PDA

View Full Version : UV B Light

mdyoung216
09-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Not sure if this is a nutrition question, but wasn't sure where else to ask. I have a row home, so not able to get light to all rooms all day. I have the cage in my bedroom in the front of the house, and the sun doesn't sun brightly in the room until around 2:00 p.m. So I bought a UV B CFL bulb. One, was this even needed, and if yes, how many hours a day should I leave it on? How long do they last? Is it putting out UV B light as long as the bulb still lights?

Sweet Simon's Mommy
09-20-2013, 10:04 AM
what is in the cage??? a squirrel or two?:tilt
there is a thread about this very subject
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?17787-Do-Squirrels-Need-Daily-Sun-Exposure&highlight=sun+light

CrazySquirrelLady
09-20-2013, 10:06 AM
ye s it will put out rays till it dies. of course as the bulb ages, less and less rays are manufactured.

I think 30 minutes a day is plenty for sunlight requirements of your pet.

yes it is a good idea to expose him to get vit D in his system since he doesnt go outside.

is he snuggling with you yet? lol.

i don't think he will hibernate much inside. too warm. but he veel git sleeeeppppyyyy

TubeDriver
09-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I think it is important to get natural light or at least to attempt to simulate the standard day/night cycle. I believe we underestimate the importance of maintaining our circadian rhythms. These cycles are intimately linked to sleep, immune response, diet and eating, mood and overall health.

mdyoung216
09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
is he snuggling with you yet? lol.

Yeah, I carry it around the house in my pocket. LOL I think rubbing ears is about as much bonding as we are going to do or I want to risk.

farrelli
09-20-2013, 11:38 AM
If you're feeding a quality rodent block (which you absolutely need to do), they get their vitamin D from that, but it can't hurt!

CrazySquirrelLady
09-20-2013, 01:52 PM
If you're feeding a quality rodent block (which you absolutely need to do), they get their vitamin D from that, but it can't hurt!
it's a groundhog