because people "always believe what they see on the Internet" :thumbsup

JLM27
11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Refer them to the CDC website (Center for Disease Control, THE authority in the US for infectious diseases). The CDC states unequivocally that squirrels are not carriers of rabies. Squirrels do not survive attacks that would cause rabies long enough to incubate the disease and pass it on. If you don't believe me, go to any major medical center and say "I was bitten by a squirrel. I want a rabies shot." You will find out that they will refuse to give you a rabies shot, because the protocol from the CDC says no.

Also, you would have to report an unprovoked attack to even get a doctor to come out in the ER to talk to you. (He/she still wouldn't give you a rabies shot).

Now tetanus is another matter.

BamaHam
11-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Refer them to the CDC website (Center for Disease Control, THE authority in the US for infectious diseases). The CDC states unequivocally that squirrels are not carriers of rabies. Squirrels do not survive attacks that would cause rabies long enough to incubate the disease and pass it on. If you don't believe me, go to any major medical center and say "I was bitten by a squirrel. I want a rabies shot." You will find out that they will refuse to give you a rabies shot, because the protocol from the CDC says no.

Also, you would have to report an unprovoked attack to even get a doctor to come out in the ER to talk to you. (He/she still wouldn't give you a rabies shot).

This is true. I have a friend who is a nurse anesesthesis (however its spelled) he worked in ER and says the same thing. They'll give you a tetanus shot and send you home. Infection is the only thing to worry about. I think its the same with possums.

Rhapsody
11-13-2013, 02:23 AM
I tell them if "squirrels carry rabies" I should of died 100x times over already........ :grin3

island rehabber
11-13-2013, 06:04 AM
I tell them if "squirrels carry rabies" I should of died 100x times over already........ :grin3

That's my line, too! The Squirrel Board itself would also have very few members...soon as somebody finds a squirrel and comes on here, they would play with the squirrel, get a nip or two, and keel over.....:deadhorse :grin3

Even the New York City Department of HEalth, which despises all living things in nature and believes they are trying to kill us :ohthedrama, admits on their website that squirrel bites are "not of concern to the public." :thumbsup

Scott_FL
11-13-2013, 07:39 AM

Not all doctors think this way. My sister-in-law here in Florida was badly bitten by her own squirrel that had been released in a wildlife refuge 5 miles from her home, but returned to her a week later. When the neighborhood children told her that he was back she was skeptical, but went out to see. It jumped on her arm when she reached out for him. He was fine until one of the kids screamed and scared him, causing him to chomp down on her arm. He ran off and has not been seen since. She needed stitches and the doctor insisted she get a rabies series even though it was her squirrel. She said it was like someone injecting her with Elmer's Glue, it was so thick. Three large injections in her backside. The positive side is that they said for humans you only need the shots once in a lifetime so she is covered. She works with raccoons, foxes, and other potential carriers often, so that is a bonus.

Had her squirrel not run off and been able to be quarantined she would not have needed the shots. My daughter was bitten by one of our girls and needed stitches, but did not have to do the shots since we had her for Animal Control to view and make sure we quarantined her.

Some doctors do not read the protocol or care about statistics.

Anne
11-13-2013, 08:14 AM
Please remember that even when Doctors graduate from School and then take their States test to practise-------There is always that one at the very bottom of the class! That person still is called--Doctor! What's scary is someone has an appointment with him(her) at 8 AM this morning!:eek

Binky4075
11-13-2013, 08:40 AM

I LOVE this answer! Thank you everyone for the information and now I feel that I am armed with some terrible answers when people ask me that. I love my squirrel, Jeffrey, we snuggle, I kiss him and rabies never ever came to mind. :thankyou