PDA

View Full Version : Lost on the release situation...

StormyJei
09-05-2013, 08:53 PM
I know I have quite a few weeks before release but...I was curious, will it be too cold? I live in New Hampshire, and it's already started to get cold...is releasing them in mid-late October even an option?

farrelli
09-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Generally people in even cool climates overwinter. I think yours wouldn't be ready to go until around November, right? (14 weeks is about as early as a release should happen.) Releasing them then would probably be a bad idea given that they'd have no home or food stores. In the wild, they'd spend the winter with mom.

SammysMom
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I think Farrelli is correct on this one...Prepare to spend the winter with a lot of company!:grin

StormyJei
09-05-2013, 10:46 PM
Generally people in even cool climates overwinter. I think yours wouldn't be ready to go until around November, right? (14 weeks is about as early as a release should happen.) Releasing them then would probably be a bad idea given that they'd have no home or food stores. In the wild, they'd spend the winter with mom.

Makes sense! And I believe so. I have read so many different release times....I just knew I didn't feel comfortable about leaving them out there this winter. Thank you for the help! They will be safe and warm and fat here!

StormyJei
09-05-2013, 10:47 PM
I think Farrelli is correct on this one...Prepare to spend the winter with a lot of company!:grin

I am soooo okay with this. (I actually wanted an excuse to keep them through the winter anyway!)

Do you think it will be humane to release them next year? After spending all winter in my care? Would they be "too domestic" at that point? Not that I mind of course. Just curious with how things should go.

farrelli
09-05-2013, 11:44 PM
It's totally fine to release them next year. Almost everyone here who has late season babies in a cold climate overwinters and they all turn out fine. Maybe you'll get lucky and one or both will decide that they prefer a home life when it comes release time. It happens.

StormyJei
09-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Haha I would love that! I love the idea of keeping them through the winter. Sooo attached! And if they like it here, I don't mind that either. My situation is bittersweet really. I have been on disability for so long (bad back) and I used to get incredibly bored. But these babies, not only keep me busy all the time, but I can be with them 24-7. If they turn out to love home more than outside, the only issue I have is the vet issue. How would I go about asking a vet if they work on squirrels, without having them take them away from me? And if they say they would, how can I trust that they won't be lying to me? Those are my only two real concerns.

farrelli
09-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I think you were the one who started a thread about a vet in NH the other day? Did it get any replies? If not, bump it. Bump it every couple days and see if anyone ever replies.

You just have to call around to different vets and ask if they would see a squirrel. Don't tell them who you are and maybe block your outgoing number. Also, you might contact rehabers in the area (there's almost certainly a list somewhere) and see if they know of a vet you could see. If you find one who says that they'd see it, the best bet is just to never let it out of your site during the visit and be ready to grab and run.

StormyJei
09-06-2013, 12:10 AM
It wasn't me who posted that, but I just barely saw that post.

I will try that then. Haha I can imagine me grabbing the baby and just taking off real quick haha! I will look around. I know that a lot of New England is understanding of wildlife, (at least from my knowledge of it). My grandmother used to have us raise all sorts of orphaned animals. And vets would come to the house in the event something was wrong. Of course that was a different time.

I will search around tomorrow for a "just in case" incident and see if there is anyone around who will be on call if need be. I did have one vet who did surgery on my Chinchilla for a hernia years ago, (although legal to have unlike my new babies) I am sure he might be at least qualified to care for squirrels, it's just a matter of getting him to help if I need it. But I will most definitely search around! :thankyou

Sydneysmom
09-07-2013, 07:33 AM
where in NH are you? I am located in northern NH :grin nice to see someone else close :grin2

StormyJei
09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
I live about 45 minutes away from Keene, actually. North of Keene. :D And it is nice!!!

Aubedete
09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
I live about 45 minutes away from Keene, actually. North of Keene. :D And it is nice!!!

Thanks StormyJei for posting about northern weather/release situation. As the nights get colder, I was having the same concern. I'm in Quebec, 30 min. North of the US border and I too was thinking of overwinter Skip :Squirrel, who'd be 4months in November. CM923

So this thread kind of settles it.

After I'll keep on playing it by ear. Not sure I'm able or want to keep my little fellow for good (work, children) but he'll have his words to say and I realized lately that life was good on deciding stuff for me. We'll see. A part of me is getting squirrelly dependant....:o

Good luck with finding a trustworthy vet. There are some, out there ;)

StormyJei
09-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks StormyJei for posting about northern weather/release situation. As the nights get colder, I was having the same concern. I'm in Quebec, 30 min. North of the US border and I too was thinking of overwinter Skip :Squirrel, who'd be 4months in November. CM923

So this thread kind of settles it.

After I'll keep on playing it by ear. Not sure I'm able or want to keep my little fellow for good (work, children) but he'll have his words to say and I realized lately that life was good on deciding stuff for me. We'll see. A part of me is getting squirrelly dependant....:o

Good luck with finding a trustworthy vet. There are some, out there ;)

NP!
I was unsure about the release too, because I wasn't sure if they would take to it or not if I had them so long. However, I should at least give them a chance to want to explore and be where they deserve to be. I have all the time in the world, so keeping them wouldn't be an issue, however I think that any wildlife who has the chance to live, should also be given the chance to live in their natural habitat. If either decide to stay, awesome! I think you should give Skip a chance when the time is right, to explore the outside. I think then, life will make the decision for you. :)

And thank you! I hope to find a good one. Hahaha!

LilLulu
09-13-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm in NH and he is my local vet he works with exotics, not sure of Squirrels, but he is worth a shot, Dr. Mike Dutton 603-529-4999 Just make sure you ask to see him, he is a pretty understanding guy, do not trust anyone else in there as I do not know any of them personally like Dutton, I have used him for over 10 years on my dogs. Hope this helps, I think they have a website also, Weare animal hospital.

StormyJei
09-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm in NH and he is my local vet he works with exotics, not sure of Squirrels, but he is worth a shot, Dr. Mike Dutton 603-529-4999 Just make sure you ask to see him, he is a pretty understanding guy, do not trust anyone else in there as I do not know any of them personally like Dutton, I have used him for over 10 years on my dogs. Hope this helps, I think they have a website also, Weare animal hospital.

Thank you! Will give a call. Though I have called a few places much closer to me, and I think I am coming close. Weare is an hour and a half away :( But if all else fails, I will definitely call! Thank you so much!!

LilLulu
09-14-2013, 10:15 AM
:Welcome StormyJei

redcedar
10-05-2013, 01:39 PM

I was going to overwinter my squirrels farther north, but may have the option now of doing it in NJ. NJ is a lot warmer than the OP's New Hampshire, and I'm wondering if they could be let out this year. I understand there are plenty of bird feeders as backup food in the neighborhood in case they run short late winter/early spring (the neighborhood is generally squirrel-friendly -- there are lots of fat squirrels around.) They are about 10 weeks now, so it would be mid November when we let them free. The person who would handle this could leave open a squirrel sized entrance in the cage, with food and water in it, all winter, in case it got too rough and they wanted to come back, though I guess it's a personality thing whether they'd be willing to, even under difficult situations.

Any advice on whether this is a safe thing to do? Besides home and food, are there other concerns? Without Mom, would they be pushed around or out by older bigger squirrels?

Charley Chuckles
10-06-2013, 12:53 PM
If this is any consolation, I live in Florida and overwinter my summer/fall kids, B/C even though we still have leaves year round they the tress are not as full so predators have a better chance at them and the food supply just is not as good, and in your case they didn't get a chance to store for the winter...so I am in favor of overwintering them,,,maybe find some good movies they like :poke:grin3

farrelli
10-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Definitely overwinter. They have no food or territory and no knowledge of predators. It's a bad combination, and this added to the cold temps makes a bad recipe.

kastillo
10-06-2013, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about "domesticating" them either.
Squirrels are squirrels, like 99% eventually wild up and want to be free, so snuggle them while you can. You rehab long enough, eventually you will get an NR, and sometimes maybe more than you can home. There is always people on here looking for forever homes for NR's they cannot keep,
then there's that special 1% like Peaches, perfectly healthy squirrel that just prefers the company of people :grin2

You're giving these babies their best chance at a normal squirrel life. All you can do is overwinter, then try soft release in the spring, then it's up to THEM what they want to do.

I think it is awesome that you get to spend all your time with them though. You should think about getting your license and getting donations if you can't work and this is what you love. This world needs all the good squirrel people it can get.

redcedar
10-07-2013, 01:07 PM
I will overwinter. I think food wouldn't be an issue in my circumstances, but hadn't thought about the leaf cover issue with the predators. It's good to have the territory thing confirmed, too. I was hoping they could have a more fun time running free next few months, but better to be alive, healthy and free in the spring! Thanks!

Just for my knowledge on another issue that might be another argument in favor of overwintering: is putting together a drey from scratch a hard thing to do in winter? Twigs should be available, but they also need stuff for insulation and for something soft to rest on; are these generally available? -- moss, leaves, grasses and stuff? (Even inside the dreys or a tree hole wouldn't these things get dried out and crumble over the winter? How do they resupply themselves? animal hair? feathers? raiding car seats for fiber fill? :grin2 It doesn't seem there'd be enough of these things.)