PDA

View Full Version : Weird (normal?) baby squirrel behavior...?

hashbr0wn
09-03-2013, 07:59 PM
So, baby squirrel is doing quite well. I am waiting for my scale to get here (is supposed to be delivered tomorrow) but the FV and blocks and syringes and nipples all came today, so he will be switched to FV for his next meal (should I switch him slowly, like you would a dog on dog food, or is switch from Esbilac to FV okay?).

However, I am beginning to think maybe he is a little older now than originally thought (I wish I could go back in time and weigh him, I swear he has doubled in size) and he is exhibiting some peculiar behaviors that may or may not be normal, and I would LOVE some advice/opinions, please:

1) He never wants to be without me. He wants me to feed him (24/7, but I am following the 4-5 time daily feeding advice on this board, around 10-12 CC's each time). He seems to HATE being in his cage, just scales the bars grunting and wanting out. We have purchased him a relatively good-sized flight cage, and he is up and down the bars, 24/7 when not sleeping.

2) If he is left alone in the room (like, completely alone, we are out of sight) while he is awake he makes the most horrific sound like a tiny, tiny car alarm. I cannot explain it, not like a scream or being in pain, but precisely like a car alarm. He did it yesterday morning for thee first time ever and we all lost our mind thinking perhaps his leg was caught in the cage (I read a horror story yesterday about this scenario), but when he saw us come round the corner he stopped. He continued to do it a few times through out the day, once when everyone was in the kitchen and once when we were getting ready for bed. He hasn't done it today, and we have yet to physically see him do it, but the sound FILLS the house.

3) He is nipping. It begins as him pushing his nose against your finger. Then he opened his mouth onto my hand. Then he applied a little pressure, then a little more... like testing me. Now when he gets out of his cage (which is less and less often today and yesterday, because of the nipping), it's what he wants to do. Go in my clothes or nip my fingers. It's not really so aggressive, and not at all out of fear, it's like he is testing to see, well, I don't know what. He hasn't caused any real pain or drawn blood, but I am wondering if that is next.

Anyhow, I've never had a squirrel in my house, so you can imagine I do not know if this is typical behavior or not. I've read and read through the forums, and it seems like the biting IS pretty typical, which is a bummer, but getting the crap nibbled out of me constantly will definitely make the transition to his life outside easier for us.

Anyhow, thank you in advance. And and all advice is very much appreciated.

Here are some pictures (earlier pictures can be seen here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?42194-Accidental-squirrel-rescuer). Is he older than 7-8 weeks? Or just growing quickly? I don't know.

ALittleNutty
09-03-2013, 08:10 PM
It all sounds pretty normal to me. He should settle down a bit about being left alone. As for the biting or nipping I recall being told to make loud "MEEP" sound. Schitzo was doing this when I first got him but after a few times of this he's finally quit about 90% of the nipping.

I would transition to the FV by diluting it 3 parts water to one part FV for the next couple of feedings and then go to the 2 to 1 ratio. Others may advise to go with a mixture of FV and what you are feeding him and gradually working up to full strength FV. The ones I just got I flushed them with sugar water for a couple of feedings and then worked up to full strength FV over the next 3 feedings with no trouble at all.

SammysMom
09-03-2013, 08:48 PM
My suggestion on the transition is that for the first 2 feedings go with 25% FV and 75% Esbilac, next 2 feedings 50/50 then 2 feedings 75% FV and 25% Esbilac. Be sure to weigh him and use the 5% - 7% of his body weight for a feeding amount. For instance if he weighs 100 grams you would feed him between 5cc and 7cc formula (100 x .05 - 100 x .07) at each feeding.

SammysMom
09-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Good grief I forgot the most important thing...he is ADORABLE!!! "Nibbling" is very normal too by the way. :grin3

farrelli
09-03-2013, 08:55 PM
The alarm call sounds like he's calling for mom. Is this basically it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHGwgONYkHk

I'm sure that he doesn't want to be alone. He's got no siblings and he wants mommy too. He's lonely.

I wonder if his nibbling is the beginning of grooming you. Squirrels famously give manicures to their loved ones (and other nibbling, especially of ears). It's their way of saying, "I love you!"

I think that most people roll in the FV. 25% for a couple or so feedings, then 50%, then 75%, then full FV. Just watch for tummy upset.

hashbr0wn
09-03-2013, 09:22 PM
The alarm call sounds like he's calling for mom. Is this basically it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHGwgONYkHk

I'm sure that he doesn't want to be alone. He's got no siblings and he wants mommy too. He's lonely.

I wonder if his nibbling is the beginning of grooming you. Squirrels famously give manicures to their loved ones (and other nibbling, especially of ears). It's their way of saying, "I love you!"

I think that most people roll in the FV. 25% for a couple or so feedings, then 50%, then 75%, then full FV. Just watch for tummy upset.

Dear lord, that is the exact sound, and it's magnified because he is on a granite fireplace mantle (which is not in use, of course).

I would take him out more, but yesterday and today it has been the biting that has prevented me. As for as the possibility of it being "grooming", I am not sure.

I just had him out, and we went from rubbing his face/mouth all over me (like a cat does when it is scenting you), to lightly opening his mouth on one of my fingers (to which I MEEPED, which worked), to him starting to nibbled hard. For the most part I don't get bit too hard because he applies the pressure gradually and I can see it coming so I MEEP and yank my hand away, and if he does it again, he goes back in the cage for a while.

Just now when I ad him out I pulled both of my hands away and MEEPED, and he scurried up me and then went to nibble on my chest through my shirt, at which he was DEFINITELY put back in the cage.

He does groom my husband's beard, though, which is adorable.

My next question is, would a squirrel his age be leaving the nest to play? What kind of activities should I be doing with him? I usually put a blanket on the floor and let him run around (so his nails don't snag in the carpet), but I feel like maybe we should make a little jungle gym out of branches or something?

Anyway, glad to have solved the mystery of the baby squirrel car alarm, haha. :grin2

And thank you, he is a cutie. When he isn't acting like a teenager. But, I guess that's why he is a WILD animal.

farrelli
09-03-2013, 11:40 PM
At this age they would not be leaving to play. At best, they would be peeping out of the nest and maybe venturing out very briefly, which their mom would not appreciate if she caught them.

Feel free to hand wrestle with him, he'll love it. Also put in plush toys (no beans inside or hard eyes that he could bite off and choke on) with him that he can wrestle with on his own, or with you (which is great if he gets bitey). You could put some branches in for him to run around on and chew on, but noting too high. He should be fine, but he's still pretty young for any high wire stuff.

Btw, I'm glad that you came running like a good mommy when he was calling for you!

Lastly, I don't know if you've gotten him any furnishings, but here's a site that makes them and is run by a member here:

http://www.auntiemmscustomboutique.com/

hashbr0wn
09-03-2013, 11:52 PM
At this age they would not be leaving to play. At best, they would be peeping out of the nest and maybe venturing out very briefly, which their mom would not appreciate if she caught them.

Feel free to hand wrestle with him, he'll love it. Also put in plush toys (no beans inside or hard eyes that he could bite off and choke on) with him that he can wrestle with on his own, or with you (which is great if he gets bitey). You could put some branches in for him to run around on and chew on, but noting too high. He should be fine, but he's still pretty young for any high wire stuff.

Btw, I'm glad that you came running like a good mommy when he was calling for you!

Lastly, I don't know if you've gotten him any furnishings, but here's a site that makes them and is run by a member here:

http://www.auntiemmscustomboutique.com/

As far as "high wire", we is currently climbing the bars of his cage, even upside down. He leaps from one side to the other. He went from not knowing how to climb them at all, to circus-worthy acrobatics. It's been amazing, which is one reason why I was wondering if he wasn't older than my guess of 7-8 weeks.

Good tips on the toys and playtime, and I will definitely shop the boutique. I think the only thing more fun that rescuing a squirrel is shopping for one, hahaha, no wonder people keep clucking at me and telling me "With the way you're treating this squirrel, I think it's time you had another baby." Uhm, NO. This baby squirrel has reminded me what it is like to be on mama duty 24/7. :grin2

farrelli
09-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Oh, don;t get me wrong, they will definitely engage in acrobatics, but they may not be super skilled and end up falling. That's why a momma squirrel will severely reprimand a baby of this age if she catches them out of the nest.

hashbr0wn
09-04-2013, 12:28 AM
Oh, don;t get me wrong, they will definitely engage in acrobatics, but they may not be super skilled and end up falling. That's why a momma squirrel will severely reprimand a baby of this age if she catches them out of the nest.

Ooooh, okay. No wonder he hates being away from us so much.

Has anyone ever used Bitter Apple Spray to deter biting? When we had a puppy many years ago, he would "mouth" our hands all of the time. Our vet recommended we spray our hands lightly with the stuff (it tastes bitter, but is nontoxic) and he never "mouthed" us again.

farrelli
09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I think that most people advise against that. I would think this especially true when it comes to making his humans unappealing. He just wants to play, groom, and test his limits. He'll learn eventually how far is too far. Maybe when he starts biting, substitute the stuffie. He'll learn that he can attack that but not you.

pappy1264
09-04-2013, 05:45 AM
Get him a stuffed animal to cuddle and wrestle with. Singles are harder, they normally would have sibling to keep them company at this age, while still in nest, as mom would be staying away longer periods of time now. He does not have that, so he calls out, he is just scared. Maybe keep a radio playing some soft music (make sure he cannot access cord!) Make sure stuffie does not have 'beads' inside in case he can get it open. But they love to play with them and sleep with them! I have found if I sew a piece of fleece on them that I have 'worn' in my clothes for a few hours to get my scent on it, it helps them to settle, since they see you as 'mom'. Just an idea.

hashbr0wn
09-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Get him a stuffed animal to cuddle and wrestle with. Singles are harder, they normally would have sibling to keep them company at this age, while still in nest, as mom would be staying away longer periods of time now. He does not have that, so he calls out, he is just scared. Maybe keep a radio playing some soft music (make sure he cannot access cord!) Make sure stuffie does not have 'beads' inside in case he can get it open. But they love to play with them and sleep with them! I have found if I sew a piece of fleece on them that I have 'worn' in my clothes for a few hours to get my scent on it, it helps them to settle, since they see you as 'mom'. Just an idea.

Okay, so it looks like the Henry's blocks and the stuffed animal have helped SOOOO much. Today we went to the pet store and got him a dog toy of a squirrel (the ones that they make look as real as possible for some reason). No eyes, no beads. He loves it. He also loves the blocks, whether to eat or just gnaw them into tiny chunks.

He has started a very weird habit of running the sides of his face all over us (like a cat when it is being affectionate). If you try to pull your hand away he thinks it's a game and he'll go after you and grasp you and do it, it's hilarious, and a lot better than nibbling.

And today he earned a name, which is "Biscuit", which is my husband's go-to "curse word", it is kind of the word we use for accidents in our house, like if you drop something on your toe you say "biscuits!". It's perfect for our accidental squirrel.21397721397821397921398021398121398221398 3213984

Here are today's pictures, how he likes to sleep (curled up in a ball, in my hand), how he runs his face on your hand, how he grasps you, etc.

MollyBear361
09-04-2013, 10:27 PM
cute!!!!! I cant remember if squirrels mark their scent like cats do when they rub their cheeks on you....but all squirrels do it. My guys also rub their face on the tree (they are released) right after they eat.

farrelli
09-04-2013, 11:52 PM
What an awesome little guy! So cute! I'm so glad that things are working out better. Just keep coming here and we'll help all we can.

hashbr0wn
09-05-2013, 01:05 PM
What an awesome little guy! So cute! I'm so glad that things are working out better. Just keep coming here and we'll help all we can.

Oh, I will, I'm here in almost all of my "free time" during the day, mostly with a squirrel sleeping in my lap. He just sleeps better when he has a warm body to curl up with.

My husband tried to hold him last night while he was sleeping and Biscuit would just wake up and crawl back to me to sleep. My husband says "You just can't come between a girl and her squirrel", LOL.

I will definitely be here every step of the way, especially after his release, when I'm crying my eyes out. :Love_Icon