PDA

View Full Version : Questions for those in states where Squirrels are legal pets

QuestionsAboutSquirrels
10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
While the stat I am in does not allow squirrels as pets (and this is in no way a statement as to whether they should or shouldn't be), I know that some states it is legal to have a pet squirrel. For those of you out there who legally have pet squirrels I am curious about your view on leashes for squirrels. I have seen photos of people putting squirrels on squirrel sized leashes and it seems like it would be a bad idea. I'm no expert on the matter however, but I was curious to hear from those who are.

ALittleNutty
10-20-2013, 09:34 PM
I don't agree with it if by leash you mean something around the neck, but a vest like they make for ferrets or guinea pigs would be okay as long as it was fitted properly. It would also depend a lot on the individual squirrel. Some animals just can't stand being restrained and will hurt themselves trying to escape.

I have flyers and if we have to go out of the house they are in a carrier, cage, or a secure bonding bag. I don't want to risk losing them or have anyone that may be scared of them, panic and hurt them.

farrelli
10-20-2013, 09:54 PM
I think only one or two states are legal, so most people here are outlaws! Some do use the leash and harness but I think that all who do have trained them for it since they were very tiny. Moreover, many do manage to get out of them, so you'd have to be super sure they can't before letting him outside.

Rhapsody
10-20-2013, 10:26 PM
No matter if the State is legal or not...... I feel the leash ideal for a Squirrel can be HARMFUL to them, therefore, WRONG!!

SammysMom
10-20-2013, 10:29 PM
May I ask why you are curious about this?