PDA

View Full Version : Diatomaceous earth: A safe alternative!!

StormyJei
08-31-2013, 10:08 PM
I will be the first to admit, when it comes to squirrels, I know very little in comparison to most everyone here, but I figured I would post this little alternative that works beautifully. I have used it on many small mammals I have had, and even my bigger mammals. In fact, I use it everywhere.

Diatomaceous earth is an amazing product. It basically acts as little shards of glass, so when bugs (pretty much everything except for earth worms) crawl through it, they die. There is no harm at all to any of the animals I have used it on. In fact, I have mixed it in my own healthy green smoothies and have consumed it, to rid of bacteria and whatnot.

There are several different types on the market, all of which pretty much differ from each other. There are ones for swimming pools, and then there are food grade. There are also ones specifically for treating bed bugs or fleas. However, I ONLY use the food grade, due to all the extra chemicals in the other types.

I bought a 24 lb bag of Red Lake Food Grade DE (it has extra calcium in it) for 12 dollars at my local Tractor Supply Co.

Basically what you want to do is you want to very lightly dust just a little bit on your squirrels (or any animal who has fleas on them). You want to make sure you keep it away from their faces, but dust them lightly with it. You may have to do this a couple of times before they are all gone depending on the severity. It's also a good idea to dust it around your house and on other animals you have.

I have also used this to get rid of bacteria and parasites from within, by mixing just a tiny tiny bit into the formula and then feeding the baby mammals. I have used this on mice, rats, rabbits, my dogs, cats, chinchilla and myself. It's a wonderful all natural way to rid of icky things you don't want inside or outside your critter!

I haven't had any issues with using this. Aside from dry hands after, this product, I swear by it. I even used it in my garden this year, and had very very little issues with bugs. For someone who is terrified of using chemicals on such sensitive animal skin...this is a godsend.

Just thought I would share! :Love_Icon

Rhapsody
08-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Diatomaceous earth is an amazing product.YES I AGREE!! --Many of use here are aware of DE and use it on our wild life and with our household pets.
I have even used the human grade myself..... :)

DE Link:
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

jbillings
08-31-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree as well! It is amazing stuff! When I first moved into my house we had a big problem with roaches. We bought a huge bag of DE and put it all around the outside of the house and in nooks and crannys inside the house! Those suckers were gone in a matter of days and haven't seen them since! We also use them on our squirrels when they get mites! I even dust my mattress with it just in case of bed bugs or any mites get on there from our little guys! :thumbsup

sqrl luv
08-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Great suggestion! Thanks!

StormyJei
09-08-2013, 04:44 AM
YES I AGREE!! --Many of use here are aware of DE and use it on our wild life and with our household pets.
I have even used the human grade myself..... :)

DE Link:
http://www.earthworkshealth.com/pets-animals.php

I am soooo glad that people look for this alternative rather than to harsh chemicals. I had a bad reaction a few years ago with a cat (rest her soul) who I had put flea medication on. Since then I just always had a bad feeling about anything. This year when I discovered DE, lets just say, I will never go back! Haha!

StormyJei
09-08-2013, 04:45 AM
I agree as well! It is amazing stuff! When I first moved into my house we had a big problem with roaches. We bought a huge bag of DE and put it all around the outside of the house and in nooks and crannys inside the house! Those suckers were gone in a matter of days and haven't seen them since! We also use them on our squirrels when they get mites! I even dust my mattress with it just in case of bed bugs or any mites get on there from our little guys! :thumbsup

It really is a miracle product! Haha and they say roaches can live through everything :P :crazy

StormyJei
09-08-2013, 04:46 AM
Great suggestion! Thanks!

NP! I am such a huge supporter of using this stuff. I will never use anything else to rid of bugs. For sure!

island rehabber
09-08-2013, 06:33 AM
StormyJei, I am definitely going to get some DE. Here in the city I guess I have to go to a garden supply store....we don't have Tractor Supply :grin. Every fall I have issues with ants and they get in my squirrel cages and make me crazy. Hoping DE will help!

Garden71
09-08-2013, 11:13 AM
IR you can probably get it in a garden store that's where I got it. IT WORKS:thumbsup

StormyJei
09-08-2013, 04:55 PM
StormyJei, I am definitely going to get some DE. Here in the city I guess I have to go to a garden supply store....we don't have Tractor Supply :grin. Every fall I have issues with ants and they get in my squirrel cages and make me crazy. Hoping DE will help!

There is the option of ordering online also, but the shipping is usually outrageous (42 bucks last time I checked :eek) But definitely check your garden store! Just make sure to get food grade if you plan on having it around your babies, or any food! <3

StormyJei
09-08-2013, 05:00 PM

Also, if you can't seem to find any, I may be able to figure out a way to send you some of what I have! It would take me a whole year to go through one bag of it, so if I am able to, and you still can't find any, let me know!

Garden71
09-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Home Depot has it.
http://m.homedepot.com/s/Diatomaceous/?searchtype=text&browsestoreoption=1

virginia_arce2280
09-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Food Grade DE is definitely a Godsend!
I got my DE on ebay. 50 lbs for around 50 dollars with shipping included. I thought it was a pretty good deal and I use it for so many things!
1. Base for my homemade toothpaste
2. cream (mixed with water) for rashes -dries them out wonderfully
3. dusting for fleas/mites, etc
4. spot treatment for pimples
5. mix with juice/water for internal parasites
etc, etc,

Any other uses that people have, please share. I enjoy using the natural products!!

virginia_arce2280
09-08-2013, 07:03 PM
I got my DE on ebay. 50 lbs for around 50 dollars with shipping included. I thought it was a pretty good deal and I use it for so many things!
etc, etc,

Any other uses that people have, please share. I enjoy using the natural products!!

And make sure when you get it, it's FOOD GRADE! The other stuff for pools is toxic!!

StormyJei
09-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Home Depot has it.
http://m.homedepot.com/s/Diatomaceous/?searchtype=text&browsestoreoption=1

Both of those from Home Depot are poisons. Anything that says "Insect killer" or "pool filter" or anything specific to bugs and pools altogether, is poison. You want the food grade. Like what Virginia Acre said. If it does not say food grade, stay away from it. It will be hella toxic, and I can imagine, may harm your babies.

StormyJei
09-09-2013, 12:14 AM
etc, etc,

Those are awesome! I haven't thought to use it for my homemade toothpaste!

I sometimes use it in baked goods, when I have friends around. They never know they are getting something healthy when I make brownies :grin3

StormyJei
09-09-2013, 12:15 AM
And make sure when you get it, it's FOOD GRADE! The other stuff for pools is toxic!!

Incredibly! I would never buy the pool stuff or anything specific to bugs. I mean, the food grade is so much cheaper, and already kills bugs. Haha! :thankyou

Charley Chuckles
09-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Sorry to say I got it and have been using it on my cats and flea combing them daily, it didn't work at all :sanp3 Now trying Avantage II put it on them last night, hope it works, they were a mess :shakehead

Garden71
09-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Sorry wouldn't happen again.

StormyJei
09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Sorry to say I got it and have been using it on my cats and flea combing them daily, it didn't work at all :sanp3 Now trying Avantage II put it on them last night, hope it works, they were a mess :shakehead

Aww I am so sorry it didn't work!! What brand did you end up using?

VTech1
09-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Aww I am so sorry it didn't work!! What brand did you end up using?

I use it around the base of our home as well. We have terrible ant problems, and the food grade DE definitely works! I did not know about using it in and on animals! Thanks and I will look into that further.

StormyJei
09-09-2013, 11:44 PM
I use it around the base of our home as well. We have terrible ant problems, and the food grade DE definitely works! I did not know about using it in and on animals! Thanks and I will look into that further.

Most definitely! My babies actually love it. So far I just powder a little bit into their food once a week and stir it real nice! And np! Glad to see so many people who already use it!!! :Love_Icon

mommasbaby
03-08-2014, 11:39 AM
Glad to know it is safe one of the clerks at our tractor supply told me to buy some and I didn't because I was afraid it would hurt mommas baby!!Guess I will have to give it a try.

Squirrelyogi
03-28-2015, 07:38 PM
How much would you recommend dusting each squirrel? Half a teaspoon? Full teaspoon? I'm new to squirrels lol. Seriously. For like the last six months!

The problem I have is only one of our backyard squirrels east from my hand, so I won't be able to get close enough to dust the rest for fleas. I can see them scratching and itching them. I know one of them has mange for sure which I'm looking into now on this forum. It happens to be the guy who is eating from my hand.

Annabelle's papa
03-29-2015, 06:07 AM
How much would you recommend dusting each squirrel? Half a teaspoon? Full teaspoon? I'm new to squirrels lol. Seriously. For like the last six months!

The problem I have is only one of our backyard squirrels east from my hand, so I won't be able to get close enough to dust the rest for fleas. I can see them scratching and itching them. I know one of them has mange for sure which I'm looking into now on this forum. It happens to be the guy who is eating from my hand.

:) Hi Sqirrelyogi, the food grade DE can be applied liberally although with care to not aggravate the Squirrel's respiratory systems, they are very sensitive in that area. As mentioned this product can also be used on your domestics as needed, and around your Home and Garden to control everything from fleas to ants.:great

:) Walmart and Tractor Supply Company both carry this product, however make sure what you purchase is labeled Food Grade.:tilt

island rehabber
03-29-2015, 06:12 AM
FYI: I edited the title of this very helpful thread so that "Diatomaceous earth" appears in it. This way it will come up more readily when someone searches for more info on DE. :thumbsup

Annabelle's papa
03-29-2015, 06:51 AM
:) Amen Great IR, I've used 5% Sevin dust (Sparingly) my entire life, and considering it's made with Carbaryl it can be more dangerous to some People and Animals than others. Meaning the same sprinkle you use on your 15 lb Terrier could very well send your 60 lb German Shepard into convulsions and death. The (Inert) compound in Sevin, or the other 95% is DE and I never knew it was available separately until reading that info here, nor did I know there was a food and industrial grade.:tilt

:) You can teach an Old Dog new tricks, however the Dog has to "Want" to learn.:grin3:serene

Delo729
03-29-2015, 07:22 AM
DE should be a common household product like baking soda. We love that stuff. we get ours from our local organic store. Food grade only and luckily they will let us buy it by the weight. So if we only want an ounce or a pound we can get it.

Annabelle's papa
03-29-2015, 07:39 AM
DE should be a common household product like baking soda. We love that stuff. we get ours from our local organic store. Food grade only and luckily they will let us buy it by the weight. So if we only want an ounce or a pound we can get it.

:) Amen Delo729, I got some From Walmart at around 8.00 for a pound, and I feel safer using it, on everyone, :tilt and I've already used a lot of it around the house and porches to get ahead of the pest season.:great

Three other good household products are Borax, Alcohol, and Diluted Bleach 1:10. These compounds are a lot safer than most commercial chemical formulas.:great

Squirrelyogi
03-29-2015, 07:52 AM
Is it ok if the squirrel licks the DE off it's rump after it's applied, for example?

Annabelle's papa
03-29-2015, 07:56 AM
Is it ok if the squirrel licks the DE off it's rump after it's applied, for example?

:) For the most part,:tilt some Animals are fed small portions for different ailments from what I've read, but Food Grade only.:great

TubeDriver
03-29-2015, 08:02 AM
Good thread!

I'll just repeat what has already been stated:

Only use "Food Grade" Diatomaceous Earth!

The other types (used for pools etc) is actually toxic and dangerous because of chemicals that are added.

ReRe
04-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Went online to see info about Diatomaccous Earth and really don't know which one to get. Both are at Walmart. Hopefully I am able to post the picture okay. Thanks

ReRe
04-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Couldn't figure out how to send a pic of DE. One is called Nature's Best Organic Feed, the other is made by Safer and has Diatomaccous Earth on the package. I can't read the descriptions on either. Maybe someone can tell me exactly which one to get. Thanks

lennysmom
04-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Yep, I agree with TD - Food grade DE and thanks for the reminder - I need to order some today. The ants are back and marching off with Angel's crumbs. :pissed
It proved to be very effective last year when Lenny was inside and we began to have an ant problem in the bathroom. It was such a relief to find something safe to use around the squee! :thumbsup

Annabelle's papa
04-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Couldn't figure out how to send a pic of DE. One is called Nature's Best Organic Feed, the other is made by Safer and has Diatomaccous Earth on the package. I can't read the descriptions on either. Maybe someone can tell me exactly which one to get. Thanks

Yep, I agree with TD - Food grade DE and thanks for the reminder - I need to order some today. The ants are back and marching off with Angel's crumbs. :pissed
It proved to be very effective last year when Lenny was inside and we began to have an ant problem in the bathroom. It was such a relief to find something safe to use around the squee! :thumbsup

:)Hi ReRe and lennysmom, this is the best deal I've been able to find, Red Lake brand Diatomaceous Earth in 20 lb bags, 12.00. Both Tractor Supply and Rural King carry this size, and it is listed as Food Grade on the label.:thumbsup

:)I recently purchased a 4 lb bag from Walmart, similar to the Natures Best although it was in a blue bag and it was 9.00.:tilt

:)Click image for a larger view.:great

pixiepoo
04-22-2015, 08:28 AM
I have to admit, for fleas, I have found this stuff to be useless. I used it on Peanut and my cats and it just gave the fleas a very fashionable white glow (it's all the rage this spring!). I do, however, occasionally feed it to my furbabies fixed with their food for a week at a time for intentional parasites. My guys are also on wormer (minus the flyers) but I figure it can't hurt. I too eat it and weirdly enjoy the chalky taste. I eat it in yogurt and everything thinks its disgusting. Perhaps I have a bit of pica!!!! Lol!!!

ReRe
04-23-2015, 02:41 PM
:)Hi ReRe and lennysmom, this is the best deal I've been able to find, Red Lake brand Diatomaceous Earth in 20 lb bags, 12.00. Both Tractor Supply and Rural King carry this size, and it is listed as Food Grade on the label.:thumbsup

:)I recently purchased a 4 lb bag from Walmart, similar to the Natures Best although it was in a blue bag and it was 9.00.:tilt

:)Click image for a larger view.:great

Thanks for the response, I am attaching a pic of it to make sure I got the right stuff. Too bad the feedback majority says doesn't help with fleas. Got it in case I do get a ant problem and figure out what else I can use it for. Miss Odus is 9-10 weeks, best way to use it? around her cage, inside her cage, she can eat it right? That is if I purchased the correct stuff. Thanks

Hey, if I had just looked closer, I would know it was one and the same. Yours is just a larger bag, right? Not much on directions on the jar will go online also and see if I can find more info on it's uses and how much.

ReRe
04-23-2015, 02:45 PM
attached incorrectly, here I go again.

TubeDriver
04-23-2015, 02:58 PM
That is Food grade DE.:thumbsup

attached incorrectly, here I go again.

Anne
04-23-2015, 04:32 PM
I use it on everyone, myself included.