PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone!

LilLulu
08-31-2013, 01:57 AM
I'mA NewbIe Here! Jus Wanted To Say A Quick Hello! My Two BabiesAre Sammie&LilBunch.

farrelli
08-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Hello and welcome! Can you tell us about them? Especially the diet? We're very interested around here about that given its importance and how frequently new people have it wrong. There's a lot of bad info out there.

kastillo
08-31-2013, 02:32 AM
:Welcome Do you have any pictures of your babies? How old are they?

Rhapsody
08-31-2013, 08:52 AM
HELLO & WELCOME........ :grin2
we LOVE PICS!!

joyceb11
08-31-2013, 05:11 PM
Glad to some else from New Hampshire on here! welcome

LilLulu
09-01-2013, 12:53 AM
testing to see if Avatar works...if my album photos uploaded..

:thankyou

LilLulu
09-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Happy to see a fellow Nh Squirreler:thumbsup

farrelli
09-01-2013, 01:02 AM
Very cute little guy!

LilLulu
09-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Main diet is Henry heal. bites -picky formula.
Sammie & Bunch differ on the extras.
Blueberries, Dand Greens, Acorns, Pecans, Strawberries-occas-,
Oak Bark & leaves, Apple , Pear, Sunflower seeds, hmmm off the top of my head that's the variety...
let me know anything I can do better,,,I have tried many things and I swear I have the picky eaters LOL

farrelli
09-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Sounds pretty good as long as the fruits and nuts are just treats. The following is a link to our healthy diet thread. The diet should be a couple HHBs a day, lots of veggies, and a bit of fruit and nuts as treats.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

And here is a thread about calcium/phosphorous ratios of various foods. The ideal ratio is 2:1 (two parts calcium to one part phosphorous). Very few foods will come close to that ideal, but you want to stay a long way away from things on the other end of the scale, like corm or peanuts. If you don't know, squirrels are prone to something called metabolic bone disease (MBD) which is caused by a lack of calcium, and phosphorous blocks calcium absorption. You want to give them a rich calcium diet. Many people put cuttle bones, pieces of antler (both can be purchased at pet stores), or sea shells in with them to gnaw on because they're high in calcium and help keep their teeth worn down.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?15397-Food-Data-Chart-Update-Calcium-to-Phosphorus-Ratios

CrazySquirrelLady
09-01-2013, 08:13 AM
welcome aboard! what a cute baby! you can start a thread in the nursery for him if you want! :D

LilLulu
09-01-2013, 09:31 AM
Sounds pretty good as long as the fruits and nuts are just treats. The following is a link to our healthy diet thread. The diet should be a couple HHBs a day, lots of veggies, and a bit of fruit and nuts as treats.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

And here is a thread about calcium/phosphorous ratios of various foods. The ideal ratio is 2:1 (two parts calcium to one part phosphorous). Very few foods will come close to that ideal, but you want to stay a long way away from things on the other end of the scale, like corm or peanuts. If you don't know, squirrels are prone to something called metabolic bone disease (MBD) which is caused by a lack of calcium, and phosphorous blocks calcium absorption. You want to give them a rich calcium diet. Many people put cuttle bones, pieces of antler (both can be purchased at pet stores), or sea shells in with them to gnaw on because they're high in calcium and help keep their teeth worn down.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?15397-Food-Data-Chart-Update-Calcium-to-Phosphorus-Ratios

Thank You farrelli! Actually I have done my research on all this even printed the Squirrel pyramid! lol I read and watch everything I can so I can get as much knowledge and then filter through.
I know the greens are important, maybe more suggestions on the greens, I bought the spring mix, all went in trash,lol
very picky about the dand greens also maybe 1 out of the 10 I pick! wont eat clover, some rose hips. Both mine were injured resques from an old homes park, so I believe primary diet was bird feeders--sunflower seeds. I am not telling how old they are lol I wanna see what people think, guess the age of the squirrel lol..I will post separate pics...:grin2

LilLulu
09-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Also they wont touch, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, Arugula, Brussel Sprouts, cabbage??? i'm running out of ideas lol:soapbox

farrelli
09-01-2013, 05:43 PM
You've just got to keep trying different things, and keep trying them. They often change their minds about disliking something. Perhaps some people can chime in about what he might like. Sorry that you're not getting much attention. The board is super active with a bunch of squirrels in jeopardy.

astra
09-01-2013, 07:24 PM
Also they wont touch, broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, Arugula, Brussel Sprouts, cabbage??? i'm running out of ideas lol:soapbox

sorry if I am repeating what's already been said - haven't had the time to go through each and every post.

But have you tried:
belgian endive
cucumbers (peeled)
watercress
curly endive
escarole
chicory (sometimes, chicory is interchangeable with endive)

Also, try broccoli and cauliflower lightly cooked, or lightly steamed - some sqs prefer lightly cooked veggies

Skul
09-02-2013, 12:55 PM
A couple of other things to try...
Slice of fresh mushroom, drumstick bone, cherry tomato, avocado (no skin or seed), blue berry, rose buds and hips.
Lots of things to try.

LilLulu
09-13-2013, 11:48 AM
:thumbsup
Thanks guys for all the helpful ideas! I will just keep trying to re introduce these things and hope they pick another lol....I wanna try a batch of boo Balls, and see what they think of those lol.

Charley Chuckles
09-13-2013, 03:34 PM
:Welcome :grin2