PDA

View Full Version : Accidental squirrel rescuer.

hashbr0wn
08-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Good evening,
2 days ago my husband was walking along a stretch of our road when he found a fully furred baby squirrel lying in the road (40 mph road, lots of dead squirrels all the time). He picked it up and it was still alive. He brought it home and I warmed it up and was surprised to see it open its eyes. Once it was warm, I did the skin test and found it to be severely dehydrated. We put it on fluids (Pedialyte) for 12 hours.

For 36 hours he has been on Esbilac formula, and he eats ravenously, and urinates quite a bit (when stimulated). He eats about every 4 hours, round the clock, usually 7-8 ccs from a 1cc syringe.

From the wealth of info here, I think he is about 7 weeks and is a fox squirrel. We live in a state where these are not native. Last time we found one on our street we tried to take it to a wildlife rehab and they told us they would be obligated to euthanize it. We got the number of a local, "reputable" rehabber, and she took the squirrel and raised it only to make it her indoor pet, which is precisely what we did NOT want (we were capable of doing that ourselves, as my husband is a former forestry worker and has rehabbed many baby animals in the past).

I have a couple of questions, there are some things that I don't feel that I am doing right:

He hasn't been pooping as much today. Only 2 small stools (or "turds", if you will). They were hard, and felt kind of dry. I have watered his formula down significantly since then, what else can I do? Yogurt? I bought some Nancy's yogurt for the probiotics, but I wanted to check here first.

Chewing: He wants to nibble, both softly and like he is teething (he likes my nails, or his warm rice sock). What branches can I give him to chew? I am terrified of choosing the wrong tree and poisoning him. I have an Italian plum tree and a birch in our backyard, plus plenty of trees near us.

As for future plans for the squirrel, we plan on doing what I believe you here refer to as a "soft release", where he is released onto our property, but always has a nest box outside. We have lots of squirrels around our house (they are constantly in our garden, digging and eating strawberries) and we hope he'll be right at home here, away from the main road.

I attempted to upload some pictures from the first day and today (the back of the sofa picture). He is now getting rambunctious, wanting to play, running and jumping around, etc.

Thnak you in advance for any and all advice.

Rhapsody
08-29-2013, 10:57 PM
First off --Thanks for taking in this sweet little guy and for be willing to love and care for him. :Love_Icon

We need to get him off the Esbilac and onto Fox Valley --this is probably why you are seeing dry droppings from him and will prob see more bowel issues in the future if he remains on the Esbilac. Then we need to get him started on some quality squirrel blocks --we recommend HHB here at TSB ...... you can order them at the same website as the Fox Valley formula. After you have transitioned him over to the new FV formula and he has been given a few weeks to enjoy and like the HBB blocks you can add some healthy vegetables and wild plants to his diet, followed by some fruits and nuts.

Fox Valley & HHB:
http://www.henryspets.com/

Squirrel Diet:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

hashbr0wn
08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
First off --Thanks for taking in this sweet little guy and for be willing to love and care for him. :Love_Icon

We need to get him off the Esbilac and onto Fox Valley --this is probably why you are seeing dry droppings from him and will prob see more bowel issues in the future if he remains on the Esbilac. Then we need to get him started on some quality squirrel blocks --we recommend HHB here at TSB ...... you can order them at the same website as the Fox Valley formula. After you have transitioned him over to the new FV formula and he has been given a few weeks to enjoy and like the HBB blocks you can add some healthy vegetables and wild plants to his diet, followed by some fruits and nuts.

Fox Valley & HHB:
http://www.henryspets.com/

Squirrel Diet:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

Thanks for the info, I'm on there shopping right now. There are 3 kinds of formula, which one do I need? And which blocks? I'd like to order it tonight.

Thank you!

Rhapsody
08-29-2013, 11:47 PM
There are 3 kinds of formula, which one do I need? And which blocks? I replied to your PM...... :)

Fox Valley -- 20/50 (4wks and older)
HHB blocks - Growth Formula

..... and 3cc & 5cc syringes w/ some nipples

MollyBear361
08-30-2013, 12:10 AM
What a cutie!!!! By not being "native" do you mean the squirrels outside your house are not foxers??
Great advice and also please lookup proper feeding technique. Nipple should be pointed up with baby on his tummy or even like you have him in the pic (picture momma squirrel laying on her back for her babies to nurse on her). This will help prevent aspirating and getting formula inhaled, in the nose, or in the lungs. This causes pneumonia and is deadly. There are some examples on this board somewhere but I'm on my phone so maybe you can search. Also need a kitchen scale so you can see weight gain and know how much to feed (5-7 percent of body weight at each feeding)....
Baby looks wonderful! Thank you!

farrelli
08-30-2013, 12:17 AM
Here's a link to a thread with a video about proper technique.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?36777-PROPER-FEEDING-TECHNIQUE!!

hashbr0wn
08-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Thank you, everyone.

The feeding picture was yesterday morning, before I found this forum. We have been feeding him with the syringe pointed up now, but not holding him, (he fights it now that he has his energy back). He also constantly tries to turn his head upside down, and we have to correct him. Perhaps this can be solved wit a bigger syringe? Or maybe holding him? I am just afraid of getting bit, (although he has not tried to bite), maybe I should be wearing gloves?

As for him not being native, I am in the Pacific NW, where we primarily have (in the city) Western grays, Eastern grays, and fox squirrels. The fox squirrels and Eastern grays were brought here, and are considered an "invasive species" (and have been likened to the nutria). They compete with the native squirrels, and therefore are unwelcome according to the rehab. Very sad to me, I have never even seen a Western gray in my city. Fox squirrels are everywhere here, so I do not feel that keeping this one squirrel alive will be doing a detriment to the ecosystem.

That being said, from what the rehab told me, it is illegal to release them back into the wild (or even have them in your possession, in my state), so I am a little paranoid, but that isn't stopping us from trying to give him the best chance at life.

At Rhapsody, I have not yet figured out how to reply to your message. I keep trying to send it, but the message box shows up again, without my message in it, so either I am failing or you will get the same message 4 times tonight (I apologize in either case), which is this:

Bottles with nipples? I was under the impression that you didn't want nipples, because they were more likely to aspirate? I have not been using nipples, and he has been eating fine (he suck on the syringe, though). Should I still get nipples? Thank you. Sorry for the pm, was hoping for (and received) a quick response so I can order this stuff as soon as possible for the baby. I know the pictures aren't very telling, but does the age estimation look about right? His tail arches over his back when he is running around.

Also, the little guy is becoming very "grunty" when he wants food or seems to want interaction. Is it okay to play with him? He likes to kind of "pounce" on my hand and then run off, much like a kitten. I enjoy playing with him, but am afraid of startling him and getting bitten as a response. Is it normal for them to "play" like this?

Thank you all in advance!

Rhapsody
08-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Bottles with nipples? I was under the impression that you didn't want nipples, because they were more likely to aspirate? I have not been using nipples, and he has been eating fine (he suck on the syringe, though). Should I still get nipples? Thank you. Sorry for the pm, was hoping for (and received) a quick response so I can order this stuff as soon as possible for the baby. I know the pictures aren't very telling, but does the age estimation look about right? His tail arches over his back when he is running around.

Also, the little guy is becoming very "grunty" when he wants food or seems to want interaction. Is it okay to play with him? He likes to kind of "pounce" on my hand and then run off, much like a kitten. I enjoy playing with him, but am afraid of startling him and getting bitten as a response. Is it normal for them to "play" like this?

Thank you all in advance!NP on the PM's ...... You finally got it all figured out and we solved the issues. While we do not use bottles, we do use nipples on our syringes once the babies are past 1-2 weeks old..... this helps with their urge to suckle and will stop them from chewing the syringe up as they get bigger and their teeth become stronger. I sent you a few links in PM for you to look for the "four paw nipples at" --I love them and they work great with squirrels 4 weeks and older.

With you having a single squirrel we encourage you to play with your furry little friend as much as you can and to give him as much out of the cage time as he can get each day --supervised of course. The time to stop playing with him and to allow him to wild up will come when he is placed outside in his release cage when he is around 14 weeks old --4 mths. (until then ENJOY!!)

SQUIRRELSAREME
08-30-2013, 01:15 AM
What part of Washington are you in? I have FV and willing to share if you are close. Cute little guy. I have three right now and planing on over wintering them for release in the spring . If you want to put them all together.

hashbr0wn
08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Good morning,

Okay, I will buy the nipples. He does have a strong, strong urge to suck, he tries to suck our fingertips all the time. Everything is being ordered now.

We fed him at 1am and he actually slept til 7am, so that was a nice change (my husband slept on the couch, in front of his cage, so if he woke up grunting for food someone would be here.

As far as my location, I'm in Oregon, unfortunately, but if we could exchange contact info in the event that he needs to be moved (like, if someone "drops the dime" on us for harboring an "invasive species"), we could be there in 4 hours or so.

Yesterday evening he was showing an interest in climbing in his little cage, so we went to the pet store and bought him a flight cage. Once he gets a little older and heavier he'll get a ferret nation cage.

This morning he woke up and began grooming himself for the first time (face, belly, and tail), maybe one of the most adorable milestones we have seen yet.

I believe I read here somewhere that he should get the blocks first thing in the morning, correct? Is 7 weeks old enough to start him on the blocks?

In the meantime, is there anything I can give him to help him poop? So far today we have only gotten one small, dry turd. I gave him a little Nancy's organic, unflavored yogurt, should that do the trick?

Once again, than you.

Rhapsody
08-30-2013, 01:20 PM
I believe I read here somewhere that he should get the blocks first thing in the morning, correct? Is 7 weeks old enough to start him on the blocks?

In the meantime, is there anything I can give him to help him poop? So far today we have only gotten one small, dry turd. Yes, 7-8 weeks old is a good time to start a squirrel off on HHB blocks...... they will only nibble on the them at first, so give the squirrel half a block at first as not to waste the food.

You can give him water (or sugar water to get him to drink it) in between his formula feedings to help with dry poops.
If he seems to be constipated you can try feeding him some natural pumpkin pie filling, no spices.

hashbr0wn
08-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Yes, 7-8 weeks old is a good time to start a squirrel off on HHB blocks...... they will only nibble on the them at first, so give the squirrel half a block at first as not to waste the food.

You can give him water (or sugar water to get him to drink it) in between his formula feedings to help with dry poops.
If he seems to be constipated you can try feeding him some natural pumpkin pie filling, no spices.

Okay, blocks, formula, new syringes and a couple of nipples from Henry's have been ordered (until the other ones are in stock).

He seems so desperate to chew on something, he is all over chewing on my clothes, his blanket (a receiving blanket), trying to chew my nails... should I go pick him some branches? We have a birch and a plum tree in our yard, I read that birch was approved on the squirrel food pyramid page...?

Thank you, everybody.

farrelli
08-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Sure, if he wants to chew, branches are great.

sqrl luv
08-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I am not an expert by any means as I am just going on my 3rd year of rehabbing, but as for the chewing I give mine pinecones, deer antlers and seashells to chew on! I have never been bitten and they will usually make a warning sound before biting! Good luck with your little guy... he is adorable!!!:crazy

JPlagg
08-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Hello everyone.....I've been a quiet lurker on the board til now. I just want to say that your little guy looks very much like my Penny. She was released to the back yard earlier this summer. When she was happy to see me she'd do that little grunting thing too. She liked to groom me too. She'd nibble between my fingers and nothing beats a squirrel manicure. I sure miss my little gal. Now that I'm hooked on the lil fuzz butts I want to pursue getting licenced here in Michigan.

ALittleNutty
08-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Love your title! I think many of us get into this "accidentally", lol!!! Your new fuzzbutt is so cute. Yes pine cones, antlers, moss, and a bowl of dirt are great for squirrels. My rescues go crazy over all the new stuff they get exposed to on their journey to being released.

hashbr0wn
08-31-2013, 08:00 PM
Okay, I have given him a few twigs (twisted into circles, so he doesn't poke himself with the ends) to carry around. He is doing so well!! The squirrel my husband brought home was cold, on it's side and just kind of flattened/shrunken looking. It barely moved at all. He is now climbing all over his cage, runs all over us, wants to be on us or touching us 24/7.

He has even began urinating on his own, there is only one problem: he climbs the side of his cage, and on the way up, the bars of the cage "stimulate him", and he urinates all over!! It runs down the side of the cage, flies out of the cage, goes everywhere. We don't know what to do, if we attach a blanket to the side of the cage we're afraid of his claws getting caught. Any ideas? :rofl4

Anyway, FV, blocks, new syringes, nipples, and gram scale have ALL been shipped and will be here next week. We've only gotten a couple of small poops today, so he got some canned/organic/un-spiced pumpkin puree (which he went absolutely crazy for). He is getting so talkative. If he gets put in his cage after mealtime, he grunts and kind of shakes the bars until we let him out again to sleep on us (he likes to go in our shirts on in pockets to sleep, NOT in his cage or nest box).

Is there any kind of bed anyone recommends? Like a hammock? We got a parrot nesting box and filled it with bamboo nesting material (really soft, fluffy stuff) but he doesn't seem to like it.

Once again, thank you all for your responses and support during this happy accident, LOL.