PDA

View Full Version : Learning to pee

katiebug
10-23-2013, 09:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm bottle feeding a 5-6 week old baby that I have had for about 2-3 days now, and she is learning how to pee.

She has started peeing all over the table during feeding, which isn't a problem since we have a rag down and she stands very still with her tail curled up until done, or mostly done. But there also times when we pull her out of the cage and her lower stomach and back legs are wet with urine. Any recommendations to preventing urine burn? Is this normal?

She definitely has started to smell like a rodent. My expectations about how a squirrel would smell were wrong lol.

squirrellove89
10-23-2013, 09:46 PM
put a lil bit of baby aquaphor on her thats what i did with gabby. unless any of the other more experienced members have any objections to this? but it worked well for me =)

squirrellove89
10-23-2013, 09:48 PM
also wash her blankets in apple cider vinegar and baking soda it will take care of the smell =)

katiebug
10-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks! Also, can squirrels be potty trained?

Rhapsody
10-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Also, can squirrels be potty trained?Do Pigs Fly? --lol. :poke :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

ALittleNutty
10-23-2013, 10:10 PM
My flyers use their litter pan.....most of the time, lol! If I catch them in the act I praise them so maybe they will be more consistent over time.

katiebug
10-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Do Pigs Fly?
If you ship them by air. lol :grin3

What age should a litter pan be introduced?

Yes, I have lots of questions! I only know the bare minimum.

farrelli
10-23-2013, 11:11 PM
You should wipe them down with baby wipes to avoid burn. Are you stimulating them to pee? What are you feeding them, how much, and how often?

Rhapsody
10-24-2013, 01:06 AM
In my 7 years of rehabbing I have never had a squirrel that would litter train. Some squirrels do go in the same corner or spot to pee, therefore,
you might be able to place a small litter tray under that area, but I wouldnt hold my breath. If my squirrels need to be cleaned up during the day I
generally use an unscented natural baby wipe to clean them up with. You can wash them with baby shampoo if watery poop is involved.

katiebug
10-29-2013, 11:53 AM
At the moment, I feed her as much as she will eat. We just moved the feedings from every 4hrs to every 6hrs because she wasn't eating a whole lot at each feeding. Currently, she ranges anywhere from 3cc-7/8cc. But lately she isn't eating more than 6. I think it is because she is beginning to eat solids consistently. I stimulate each feeding, still. I'm feeding the new probiotic esbilac with heavy cream (I had the other discussion labelled esbilac)

ALittleNutty
10-29-2013, 12:09 PM
As to when to try and litter train I just put the pan in as soon as I get them and then place their "accidents" in there and they get used to going in that area. It's not 100% but anytime they go I praise them and it does help with keeping the cage clean.