PDA

View Full Version : Even a squirrel?

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 10:12 AM
At the moment, I am trying to find a wildlife rehabber by me, and I do have a list available, so I don't need help there... yet. I found the squirrels two days ago, and I honestly don't know if they are even squirrels. My dog found all three of them, and one died yesterday. I put them in a cardboard box yesterday because I doubted the mother was going to retrieve them, but I am not sure if the other two are going to make it or not. :(.

Anyways, my question is about how exactly you can tell a baby squirrel apart from others such as raccoons and opossums? They are only a few days-1 week old. They have a very thin layer of dark-ish hair covering them, but no black nose like a raccoon. When I looked up a newborn squirrel, it looked the most like them. How do I tell if they are really baby squirrels?

THANK-YOU!

pappy1264
08-29-2013, 10:19 AM
Can you post a pic? Or you can send to me at pappy1264@yahoo.com

Do you have them on low heat? They need heat. Have you tried to give them any fluids?

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 10:27 AM
No, I'm honestly not even there with them. But if I were, I'd have them with heat -.-. I have not tried to give them any fluids either, because once again, I am not there. I'm really hoping they will be OK until I get there at 3:50ish. I will take a picture of them when I get there!

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Yes, can you give us a basic location so we might be able to locate someone close by.

Here is some info to get you started right now.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?21626-EMERGENCY-CARE-FOR-BABY-SQUIRRELS

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Ok, since this is day three they need help right now. Dehydration is going to be a major issue at this point. Seriously we need to try and find someone who can help them right now or they will not make it. Sorry if I sound harsh but they can't wait much longer at all if they are going to have any chance. Whatever you do don't try to feed them. A dehydrated animal can not process food.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Could you choose the best out of this list: http://www.michigandnr.com/dlr/

I just don't trust people on the internet with my actual location (no offence), but as you can see I live in Michigan. I won't be able to drive /far, though. Maybe there are a few out of that lists you recognize/recommend? I can travel where the cities are in the middle/close to the end of the list.

Thanks!

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I just started a thread for you in Emergency, Life Threatening titled MICHIGAN. Hopefully one of the locals will see it there. I totally understand not wanting to put info out there but in order to help we need at least a town so we can figure out who will be closest and can get to them quickest. They will contact you privately if the admins change it to where you can get messages. Everyone around here is careful about privacy.

Can you describe what care they have had up to this point? Whoever gets them will need to know as many details as possible. It would be best to post that info in the new thread.

Thanks for trying to help these babies and I hope we can find someone quickly for you.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Alright, thanks. I'm going to contact the Michigan Humane Society later, to see if they take in wild animals. I am going to try and make the dehydration formula and give it to them once I get to where they are.

SammysMom
08-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Humane Society will likely euthanize them. Have you put them on a heating pad?

SammysMom
08-29-2013, 11:50 AM
This is a rehabber who is in Michigan. Her name is Sally and her number is 586-484-6299

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Oh, okay. Then I will find another place... and no, they do not have any heat right now, because I am not there with them! Nobody is! They can't get heat, the only heat they have is the summer temps, in my shed. (Not sure how hot it is in there though?) Outside it is 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I will try and re-hydrate them immediately once I get there! Trust me, I want to save these baby squirrels with all my heart!

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks Sammy'sMom for chiming in! Hope Sally is close enough to help out. These little ones aren't on heat and I don't think they have had anything in 3 days. They need help FAST!

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
I can email it to you

SammysMom
08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Please don't give anything by mouth until they are warmed. Can you text me a picture? Do you have one on your phone with you by chance?

SammysMom
08-29-2013, 11:57 AM
vfwpost7666@sbcglobal.net

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't have a picture of them right now. When I get there I'll heat them with a warm water bottle. How should I do this, and how long should I wait till I feed them?

SammysMom
08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Where in MI are you? They are going to be in pretty rough shape at this point. If we can try to find an experienced person it would probably be best. If you have a long sock that you can fill with uncooked rice or dried beans and tie off the end, you can microwave it for 15 - 20 seconds at a time until it is warmed for them. You want to squish it around each time you nuke it to be sure there are no hot spots that can burn them. Then put it in with them and put fleece or tee shirts etc in over and under them so they can burrow into it and get warm.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 12:07 PM
I don't trust giving out my information but I will PM you...

SammysMom
08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Good thinking!

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
If you didn't get my PM Sammy I live about 27 miles from there/

sid'smommy
08-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Im wondering if they are even squirrels ?? 3 days no food or water?? baby squirrels probably wouldnt live that long....

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 12:58 PM
One died yesterday. My dog found another one yesterday. There's only one that hasn't had food in three days, and I don't even know if they're alive right now.

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 01:03 PM
Im wondering if they are even squirrels ?? 3 days no food or water?? baby squirrels probably wouldnt live that long....
I have been thinking the same thing.

Until they are warm they can't process formula at all. Just use this re-hydrating mixture.
2 cups water
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

Use this and this only for the first 24 hours. Being that it's been this long it's going to take someone very experienced since they may need subcutaneous fluids injected.

sid'smommy
08-29-2013, 01:04 PM
kaibrooke, are you going to get these babies to a rehabber soon ???

CrazySquirrelLady
08-29-2013, 01:11 PM
I don't trust giving out my information...
DARN... and here I am wanting to break into your shed and steal you squirrels...... i will drive around Michigan till I find the right shed. LOL.....

hey we want to help the squirrels here, not break in people's houses or come and murder them in their sleep. you crack me up LOL

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Okay, yes, I know none of you are planning on coming to my house to murder me or something... but it's just a precaution! No offence to any of you. And I am going to be with the squirrels (or raccoons, whatever they are) in about 20 minutes, then I'll take a pic, get them warm, try and re-hyrdrate them, then call a rehabber near me. Oh gosh, I hope they are still alive....

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Wishing you the best! Be sure when you try to rehydrate make sure the sugar water mixture is very warm and go slow just one tiny drop at a time making sure they swallow. Keep them heads up, belly down. Most mommas lie on their backs to nurse and this helps keep the babies from breathing in the liquid. We are here to help and at one time we all knew nothing about this either. Any questions just ask, but the best thing right now would be to get them in the hands of someone who is experienced.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 02:58 PM
They are alive! Well, one for sure! I'm not sure about the second one, I haven't checked yet. I'm going to do the warm water bottle thing to get them warm. What should I wrap the water bottle in?

sid'smommy
08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
please take a picture so we are sure of what animal we are dealing with....

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Wrap it in flannel or several old t-shirts. Don't use towels since little nails can get caught. Nothing with loose strings. Until you get the bottle warmed up you can tuck them inside your shirt. They should feel warm to the touch before you try to hydrate them. Get them warm and some fluid in them and then worry about pics. We can wait but we are curious to figure out what you have.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Wrap it in flannel or several old t-shirts. Don't use towels since little nails can get caught. Nothing with loose strings. Until you get the bottle warmed up you can tuck them inside your shirt. They should feel warm to the touch before you try to hydrate them. Get them warm and some fluid in them and then worry about pics. We can wait but we are curious to figure out what you have.

Well, one of them died :(. But there is still one alive, and I am positive he/she is a squirrel, just by the light coat of fur on its head. I am warming him up right now, and he seemed to be responsive to the new heat, which is good, I believe. My shed is pretty warm, and being it is warm outside, I hope he makes it!

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Well, one of them died :(. But there is still one alive, and I am positive he/she is a squirrel, just by the light coat of fur on its head. I am warming him up right now, and he seemed to be responsive to the new heat, which is good, I believe. My shed is pretty warm, and being it is warm outside, I hope he makes it!

Aww! Sorry. After you get some fluid in it and post pics we can probably help with age. It helps if you put a ruler or a coin in the pic to help with size. If you have a way to weigh it in grams that would help a lot. Have you managed to get in contact with a local rehabber or Sally? Little ones are tough and a round the clock job.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm going to contact a rehabber once I get him hydrated. I'm guessing he's only a few days-1 week old...! Right now he's in the process of being warmed up :).

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 03:38 PM
he's very tiny! only about 3 inches long.

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 03:48 PM
I would go ahead and try to contact one while you are getting it warm. Time is critical with these little ones especially if dehydration is a factor.

kaibrooke
08-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Okay, but I don't want to send him off to a rehabber that will just put him/her down. People said Sally lived in Michigan and was a rehabber... what is her username??

ALittleNutty
08-29-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't know her user name but we look at that as a last resort only if nothing can be done. I do know that the longer you wait the more likely that will be the only humane option. This baby has got to be severely dehydrated by now and may need fluids given by injection by a trained rehabber. Call her now!

sid'smommy
08-29-2013, 04:50 PM
you are slowly euthanizing them..... please just call.

sid'smommy
08-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Since there is no more activity on this thread, Im going to assume that all the babies have passed on. Im so sorry for thier suffering. Hopefully, next time you will know that saving a life might mean having to let go.

ALittleNutty
08-30-2013, 04:40 PM
I was thinking the same, the little one must have passed on. We can not stress enough how time is so critical in getting these little ones the help they need. Hopefully the original poster will be more prepared in the future to give proper immediate care while getting a rehabber in route to take over. I am glad they found The Squirrel Board though and know where they can get help in the future.