PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening To My Wild Squirrels?

AGS
09-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Hello, and thank you for providing a forum with so much information on one of my favorite animals. A backyard squirrel is one of my earliest childhood memories, and now many years later, squirrels remain an object of fascination and a source of real pleasure for me.

This past spring, a squirrel turned up at my bird feeder with a large lump on his side. It looked serious, but there was nothing I could do but wish him well and continue to fill my bird feeder. He either died, moved away or healed within a week or two, and it was at about this time that I started scattering roasted peanuts (unsalted in-shell) at the bases of some of my trees to help the squirrels and take some pressure off of my bird feeder. We had a miserably wet Spring and Summer in Western North Carolina.

On or about July 30th, I was washing my daughter's car when I heard the rustling of branches in the tree above me and the frantic cries of a mother squirrel. I found four baby squirrels, between one to three weeks old scattered under the tree but still alive and moving. I placed the babies together in a hay-lined box at the base of the tree and the mother and father came and carried the babies to a new nest within 15 minutes of the initial event. I have no idea how or why all four babies fell at once, I did not see a predator.

I continued to place peanuts around the trees, especially after this incident and I did not see any sign of the baby squirrels again until last week on September 18th. As my son and I sat in the yard after putting out peanuts, two juvenile squirrels cautiously climbed down the tree trunk. One was more brave than the other, and came all the way to the base and got a peanut. He ate with no problem. The other juvenile stayed higher up. We took photos and really enjoyed the beauty of the young squirrels.

The next day, I saw the brave juvenile foraging on the ground in the company of his mother. I noted that the mother appeared to have an injury on her right side that looked round and red with blood. I assumed all was well and did not look for the squirrels again until 6:30 that evening when I went to make the rounds and put out peanuts.

To my horror, the brave little juvenile was lying at the base of the tree, sprawled out on his stomach and cold to the touch. As I went to pick him up, he came around briefly, responding to my touch. I tried to warm him and check for an injury or obstruction but he soon died in our hands. I buried him at the base of the tree, the mother I believe, could be seen watching from above in the tree.

Naturally I was devastated and questioned whether I had caused the death of this squirrel by making in-shell peanuts available. I then began to worry the next day when I saw no sign of the other juvenile, dead or alive. The mother was spotted in the tree the morning after her baby's death but she seemed to abandon the tree entirely thereafter.

I now have started to wonder if the appearance of the juveniles was an indication of their desperation. Had the mother stopped feeding them due to illness? I also noted the injury to the mother squirrel ( I assume this is the mother) and at least one other squirrel I have spotted in my yard.

Is there any clue contained in the following pictures? The first photo is the squirrel I have called the "mother". The other pictures are of another squirrel I believe who also has an injury and or infection. The squirrel with the bad injury between the shoulders is eating peanuts but seems weakened in general and not as alert as it should be.

My apologies for the long first post. I really want to do what's best for these beautiful animals, or at the very least not contribute to their demise through any of my actions.

Tony

21514821514921515021515121515221515321515421515521 5156215157

lamb57
09-21-2013, 04:16 PM
The pics look like some of ours every year when the bot flies get on them. In specific ailments (or whatever it is labeled) threads on this site there are pics and details about them. They look horrible but fortunately they don't usually cause much issue with the squirrels. I am sorry to hear about the young one you found. If they are big enough to come forage for food then the mother isn't feeding them any longer anyway. Not sure how long they nurse in the wild exactly but the ones we rehab only take formula for a few weeks. The juvie may have fallen and got injured. We had one that we had raised & released that fell out of a tree here right in front of me and died within minutes. Normally they seem to just "bounce" and keep going but this little guy hit wrong somehow and that was it. I don't think you did anything to cause them any harm. It sounds like you are very caring to them. :grouphug

Sweet Simon's Mommy
09-21-2013, 04:34 PM
They look like Bot fly larva on a couple and an infection on the one with it all over its back ,but looks as tho it is healing, slowly.
here is a thread about them
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?2767-Bot-Fly-Facts&highlight=Bot+Flies

MyBushyTail
09-21-2013, 04:51 PM
Awe your poor squirrels. I am wondering if the injuries may be from a predator, possible talon wounds from a hawk attack? In my yard I have seen that when a Red Tailed Hawk attacks a nest the surviving juvies or adults will abandon that nest and move to another nest (unfortunately I also have seen when the nest is attacked with babies in it the babies are the ones most often killed). I have never had any injured squirrels from a hawk attack as here the Red Tailed Hawks are very effecient killers/predators. As for the little juvie that you found at the base of the tree, I think it most likely fell out of the tree (I saw one eight week old baby/juvie that fell out of its nest (to its death) as the mother was darting out of the nest to chase another squirrel away). You seem very caring and have done nothing at all to hurt them. I think you should continue to feed them daily (mine love black oiled sunflower seeds, pumkin seeds, sliced apples and a variety of un-salted mixed nuts) and provide fresh water daily, especially for the weakened one. Hopefully a rehabber or someone more experienced than I will chime in and offer you some advice as to what you can do for your weakened squirrel.

farrelli
09-22-2013, 01:48 AM
I wonder if it could be pox:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?165-Squirrel-Pox

AGS
09-22-2013, 08:50 AM
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies. I had never heard of Squirrel Pox until reading about it on this forum. It's what gave me the impulse to sign up and post the photos. As I mentioned, we've had a record amount of rainfall this year and with that has come a commensurate number of mosquitoes. As I read on the forum, Pox is carried by mosquitoes. I'm hoping for anything but that.

This was taken last night at dusk. I can't tell if it is a different squirrel or a change in the appearance of one of the above...

farrelli
09-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Well, if it is pox, and even if it's not, it seems that the best you could do is offer good nutrition and, if possible, the immune boosters you will read about in the pox forum.

SammysMom
09-22-2013, 02:45 PM
Is there an "opening" in that lump on her side? What is the tan stripe across her back?

Bronson
09-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Tan stripe looks like a stuck on leaf.

AGS
09-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Is there an "opening" in that lump on her side? What is the tan stripe across her back?

There is an opening, I think. The swelling appears to be bigger and more red in color today. The tan stripe might be due to the fur being wet from a brief rainshower that had just ended, and the leaf that Bronson noticed.

JLM27
09-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Can you trap them and take them in for a while? They look like they are really in bad shape. Skinny, covered in wounds. I might also move this to Emergency to get more rehabber attention. Those babies have serious problems.

AGS
09-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi JLM, I didn't know whether this qualified as life threatening or not, but if the admins are okay with moving it to Emergency I would appreciate the additional input. The number of sick and/or injured squirrels in my yard is indeed a worry. I am not able to take them in my home, unfortunately.