PDA

View Full Version : CAPSTAR

SugarBugFerret
09-29-2013, 03:04 AM
Straighten me out all mighty squirrel gurus. I have read about using Capstar to treat internal parasites. I almost bought some, but I'm not sure I am looking for the right product. I was told by a store employee, after I saw Capstar for fleas on the shelf, that Capstar for WORMS is a different product, and that they do not carry it. Is that true? Or was the Capstar flea treatment actually what I wanted? :dono

island rehabber
09-29-2013, 06:54 AM
Far as I know, Capstar (nitenpyram) is Capstar and it kills fleas and external maggots as well as internal maggots. It is, however, a treatment and NOT a repellant....it must be used repeatedly if an animal is very infested.

SammysMom
09-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Capstar is not for worms. It is for fleas and maggots. What kind of worms are you trying to treat?

Charley Chuckles
09-29-2013, 08:16 AM
I use it on my cats, only a temporary fix for fleas and is safe natural (or so I have been told) but the pill would be huge to a squirrel, guess you would have to crush and syringe ...dosage?????

stepnstone
09-29-2013, 08:30 AM
I use it on my cats, only a temporary fix for fleas and is safe natural (or so I have been told) but the pill would be huge to a squirrel, guess you would have to crush and syringe ...dosage?????

I/4 tab, crush fine, add tad water,syringe feed. :thumbsup

Rhapsody
09-29-2013, 11:37 AM
As others have stated..... Capstar is a one time dose for fleas and does not treat them long term.
Most of use just use wash our squirrels in Dawn dish soap for fleas.

Squirrel Girls Mom
09-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Where did I read about mixing Capstar with water to flush wounds with maggots in them? :thinking

SugarBugFerret
09-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Originally i was looking for the Capstar because when I got Skiddil she was covered in fly eggs. I had thought we did a good job of getting them all off, but I was just concerned in case we had missed some that had maybe gotten in her mouth or rectum, etc. I have seen NO evidence of maggots, or even fleas. She seems very clean other than her continuously tinkling on herself, but that is another issue. I think i want to get some Capstar just so I will have it on hand. But I will definitely order it online because the store retail prices are outrageous! :eek