PDA

View Full Version : Formula mixture?????

sqrl luv
08-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Does anyone do the formula mixture suggested by Shirley Casey of Wildagain Wildlife Rehab? Which is 1/2 part Fox Valley 32/40 Day One Formula, 1/2 part Esbilac, 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup heavy cream and 2 parts water! This is supposed to sit for at least 4 hours but preferably 8 hours before using. This is based on the studies they conduct on all the milk replacers. Just wanted to know if anyone one uses it and what kind of results you have had with it! Thanks a bunch!

UDoWhat
08-31-2013, 08:32 PM
Yes, many rehabilitators use it with success. BUT that is not the recipe that I got from her. If I understand your formulation correctly the water is not enough. And yes the 4 hour "rest time" is absolutely necessary as the Esbilac is no longer an instant formula. The only reason I am using it this year is because I have had some trouble with FV alone. I HATE PetAGg but I love my babies more. This formula works fine but every time I pick up the Esbilac bag I say bad words.:soapbox

The recipe I got from her is:

1 part FV powder
1 part Esbilac powder
4 parts water
1/4 part heavy cream

My parts are usually based on tablespoons or (1/4 cup scoop) depending on how many babies I have. So that translates to:

1 - tablespoon FV powder
1 - tablespoon Esbilac powder
4 - tablespoons Water
1 - tablespoon heavy cream

sqrl luv
08-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Ok thank you! I'll ask her again! I sent her an email and gave her my calculations and she said it was correct, but I'll definitely ask again! I want it to be right!!!!

UDoWhat
08-31-2013, 10:32 PM
If the parts for the formula powders are based on a cup measure than I think we are saying the same thing. :grin3 But check anyway. I will too. I did not want to alarm you. :sanp3 Sorry if I did.

sqrl luv
08-31-2013, 10:51 PM
No that's good that you told me! I want to do the best thing for my babies so I want to make sure it's correct! Thanks so much!!!!

janiemcm
09-01-2013, 11:30 PM
I use this recipe, but substitute Ultra Boost for the heavy cream. i can never seem to keep the cream stocked.

UDoWhat - it looks like you're doing equal parts of FV, Esb, and heavy cream? - but the recipe has the heavy cream as 1/4 of what the FV and Esb are. or am i mis-reading your post?

it's late. my mind might just be blurry!