PDA

View Full Version : Hi...

CountryNCrafty
10-03-2013, 12:45 AM
my name is Danielle. Last night my MIL brought me a flying squirrel to take care of that her cats had gotten a hold of, I checked it over and do not see any damage. I actually breed and raise sugar gliders, but would like some advice on this girl. Here's what I know about her/SFS:

They are nocturnal (like gliders)
She's 56g so estimated 7-8 weeks
She is not dehydrated (I've already checked)
Last night she had some pumpkin and berries along with water from a glass bowl
She is not going anywhere near my gliders

Here's what I don't know:
1) What exact formula is needed for her? I read that she still needs to be supplemented for another 4-6 weeks but could never find with what or how often. I have esiblac and wombaroo for sugar glider joeys on hand as well as syringes etc.

2) If we want to keep her or not, I'm of the mind to get her to a rehabber, however hubby wants to keep her (they are legal here). So pro's and cons of that.

3) Any other advice would be helpful. I tried to search through the forums but it's confusing >.<

TIA!

CountryNCrafty
10-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Pictures:

Yes she is currently in a towel :(, this is what my MIL brought her over in and I have not had the opp to get her a nest box yet.

astra
10-03-2013, 02:28 AM
Welcome, Danielle!

I am not a flyer expert and have very little time, so i'll just say some basics and experts will add and/or correct.

If she was cat caught, then, a round of ABs may be needed. Cat saliva is deadly, and sometimes you can't see the tiny punctures and scratches.
Do you have any ABs on hand, like Baytril, or its human equivalent Cipro?

Terry type of cloths like towels are not good b/c their claws can get caught in loops and be damaged. Anything smooth: old tshirts, fleece etc are best.

Yes, will need formula.
I will let experts to elaborate on this one.

Sorry, don't remember: is she on a heating pad?
Put a heating pad under half of her container (so that she can move off if too hot), but not inside the container.
hydration first, but dn't give pedialyte for more than 24 hrs.

If you have meds - get her weight in grams and post your med's name, strength, form etc. And someone here will help you dose it.

stepnstone
10-03-2013, 02:31 AM
:Welcome to TSB!

She is a real cutie! :Love_Icon
I have sent pm's to a couple of our experenced flyer members
directing them to your thread. :thumbsup

edit: :thankyou for jumping in astra. :grin3

pappy1264
10-03-2013, 05:06 AM
She is adorable! Yes, you will need to get antibiotics. As far as formula, for now, you can go to the grocery store, pick of goats milk, full fat yogurt and heavy cream to make a formula you can feed for now, but you will need to order fox valley (google fox valley nutrition, get the 32/40). Also, you should pick up a quality rodent block, Mazuri is a good one, Petsmart sells it. Another others use is Kaytee, or you can order Tekland Harland blocks. Also you should order Henry's Healthy Pets blocks for flyers to feed. They NEED protein, so live waxworms, superworms or mealworms (waxies seem to be the favorite. They must be live.) Other food to offer are greens (I get spring mix), cucumber, squash,blueberries, avocado (no skin or pit), a little apple, mushrooms (for the vitamin D. Shi take are my flyers favorite, but they will also eat baby bellas as well). I also give a couple times a week (when she is older) a few black stripe sunflower seeds. And when older, one nut for a treat (I tend to give almonds, but a 1/4 piece of pecan is fine as well. Do not give lots of nuts, as not the best and they will fill up on those and not eat good foods for them.) Also, get calcium carbonate to dust the bugs with as well. Natural foods (branches with lechen are one) are also fed. Make sure she is still half on low heat (a no shut off heating pad). Also make sure bar spacing is no larger then 1/2 inch, just like gliders. I have gliders and flyers as well. Others will chime in but that is what came to mind w/o my coffee...lol But you will need those abs now, so if you don't have any, call your glider vet and ask for baytril.

Skul
10-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Hardly any need at all for me to say anything. :grin2
I might mention about the formula. (FV of course) Start with a 3 to one mix of water to FV powder. 3 tsp water, one of powder and add one tsp of all natural yogurt. Feed this for a couple days, and watch what her poops look like. If not runny, you can go to a two to one ratio (with yogurt of course). After a couple more days, and all is normal, then add in one part heavy cream.
If at any time you notice a drastic change, back off to the previous mix for a couple days, then return to the new.
If you do plan on keeping her, I would strongly suggest you get her in a bonding pouch to hang around your neck.
Keep her with you as much as you possibly can.

island rehabber
10-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Excellent advice all around -- please listen to every word pappy and Skul wrote here and this baby will be fine. I personally would also give antibiotics for 4-5 days because of the cat's mouth and the deadly pasturella their saliva contains.

Also: forget everything you know about sugar gliders. This is a flying squirrel. Sugar gliders are non-native marsupials, so it's like comparing a kangaroo from Australia to a white-tailed deer in New York. Similar faces; that's about it.

pappy1264
10-03-2013, 07:15 AM
I wrote that before coffee...that should read 'Harland Tekland rodent blocks'...lol

here is where you order the Henry's flyer blocks: http://www.henryspets.com/products/Flyer-Blocks.html

here is the Harland Tekland blocks: http://www.thecraftyrat.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FS_02lb&Category_Code=FS

Fox Valley: http://www.foxvalleynutrition.com/product-lines/milkreplacers/day-one-32-40/

syringes: http://www.henryspets.com/sklar-o-ring-syringe-1-cc/

nipples (more expensive but so worth it!): http://www.henryspets.com/miracle-nipple/

Hope that helps.

Charley Chuckles
10-03-2013, 07:30 AM
:Welcome and I see the flyer experts are here for you :thumbsup What a QT-PIE :grin3

ALittleNutty
10-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Since you already have gliders you know a lot of the basics since they are similiar. Biggest difference in diet is flyers are higher protein and calcium, so easy on fruit. They can have cooked chicken(no seasoning) with the bones and cooked egg whites. Flyers don't have the scent glands like the gliders so they are a lot less "smelly". Be sure to clean all formula off the fur otherwise it will fall out. Unscented/sensitive skin baby wipes are great and you can cut into small squares. Offer water in a small crock with stones as filler so drowning isn't a hazard and change it daily. A walnut size rock, cuttle bone or antlers are great for keeping the teeth worn down. Nail growth can be worn down by a rough, flat rock under the water or food dish.

CrazySquirrelLady
10-03-2013, 09:33 AM
i have never seen a flyer in real life, so I wonder how ya'll can even tell it is a BABY! lol. Look at that tail! so bushy!

anyways :Welcome to TSB!

p.s. I have the exact mate to that TOWEL !!!! shock shock they made 2. Will gladly share so you can have a PAIR of 1970s orange towels. those suckers held up didn't they. I was like in shock when i saw another one! lol

Unikorngrrl
10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
I didn't read thoroughly, but I can tell you that at 56 grams, that is no 7 or 8 week old!! Much older. 5-6 months, if that hasn't already been said! :thumbsup

CountryNCrafty
10-09-2013, 12:48 AM
Sorry I haven't come back....I took her to the vet but she didn't make it. Thank you all for the advice (though unfortunately I wasn't able to use it).

sdreamcatcher
10-09-2013, 01:10 AM
Sorry I haven't come back....I took her to the vet but she didn't make it. Thank you all for the advice (though unfortunately I wasn't able to use it).

:Love_IconRest in Peace little girl :Love_Icon. Cats take more wildlife; all the more reason they should be indoor only :shakehead. I'm sorry. She was so beautiful; those eyes are amazing....