PDA

View Full Version : Messy eaters, or am I feeding too fast?

StormyJei
09-12-2013, 11:05 PM
It takes me about 45 minutes to feed the two combined, he takes in 11 cc's and she takes in 10, but they manage to get it EVERYWHERE!!! Am I feeding them a bit too fast possibly? Should I slow it down?

They also get it all over their noses, but never aspirate or blow bubbles out their noses, and no strange clicking noises. Are they at risk for pneumonia?

Also, at what age do the chances of pneumonia lower? Ugh, I am sooooo paranoid! tinfoil

Rhapsody
09-13-2013, 12:56 AM
How old are your babies? --some squirrels just take longer than others to learn how to eat from a syringe.
Second question...... Are you using a Nipple? --if yes, what kind and how big is the hole?

StormyJei
09-13-2013, 02:36 AM
They are about 8 weeks. No nipple, neither much cared for the
nipple

Rhapsody
09-13-2013, 02:42 AM
They are about 8 weeks. No nipple, neither much cared for the
nippleThat is why it is taking so long to feed them, they suckle when they drink and with out a nipple, they CANNOT do this.
I have two 6 week old squirrels with me atm the moment and I can feed both of them in ten minutes, no mess.

StormyJei
09-13-2013, 03:19 AM
Ooooo! Well, then looks like we are gonna try the nipples again. I will order some tomorrow :P Thank you again!!! (gosh you are so helpful!!)

island rehabber
09-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Definitely use a nipple attachment, and give them time to get used to it. The method I was taught when syringe-feeding squirrels is "Push-Wait". Give a VERY gentle push on the syringe, then wait for the baby to swallow. If you are holding the baby from the back in your left hand and feeding with your right, you can actually feel the baby swallow with your left hand. (ALWAYS hold the baby gently but firmly while feeding. Why people allow babies to run around between gulps is beyond my understanding :shakehead) You will learn the particular rhythm of each baby's eating style and eventually won't even have to think about it. There will always be drops and spatters that get on the baby's chin or chest but it doesn't have to be a total formula bath. :grin