PDA

View Full Version : New to the Board

coco
09-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Hello,

I am the proud caretaker of Coconut AKA Coco Roca. The nest was in a bus battery box on reserve and when my grandpa pulled out the box to see what the dogs were sniffing, the dogs immediately attacked the nest. 3 2 week squirrels were brought home. One unfortunately crossed the squirrel rainbow due to internal injuries. Local fish and wildlife said they could not care for them. We did a lot of research and hydrated them immediately. They still looked ok since they had just been with mom.

Unfortunately, where we live is very remote and we took a special 3 hour trip into town to get kitten formula (very aware this is not good but just found out... wish they had fox valley). We took turns with the feeding schedule setting our nightly alarms (and it was so worth it).

So 2 lived, home range unknown due to bus having been all over the province for the past week. We realized how much work they were going to be so I took one (I live 8 hours from my mom) and my mom took the male. I guess I will be posting on behalf of my coco and my moms Tay-o,

Each week their homes got bigger and bigger and the greatest moment was when their eyes opened 3 weeks later. Unfortunately, Coco is somewhat of a pig and was extremely hard to feed, at 4 weeks she aspirated milk. I knew right away something was wrong and within 2 hours (had to find a vet that could take her) we were at the vet and she was given fluids under the skin and antibiotics.

I was devastated, I did all the right things and she still aspirated. 2 days it was a rough go she had labored breathing. I was back to feeding every 2 hours switching between pedialyte and formula. I slept by her bed and set up a humidifier and within 3 days she was happy and healthy again.

My boyfriend and I just love her, she loves to play and climb us and our curtains and well anything she can get her paws on. She does have an unfortunate affiliation for the following:
1) biting ears
2) deciding to burrow in my hair right after I finished it and
3) pooping in my hair... I must have nest like hair.

Oh and pilling my clothes but she will do what she does, she is kind of a princess but really likes her kisses from me.

Coco is a picky eater and fools me by only eating the nuts from her henry blocks and stashing the rest of it in her secret spots. I know now and she is not fooling me anymore..

Anyhow I am glad I have found the magical Squirrel Board. You all are so helpful and caring, thank you!!

Below I have posted a couple of a pictures, Coco at 4 weeks and about 6-7 weeks and this one was a week and a half ago of her ruining my hair as usual... I usually laugh cry when this happens

kastillo
09-11-2013, 03:47 PM
:Welcome
She is adorable! Is she a red squirrel?

coco
09-11-2013, 03:59 PM
She is a Chickaree :)
She is pretty vocal... and cute... she knows how to manipulate me pretty good..
I am fixing her diet asap though because I give her lots of treats, not nuts but like avocado and grapes etc... silly thing... LOVES her pinecones

astra
09-11-2013, 05:07 PM
what a cute little red! :crazy:)

CrazySquirrelLady
09-11-2013, 06:24 PM
:Welcome

stepnstone
09-11-2013, 07:00 PM
:Welcome to TSB!
Such a pretty baby! :grin2
The Chickaree (Tamiasciurus douglasii) is a collective name for Pine Squirrel, Douglas Squirrel and American Red Squirrel :thumbsup