PDA

View Full Version : how to "discipline" or show affection properly

ellymay
10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Hello! New to the squirrel world and I have just a quick question. How do I properly discipline.. meaning when my maybe 10 to 12 week old squirrel chews on something he shouldn't or nibbles a little too harshly on me how do I properly without hurting the bond between us assert my dominance or discipline so he stops? So far its a firm No no! And taking away whatever it is but he just gets fussy and tries harder. Also he is very affectionate as in he readily comes to me or if I'm laying down feels safe enough with me to crawl into my lap or as close as he can get and go to sleep while I pet him. I just want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong or if I can bond more how to. Oh and what about jealousy issues? Heaven forbid I have to answer my phone while he is with me. he ATTACKS it. Any help is appreciated thank you !

MollyBear361
10-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Not sure there is a way to discipline them from chewing on something that they're not supposed to....everything's fair game to them. Maybe someone else can chime in. I know if they play or bite to hard you are supposed to squeal and yelp loud and high....like a sibling would if they were playing and one got too rough. That's how they know . If you've every seen siblings play you would understand.

SammysMom
10-28-2013, 07:39 PM
In general, "discipline" is a word you can toss when it comes to squirrels. If I say "no" in a rough voice Sammy comes after me...lol Squeaking when they are too rough with you is very good advice from MollyBear. Other than that, get used to their remodeling.:sanp3

ellymay
10-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Thank you both! Never tried the squealing. I understand the whole wild thing and frankly it doesn't bother me much just the occasional rougher housing. I can always tell when he is about to get rough...he does this...wind up dance lol quite adorable. I just don't want to do anything wrong by him so I like to ask

farrelli
10-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Welcome to TSB. Seeing that you're new, the requisite question is, "Please tell us what you feed him and how much." More people than you would ever believe think they are feeding correctly and actually causing a lot of harm.

lilidukes
10-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Squirrels are very single minded when they are
intent on something. You have to distract them
from their destructive or potentially harmful
activities. I make a very negative sound that
all my kids stop and look at me when I do it. I
don't do it very loud and I try to follow the sound
with the guilty squees name.
My kids know when they are being bad and they
light up my heart with the smirk they give me. lol

Never underestimate their intelligence and
hardheadedness. :grin3

ellymay
10-28-2013, 08:08 PM
I think it is Kaycee or kaytee brand hamster or mouse or gerbil or rat food forgive me it isn't infront of me. But the pellet things and carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, he has calcium blocks and chew sticks for his teeth. He started on formula recommended by the vet. He has done really well since I first got him weeks ago...he stole an apple chip from me earlier but those are high in sugar so I don't particularly think I will be feeding him those haha. As for how much...he eats about two or three of the pellets and while the veggies and nuts are always in there he varies between his mood I guess. but a half sprig or more sometimes. his calcium blocks are fair in size but he seems to eat a bit of it a day. His poo is brown and hard and pellets. Urinates frequently and seems happy enough. Except for the dreaded no word lol

ellymay
10-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Oh no kidding! I was very surprised at how smart he is. And yes he knows what No means very well lol

MollyBear361
10-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Do you mind stating what kind of formula? Even vets are not very knowledgable about squirrels . Not trying to harp. We are all just trying to make sure you have the best advice. Fox Valley makes a formula specific for squirrels and is great. You should really limit corn, nuts, fruit, and seeds as that diet can lead to MBD which is fatal. He should be on blocks and mostly veggies. And formula until he weans himself (some never do and still like the formula snack). Just trying to help you and have your little guy live a long and health squirrely life. :grin2

MollyBear361
10-28-2013, 08:17 PM
You should also look up Henry's Healthy blocks specifically made for squirrels that you order on internet. That way you KNOW he's getting all he needs. Did you mention he or she? A name? :grin

SammysMom
10-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Okay, not to be a jerk, but what kind of formula is it? Vets often know noting about squirrels and it does not stop them from giving out information as though they do. Also, Kaytee makes a few different thing some of which are good and others not so good. Forget the sunflower seeds! Go to our nutritional forum and read it all. :thumbsup

farrelli
10-28-2013, 08:27 PM
You do have to be very careful about diet. Kaytee Forti-Diet is and OK block, but you must be sure it's that. If it's not the blue bag, you could be doing harm. As stated, the best blocks where you know that you're providing proper nutrition are Henry's:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

If he's young, we recommend that they take formula for as long as they want it and transition to blocks. Only when they are eating blocks with gusto are other foods introduced because if they get too many treats, getting them to eat healthy can be very difficult in the long run. Below you will find the guide to a proper adult diet. They should get the bulk of their nutrition from a quality block.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

As stated, sorry if it sounds like we're really adamant about this but we are. Squirrels are really susceptible to some diseases that are purely diet related. Probably the majority of people who show up here in a panic could have avoided their problems with proper nutrition.

ellymay
10-28-2013, 08:29 PM
It was fox valley formula and he has weaned himself off already. I am definitely going to look into the squirrel specific blocks and his name is Trooper. My friend is a mechanic and had been watching him...his mom had been killed while we suspected she was moving him. No one came to get him and he just stayed with her. He is a friend of my vet as well and picked him up and took him to him. My vet called to see if I would watch him and that is how he ended up with me.

ellymay
10-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Oh my gosh the food pyramid link rocks! It is the blue bag that I do know and I'm already ordering the other pellets :-) thank you all so much!

ellymay
10-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Any thoughts on healthy toys?

MollyBear361
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Great! Just back off on the nuts and seeds. Sounds like you've gotten some good advice and Trooper is lucky to have you. :thumbsup

SammysMom
10-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Stuffed animals without plastic parts for them to pull off and choke on, paper towel rolls, tissues, sticks etc. are terrific for playing.

weedot
10-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Are you planing on releasing him back to the wild? or is he a non-release do to an injury?

Chickenlegs
10-28-2013, 10:39 PM
A squirrel with a box of tissues is a happy happy squirrel!

Scooterzmom
10-28-2013, 11:37 PM
A roll of toilet paper is Heaven for them. Victor destroyed the entire roll in a single night and stuffed each little piece in his sleeping pouch. He could barely fit in there anymore :rolf

The cardbord center of the roll is fun too... especially if you rub it with a tad of peanut putter - just for the scent. Hubby took branches and the leftover round pieecs of wood (from the entrance holes of the nests he made) and hung those on a small chain, to make them a kind of chewable mobile. They love it.

sid'smommy
10-29-2013, 12:02 AM
Squirrel discipline ??:rofl4 Thats as easy as nailing jello to a tree. LOL.
Actually, there are ways of showing them that they did something wrong. When Squidsy got too rough, I would firmly say OUCH. She would come right back and inspect the spot to see what the damage was and then continue on... if she did it again, I would say ouch again, then put her back in the cage and say ouch when I closed the door. I would walk away without giving her a treat. She would pancake out on the hammock and sulk for a while, then start showing off with her dance moves, then resort to limping for attention. I did not speak to her during this time. I usually waited about 10-15 minutes before letting her back out. It didnt take long for her to learn. However, if someone else said ouch or jumped, they usually got bit. I dunno why. I guess she knew they were "not da momma". Always remember to give a treat when going back in cage voluntarily. As far as biting things, well, thats probably not gonna happen. Mine only showed remorse when they knew they hurt me. The coffee table didnt feed them, bathe them, or cuddle them... and therefore, must be bitten. Of course, I would say Ah Ah AHH... and she would do the Tigger bounce across the couch, as though she had the giggles.... which are contagious. Oh yeah, and when you laugh at something they do, they feel the need to keep doing it.. show-offs :grin3

sdreamcatcher
10-29-2013, 12:13 AM
When my boys played too rough with me, I would say OW! until they stopped. If they didn't play gentler, I would stop playing for a bit and wait for them to settle a bit. Baby squirrels learn FAST! Keep in mind they do seem to go through a rough phase; mine did. But they are quick to learn :). I NEVER used anything more then a squirt bottle to keep them from getting into things. Keeping them busy with things they CAN chew and destroy is the best way to go. Stuffed animals ("stuffies"), fresh tree branches from SAFE trees, safe nesting materials (polyfil), etc....

sdreamcatcher
10-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Actually, there are ways of showing them that they did something wrong. When Squidsy got too rough, I would firmly say OUCH. She would come right back and inspect the spot to see what the damage was and then continue on... if she did it again, I would say ouch again, then put her back in the cage and say ouch when I closed the door. I would walk away without giving her a treat. She would pancake out on the hammock and sulk for a while, then start showing off with her dance moves, then resort to limping for attention. I did not speak to her during this time. I usually waited about 10-15 minutes before letting her back out. It didnt take long for her to learn. However, if someone else said ouch or jumped, they usually got bit. I dunno why. I guess she knew they were "not da momma". Always remember to give a treat when going back in cage voluntarily. As far as biting things, well, thats probably not gonna happen. Mine only showed remorse when they knew they hurt me. The coffee table didnt feed them, bathe them, or cuddle them... and therefore, must be bitten. Of course, I would say Ah Ah AHH... and she would do the Tigger bounce across the couch, as though she had the giggles.... which are contagious. Oh yeah, and when you laugh at something they do, they feel the need to keep doing it.. show-offs :grin3

YES!!!! NEVER giggle at them when they do something wrong; it only encourages them!!!! :grin3

ellymay
10-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Awesome!!!! Thank you all so much for all of the suggestions they're all really very helpful. I'm cutting back on snack foods and having a shipment of the squirrel pellets you suggested on the way! :-D

Toddy
10-29-2013, 07:07 AM
I found that clapping my hands loudly stopped Tod dead in her tracks if I caught her doing something naughty, like chewing on something that she wasn't supposed to. The squirt bottle worked too, but I never had it close by, so by the time I found it, she had already stopped her bad behaviour. So clapping was much easier for me!

Most important is keeping them occupied and entertained. They won't get into mischief if they are busy playing :crazy

ALittleNutty
10-29-2013, 08:48 AM

LOL at the limping to get attention!

I use the universal "Aaaant" sound. Low tone, harsh and gutteral, sort of make it in the back of your throat. Works for kids, dogs and squirrels.

Squirrel Girls Mom
10-29-2013, 09:30 AM
LOL at the limping to get attention!

I use the universal "Aaaant" sound. Low tone, harsh and gutteral, sort of make it in the back of your throat. Works for kids, dogs and squirrels.

OMG, that's exactly what I do!! :rotfl I started doing it with my kids when they were little so I didn't have say "no" all the time. I tried to save "no" for something dangerous. Anyway, it worked for them and works great for squirrels and various critters, including grandsons. :thumbsup

ALittleNutty
10-29-2013, 09:38 AM
OMG, that's exactly what I do!! :rotfl I started doing it with my kids when they were little so I didn't have say "no" all the time. I tried to save "no" for something dangerous. Anyway, it worked for them and works great for squirrels and various critters, including grandsons. :thumbsup

I used to conduct tours of an antebellum home where you aren't supposed to touch things, even the children who didn't speak English understood it. :)