PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin seeds

gracies mom
10-27-2013, 12:34 PM
My squirrels favorite seeds are pumpkin seeds. We carved a pumpkin last night, can anyone tell me how to prepare these for Gracie? I'm not sure if I just rinse them off and let them dry, or if I should bake them!!

SammysMom
10-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I think baking them makes them last longer without the threat of molding.

Sweet Simon's Mommy
10-27-2013, 12:42 PM
They love them but seeds aren't good for them, don't give too many , only as a special treat.
plus seeds make them mean.
Roasted with out any salt is best.

CrazySquirrelLady
10-27-2013, 01:40 PM
seeds make them mean? tell me more!

put pumpkin seeds after rinsing on flat baking sheet that has been sprayed with pam lightly.

bake at 225 for 15 minutes or so, keep eye on them if they get toohot will burn easy.

gracies mom
10-27-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info.... She doesn't eat lots of them, but she does hide them, and she only hides her favorite foods!! I will bake them and then freeze , that way I can take out what I need !!

island rehabber
10-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Pumpkin seeds have a high phosphorous - to -calcium ratio, unfortunately, which makes them a bad food for captive or "pet" squirrels. It's fine to let wilds have them, because they are also running around getting all the natural foods available to squirrels outdoors. Indoor squirrels are often 'MBD waiting to happen', so you want to avoid foods that are high in phosphorous for that reason. Same problem with corn and sunflower seeds, which they also love.

Unikorngrrl
10-27-2013, 09:30 PM
I was coming on to post that I was under the impression that those were one of the worst of the worst things to feed. I saved some squash seeds that are almost like pumpkin only smaller. I might give one per month to my adults, but I'm not even sure that often. Too scared of being stuck in an "I told you so" situation. Nothing would make me feel more horrible.

Shewhosweptforest
10-27-2013, 09:40 PM
:dono :shakehead Poor Baby ...she gets a handful a day...not all at once...but in the am and pm ...man ..what's something healthy I can give her that she'll want ....she does eat her two picky blocks and kale everyday...I still give nuts (hazelnuts, pecans in the shell) but its ok she just hides them...and when she goes nighty, night I retrieve them:grin3 What's a mommy to do???
:sorry Didn't mean to thread jack ...just shocked :(

Unikorngrrl
10-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Henry's carries the peanut sticks. I cut them into cubes and freeze them and give them as a treat. I'll also do teeney tiny pieces of sweet potato. For my babies, about half the size of a pea and for the adults about the size of a quarter but sliced about like a cucumber thickness. :dono I'm not saying they're perfect, but they do love them. Someone else's opinion may be that those are bad. Small chunks of apple, one each. Or a half of a red seedless grape. A pinch of granola or oatmeal. Again, just little ideas, not a rule by any means. Do understand that it's one or the other though, I don't feed all of them in one day and VERY rarely more than one of those suggestions in one day. We sit and eat nuts together once or twice a week. Since I dont give them daily, I'll give them 2 or 3 that day but Mommy gets more! The babies just had their first nuts today though. Hickory. Dental care :grin2 Um... :thinking I'm sure others will have suggestions too.

Klass
10-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Pumpkin seeds have a high phosphorous - to -calcium ratio, unfortunately, which makes them a bad food for captive or "pet" squirrels. It's fine to let wilds have them, because they are also running around getting all the natural foods available to squirrels outdoors. Indoor squirrels are often 'MBD waiting to happen', so you want to avoid foods that are high in phosphorous for that reason. Same problem with corn and sunflower seeds, which they also love.

Wow, I'm really glad I read this! I was planning on getting a pumpkin just so I could get the seeds for Bobby! :thankyou

GTSally
10-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I am going to carve my pumpkin for Halloween on Wednesday. I am attempting a squirrel "etched and carved" pattern. I will take a picture and post it if it turns out ok:tilt I was planning on saving the seeds and giving them to my wild squirrels I feed in the park, as a treat for Halloween:smiley_vampire I just didn't know whether to bake them or not? Didn't know if my wild squirrels would care one way or the other? They seem to be picky.