PDA

View Full Version : do squirrels carry lyme disease?

virginia_arce2280
08-20-2013, 06:03 PM
I was talking to a friend the other day who lives in VA and they found out I was rehabilitating 3 squirrels and they told me that up in VA, they shoot a bunch of the squirrels:eek for one there are too many and get in the trash and another, they said that they carry lyme disease:eek.
Is this true? I felt so bad when I heard that.
Just curious. Thanks for the help and info!:shakehead

SammysMom
08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
No. Ticks carry Lyme disease. Generally Deer ticks.

virginia_arce2280
08-20-2013, 06:30 PM
That's what I thought, but when they said that I figured I'd better not say anything until I have the facts. I hate that people just kill any animal because they are an inconvenience. We are the ones invading their space when we clear land for our houses. :shakehead

SammysMom
08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
That's what I thought, but when they said that I figured I'd better not say anything until I have the facts. I hate that people just kill any animal because they are an inconvenience. We are the ones invading their space when we clear land for our houses. :shakehead

Absolute truth!!!

Charley Chuckles
08-20-2013, 06:46 PM
This saddens me to the point I want to throw up :sanp3 Outside of TSB and a hand full of PRO SQUIRREL LOVERS I am beginning to hate human kind :sanp3

Sweet Simon's Mommy
08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
me too

virginia_arce2280
08-20-2013, 07:41 PM
me too

Love the bear picture!!:rofl4

Anne
08-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Virginia, Lyme disease is carried by deer ticks. Squirrels aren't known to have ticks. Don't you worry about Lyme:grouphug.

stepnstone
08-20-2013, 08:17 PM
they told me that up in VA, they shoot a bunch of the squirrels for one there are too many and get in the trash and another, they said that they carry lyme disease

Some people will make any excuse fact or fiction and call it a reason
just to shoot off their guns at anything that moves.

Real shame we can't arm the squirrels and let them take aim at stupidity...

virginia_arce2280
08-20-2013, 08:40 PM
Virginia, Lyme disease is carried by deer ticks. Squirrels aren't known to have ticks. Don't you worry about Lyme:grouphug.

Thanks Anne!
Great to hear from you! I think of you often and hope you're well.:)
This makes me feel better, not for those poor squirrels, but at least to know better the facts (or better said re-aquainted with the facts that I should have known better):flush
Thanks everyone who responded!
I have to deal with a lot of people who think I am insane for what I do, as I assume a lot of you do too.:grouphug