PDA

View Full Version : pee pee PEE!

puppetgal
11-01-2013, 04:27 PM
So my wee widdle guy isn't so little anymore and he has adjusted to his new home in his bigger cage. I have logs and brush for him to climb on. There are shelves for him to sit on and eat when he wants a rest. He used to pee in one area of the cage. Now? not so much. I've noticed he pees just about on every shelf now and even on one of the logs its covered in urine. Its starting to stink. I have an air freshener that spurts out stuff every so often to control the odor. But when you are close to the cage its pretty prominent. I do clean his shelves and put bedding and stuff down for him to snuggle and burrow in. I'm thinking the water bottle he has is the culprit. He needs water to drink obviously. Is there anything you can suggest to keep the smell to a minimum other than constantly be in his cage cleaning it? I've got that carefresh stuff for my hamster and put some in a small box that he gets in and rolls around in it. I'm:soapbox at a loss! Please suggestions are needed!

SammysMom
11-01-2013, 04:36 PM
That spraying air freshener is not a good idea for near him. Their sinuses are very sensitive. What is it about the water bottle that you think is the culprit. They mark by peeing so that is likely why he is doing it. You will just need to find something washable to pine with to keep the odor down.

puppetgal
11-01-2013, 04:41 PM
The air freshener is not really near him at all its up high. He drinks a lot so its safe to assume that the water has got to come out somehow. I have put fleece in his cage before looks like that needs to happen again. The bare shelving is pooling the pee.
I'm wiping it out daily. Gotta keep him clean and happy.

That spraying air freshener is not a good idea for near him. Their sinuses are very sensitive. What is it about the water bottle that you think is the culprit. They mark by peeing so that is likely why he is doing it. You will just need to find something washable to pine with to keep the odor down.

SammysMom
11-01-2013, 04:55 PM
Fleece isn't absorbent. I find that using something cotton worked better. Like cotton dishtowels. Try wiping up the pee and putting that towel where you would like hm to pee. Like in the corner or in the box of Carefresh. I am not saying it will work, but it is worth a try.

IrishHarps
11-01-2013, 09:50 PM
For your own sake and the squirrel's, try to use a more natural method of deodorizing other than air freshener. Those things are full of all sorts of nasty chemicals. I use vinegar or lemon juice to de-smell my squirrel's cage, and sprinkle baking powder on the bottom of the cage. Wipe down areas that have been peed on with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water. Vinegar is a natural disinfectant :) If the room has carpet, sprinkle baking soda on it, wait 15 minutes, then vacuum. Vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice have always worked much better for me than chemicals. Bonus, it's healthier and cheaper!

puppetgal
11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Good suggestion I will try it.. thanks!

Fleece isn't absorbent. I find that using something cotton worked better. Like cotton dishtowels. Try wiping up the pee and putting that towel where you would like hm to pee. Like in the corner or in the box of Carefresh. I am not saying it will work, but it is worth a try.

SammysMom
11-02-2013, 07:20 PM
:thumbsup

Squazoo
11-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Our little girl has a small cardboard box with litter in it we put it in the spot she peed at and now always uses the litter box even when shes out for playtime maby that will work with your furry friend too.:grin3

Duckman
11-04-2013, 01:05 AM
I have to admit your lucky. My Rex climbs up on the side of his cage and always pees "standing up"!:flush I had to put garbage bags on the side that he pees at, so that it would not get on the wall and floor. It runs off that into a cake pan that I clean daily. I haven't found any way to stop him from doing this, in 2 years.:surrender

Squazoo
11-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Tweaky did that a few times too untill we built her a big cage then the litterbox worked. Was kinda funny she had just had her eyes open for about two weeks and one day my wife was sitting at the computer and a stream of pee flys across the table so we put towels around her cage for a while untill i had the big cage finished for her.

Duckman
11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Tweaky did that a few times too untill we built her a big cage then the litterbox worked. Was kinda funny she had just had her eyes open for about two weeks and one day my wife was sitting at the computer and a stream of pee flys across the table so we put towels around her cage for a while untill i had the big cage finished for her.

Unfortunately, Rex is in his big cage (7' tall x 5' long x 3' wide). He just doesn't like urine in his cage and won't use any type of a litter box (he plays in the litter!). We even put a box of dirt in his box, and boy did he have a blast throwing it everywhere while he was playing (and DIG DIG DIG all night and day!!!), but he wouldn't use it to pee in. Grrrr, so the garbage bag solution is the only one that works (to save the walls and carpet!). :sanp3