PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Blocks (and a few questions, of course!)

schrislip00
08-25-2013, 11:30 PM
Just ordered Henry's Vita-Mins mix and their whey protein isolate to make blocks. Didn't know that aluminum-free baking powder existed, but bought me some of that today. Now, I did not find ground nuts or pecan meal so I had to buy pecan pieces. What is the best way to go about grinding them? I have a small food chopper and a coffee grinder.

How old should they be to eat them? I got some Kaytee blocks just to see if they would be interested in them (they were super cheap) but so far no interest.

Both the girls have their eyes open now. They are up to 91 and 94 grams today. I have had them since July 25th. So I'm thinking maybe they are about five to six weeks old. When I got them they were pink but no umbilical cord.

Rhapsody
08-25-2013, 11:34 PM
You can introduce your squirrel to hhb at 8 weeks old --they will nibble and play with it at first, so start off with half a block.
I usually grind my whole nuts up in a blender or food processor, it just depends on which one is closer to me atm.

CrazySquirrelLady
08-25-2013, 11:40 PM
coffee grinder will work, but I would grind some oats or something in there to make sure the coffee is all gone before grinding nuts in there.

schrislip00
08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
It seems like they have been nibbling at the Kaytee blocks that I put in their bin.

schrislip00
09-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Made some blocks today. I think I added a bit too much water, but they were firm after baking. I put a small block in with each squirrel and they were sniffing around them. I'm at work, so I'll check in the morning to see if they ate any. The one squirrel nibbles at the Kaytee blocks, but the other one not so much so we'll see how the Henry's formula works.

farrelli
09-04-2013, 12:01 AM
If they're really young and are just starting on solids, they probably will do anything to them but eat them at first.

schrislip00
09-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Their top teeth are coming in now. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks that I have had them, so I'm guessing they are 7 to 8 weeks old. Can you tell by pictures? Not the best picture but the most recent (September 2nd).

Rhapsody
09-04-2013, 12:11 AM
Yeah - I would give them to be about 6 weeks old.... and dont worry if they dont eat the blocks right away --most just
nibble, chew or play with them at first. Give half a block until you see them start to actually eat the blocks.

farrelli
09-04-2013, 12:27 AM
Btw, if you aren't aware, blocks should be stored in the fridge, or freezer for long term storage.

schrislip00
09-04-2013, 12:38 AM
I did not put them in the fridge when I left for work. Do you think they'll be okay if I put them in the fridge when I get home? I made them about 3:00 pm and I will get home around 8:15 am this morning.

CrazySquirrelLady
09-04-2013, 07:03 AM
probably, thanks Farrelli, for pointing out we forgot to say that refrigerator is needed. good catch!

as long as your house is air conditioned they probably be okay. cut em up and store in fridge if big batch freeze half.

I think about 8 weeks. is tail fluffy yet? tails easy to age them by. start a thread in the nursery too! with more pics! i love pictures.

Rhapsody
09-04-2013, 07:05 AM
I did not put them in the fridge when I left for work.
Do you think they'll be okay if I put them in the fridge when I get home?
I made them about 3:00 pm and I will get home around 8:15 am this morning.Yes, they will be fine........ just make sure you place them in the frig and keep them stored there .