PDA

View Full Version : Ivermectin for bots?

kastillo
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
So i just picked up some ivermectin to have on hand. The package says "removes worms and bots in a single dose". Of course its talking abour horses, but has anyone ever tried this for squirrels as my releases are ate up with larvae right now.

Rhapsody
09-04-2013, 01:39 PM
If you give the medicine to your squirrels it will kill the larva and they will die inside the squirrel, causing an infection and then
probably death for the squirrel... thats why its best to let the warble run its course and come out on their own or capture the
animal in question if it is having life or death complications and remove the larva's your self or by a vet.

CritterMom
09-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Yes, squirrels are so small...if a dozen bots die in a 1200 pound horse, the poison is so diluted due to their size that it isn't even a blip on their radar screen...

kastillo
09-04-2013, 04:43 PM
Got it! Just curious. I only wanted the ivermectin if I ever have to combat mange.... then I saw on the tube for bots, and got excited! So, the bots will run there course. Ugh, I hope it's quick, my poor babies look all lumpy messes.