PDA

View Full Version : My Squirrels (Help!)

Broth3rz
08-18-2013, 11:43 PM
So my dad and I were cutting these big limbs down from a tree and we went ahead and cut this one down, it fell 10 feet. Then I started to hear squeaks. Sure enough, 3 baby squirrels about 1-2 weeks old. Since their nest came down when the limb did, we couldn't really put them back.

So I've had them since like 1-2PM Thursday and they seem decent at the moment. I got a heating pad and keep them nice and toasty, but sadly I'm a nub to all of this and I can't find a Wildlife place that's somewhat close so I guess I have to take care of them.

I had a few questions...

1. I'm able to get them to poop and pee, so that's good, but they do poop on their own in their box.. and it's really hard to get the dry feces off them.. I thought they couldn't poop without help?
2. I first heard that Kitten and Puppy milk was best for them, to keep them away from Cow and Soy milk, so I didn't make that mistake but all I have is this (www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811430). I don't know if this is safe for them or what... so I've been researching and found that Esbilac was the best thing to use, until they changed it. So now I guess the best food for them is the Fox Valley? So is the Whiskas safe for them? Also should I get Fox Valley? If so, which one? I believe their between 1-2 weeks old. Also I'm not sure what kind of milk is in the Whiskas??
3. I've been alternating between that kitten milk and the salt, sugar water mix. Can I stick with this water mixture or is it REALLY necessary to get the Pedialyte?
4. It's hard to feed them without aspirating since I only have an eye dropper, but I believe I found a way to do it now, without aspiration, so I think I'm okay at the moment but I wanted to get a real 1cc Syringe, would this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-Ring-Syringes-Slip-Tips-Free-Shipping-/290877496090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43b9a65b1a) work?
5. What's the best end for the Syringe, a long one or The Miracle Nipple, also will The Miracle Nipple fit that Syringe above?
6. What's up with them head butting their siblings? lol..
7. Is it me or is it that they love to eat way too fast when their babies? I see videos of older squirrels eating perfectly, mine go nuts which cause them to choke and then I gotta do the head thing and wipe their nose. Though I guess it also causes an issue since that kitten milk is more of a thin liquid then that thick stuff their suppose to be fed?
8. I'd love to get these things but it takes days and days to get here, so it's like, what am I suppose to do in the mean time? Starve them.. :(

If anyone knows of someone that could help I guess let me know. I'm in Cincinnati (Anderson), Ohio. Sadly, I don't really have transportation. I can upload images of them if needed.

Thanks.

SammysMom
08-18-2013, 11:52 PM
:thankyoufor helping these little guys!
The food you have is not good at all. Goats milk and full fat yogurt will work. 1 tablespoon yogurt to 3 tablespoons fresh goats milk. You can get a syringe at a local pharmacy if you tell them it is for a kitten. This is very important!!! Eyedroppers aspirate every time.

Broth3rz
08-18-2013, 11:55 PM
But the Whiskas will hold them off for a while right? I guess they have Goat milk at the Petstore? Is the yogurt necessary?

Unikorngrrl
08-18-2013, 11:58 PM
1. I'm able to get them to poop and pee, so that's good, but they do poop on their own in their box.. and it's really hard to get the dry feces off them.. I thought they couldn't poop without help?

They can some, but you do have to stimulate, best to before and after feeding!

2. So is the Whiskas safe for them? Also should I get Fox Valley? If so, which one?

NO Whiskas!!! Period!!!! Go get Goat's Milk, Heavy Whipping Cream and Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt!! I'll put the recipe in the next post. Completely discontinue the Whiskas!!!! Then order the FV after you get them on the Goat's Milk!!

3 Can I stick with this water mixture or is it REALLY necessary to get the Pedialyte?

You only use the water mixture for 24 hours. You can continue with the salt for 24 hrs ONLY. After that remove the salt. They should be hydrated if they weren't long without mom though.

4. It's hard to feed them without aspirating since I only have an eye dropper, but I believe I found a way to do it now, without aspiration

Go to Henry's Healthy Pets and get syringes and FV. Henryspet.com DO NOT USE THE EYEDROPPER AGAIN!!!! They will die from aspiration pneumonia very easily!!! Go on and order 1cc and 3cc syringes b/c you will need them. Get nipples too! Go to an all night pharmacy and get 1cc syringes from them to use for now!! No MORE EYEDROPPER!!!!!!!

5. What's the best end for the Syringe?

You can get the miracle nipple, it fits all syringe types

6. What's up with them head butting their siblings?

They're trying to pile up for warmth. Keep them in a plastic container (cardboard steals their fluids) with a NO AUTO SHUT OFF heating pad under HALF of the container. Put several layers of fleece or t-shirt material between them and the container. Also cover them with the same stuff!

7. Is it me or is it that they love to eat way too fast when their babies? I see videos of older squirrels eating perfectly, mine go nuts which cause them to choke and then I gotta do the head thing and wipe their nose. Though I guess it also causes an issue since that kitten milk is more of a thin liquid than a thick stuff their suppose to be fed?

They're partially starving from the wrong formula. They should be fed approximately every 3 hours at that age. You should be able to see the milk through their skin on their tummies. When it is gone, they're ready to eat again. Feed them only when they're warm!!!!

8. I'd love to get these things but it takes days and days to get here, so it's like, what am I suppose to do in the mean time? Starve them.. :(

Go get the goat's milk, yogurt and cream now!!

ijustsavedasquirrel
08-18-2013, 11:58 PM
So my dad and I were cutting these big limbs down from a tree and we went ahead and cut this one down, it fell 10 feet. Then I started to hear squeaks. Sure enough, 3 baby squirrels about 1-2 weeks old. Since their nest came down when the limb did, we couldn't really put them back.

So I've had them since like 1-2PM Thursday and they seem decent at the moment. I got a heating pad and keep them nice and toasty, but sadly I'm a nub to all of this and I can't find a Wildlife place that's somewhat close so I guess I have to take care of them.

I had a few questions...

2. I first heard that Kitten and Puppy milk was best for them, to keep them away from Cow and Soy milk, so I didn't make that mistake but all I have is this (www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2811430). I don't know if this is safe for them or what... so I've been researching and found that Esbilac was the best thing to use, until they changed it. So now I guess the best food for them is the Fox Valley? So is the Whiskas safe for them? Also should I get Fox Valley? If so, which one? I believe their between 1-2 weeks old. Also I'm not sure what kind of milk is in the Whiskas??
3. I've been alternating between that kitten milk and the salt, sugar water mix. Can I stick with this water mixture or is it REALLY necessary to get the Pedialyte?
4. It's hard to feed them without aspirating since I only have an eye dropper, but I believe I found a way to do it now, without aspiration, so I think I'm okay at the moment but I wanted to get a real 1cc Syringe, would this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/O-Ring-Syringes-Slip-Tips-Free-Shipping-/290877496090?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item43b9a65b1a) work?
5. What's the best end for the Syringe, a long one or The Miracle Nipple, also will The Miracle Nipple fit that Syringe above?
6. What's up with them head butting their siblings? lol..
7. Is it me or is it that they love to eat way too fast when their babies? I see videos of older squirrels eating perfectly, mine go nuts which cause them to choke and then I gotta do the head thing and wipe their nose. Though I guess it also causes an issue since that kitten milk is more of a thin liquid then that thick stuff their suppose to be fed?

If anyone knows of someone that could help I guess let me know. I'm in Cincinnati (Anderson), Ohio. Sadly, I don't really have transportation. I can upload images of them if needed.

Thanks.

Im new here but im just gonna regurgitate everything i've been told,

go to ur local drug store/CVS pharmacy they will give you SYRINGES FOR FREE. You need to get the things the above poster said.

The mixture u have is not good, the above one, some wll say will work, but the better stuff you order offline.

Just saying, you really should try to find someone who can take care of them. I found 1 just today and im giving it to someone. It's a lot of money, especially to feed 3 and take allthose chances.

By the way, you don't need pedialyte, ONLY if you are trying to rehydrate them(if they'er dehydrated.

Post pictures, it will help people.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:00 AM
But the Whiskas will hold them off for a while right? I guess they have Goat milk at the Petstore? Is the yogurt necessary?

NO MORE WHISKAS it will kill. Go get the goat's milk yesterday!!! Yes the full fat yogurt is necessary and so is the heavy cream!!!!

Sorry, got caught up in the emergency part and forgot to say :wave123 and :Welcome to TSB!!! Thank you for helping these babies!!!

SammysMom
08-19-2013, 12:02 AM
I would not use whiskas. Goats milk is human grade at the grocery. Hydraye with 1cup water and 1 tablespoon sugar. No more salt or pedialyte.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:02 AM
Syringes are not always free but are cheap if they won't give them to you!

Most any grocery store will have the goat's milk either in the frig section or in the canned section. If you get canned you will need to dilute it with the exact same amount of water as there is goat's milk. Then add the yogurt and cream!! Cream will be in the frig section also!!

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 12:11 AM
So go get goats milk at the grocery store, mix it with yogurt.. which I don't know which yogurt since there's like... 1,000 choices..brand? flavor? Heavy Whipping Cream? :/

I'll have to wait another 10 hours for Petsco to open and I guess I'll try and get the Syringe with a nipple. Hope they have some there since the closest Pharmacy wouldn't sell us one...

I guess I should still keep feeding them water until I get the goat milk?

And even if their hungry, don't feed them Whiskas ... what's in it that will kill?

farrelli
08-19-2013, 12:21 AM
Full fat vanilla yogurt.

The nipple isn't necessary. The end of the syringe will suffice.

Here is a video of proper feeding technique. It's very important. Head down, syringe pointed up, slowly feed.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?36777-PROPER-FEEDING-TECHNIQUE!!

And here's a link to basic care:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?11782-I-FOUND-A-BABY-SQUIRREL-NOW-WHAT

You might have to rally look for the goat's milk, lots of people who work there might not even know they have it. Canned is by the condensed milk. If it needs to be diluted, it will be on the label. Lots of places sell it - Walmart, Trader Joes, etc.

farrelli
08-19-2013, 12:22 AM
A pharmacy refused you? Ask again. Tell them that you just want a 1cc, without needle for a baby kitten you found.

farrelli
08-19-2013, 12:24 AM
I'm already late to bed, but kitten formula is too high in protein. If they have been on it for awhile and are tolerating it well (peeing and pooping properly), I might continue until morning. If not, just provide sugar water until morning and get out there first thing.

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 12:25 AM
I'll see what I can do and post back ASAP.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Make sure you read all of the posts broth3rz.

Goat's milk, near the milk. Any brand.

Heavy whipping cream. Also near the milk, any brand.

Yogurt, full fat vanilla, any brand, Dannon is all I have found though

Kittens and rodents (squirrels) require totally different nutrition. It has too little and too much of many things. Diarrhea is a number 1 issue and they dehydrate REALLY fast!!!

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:30 AM
DO NOT CONTINUE THE KITTEN MILK PERIOD!!!!!!! Feed the sugar water if you can't get the formula tonight. You don't know what's in the junk and at any minute they could start with diarrhea that you can't stop! Then you have to fight dehydration which is REALLY hard to fight in babies that tiny!!!!!!!

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Alright, so 1 tablespoon yogurt to 3 tablespoons fresh goats milk, how much whipping cream to add?

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:35 AM
heavy whipping cream, add 1 tablespoon!

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 12:39 AM
1 tablespoon yogurt, 3 tablespoons fresh goats milk, 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, got it. And I need to warm this up to 98, right?

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:43 AM
1 tablespoon yogurt, 3 tablespoons fresh goats milk, 1 tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, got it. And I need to warm this up to 98, right?

A little bit warmer really. You want it to be really warm on your wrist, not burning hot but really warm. Do not warm in the microwave. fill the syringes and put them tip down in a sandwich baggy and put the baggy into a hot mug of water and let it sit for a couple minutes. It warms right up!!

farrelli
08-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Pinkies like formula very warm, almost hot. A momma's body temp is 102. The milk would be about that temp. Always test it out beforehand to be sure it's not too hot. Don't microwave, warm it in a water bath. Uni can explain if unclear. Goodnight. Good uck.

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 12:45 AM
What's wrong with the microwave? o_O

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:48 AM
Also, since they've aspirated repeatedly. Please go ahead tomorrow and hunt down Cipro or Baytril. Cipro is a human antibiotic and Baytril is a Veterinary antibiotic. Someone may have 1 pill and that's all you will need. Or you can go to the pet store, I think farrelli says they call it fishflox. Enrofloxacin. You will need to have it on hand b/c they may very well end up with aspiration pneumonia and you don't want to be running around looking for it when they're already sick b/c they go down very quickly then.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:51 AM
The microwave kills the nutrients in the formula!

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 12:56 AM
FYI, I have a large coffee mug. I fill it with water and microwave it for 2 minutes while I fill syringes. Then I put the filled syringes in the baggy and in the water. By the time I get to my bedroom and pull my babies out and stimulate them to pee and poop, the milk is perfectly warm! I always test a drip on my wrist to be sure it doesn't burn (like farrelli said)!

I know this seems like a lot and like a lot of foolishness, but we've learned what works and what doesn't from the best. They must be kept warm at all times. After the initial head spin, it all falls into place and doesn't seem like so much.

Do you have them in a plastic container?

Are they on a heating pad? (NO auto shut off under half of the container, several layers of cloth underneath: no towels! T-shirt or sweatshirt material under and over them)

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 01:02 AM
What is your approx location in Ohio? I might be close enough to help ...

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 01:05 AM
" I'm in Cincinnati (Anderson), Ohio. " are you close by sid'smommy?

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 01:08 AM
:( 3 1/2 hours away ....

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 01:10 AM
We've instructed to call the pharmacy and plead for a 1cc for the babies. Saying kitten and aspirating. We're PMing back and forth also. Clarifying some things. Hoping we're on the right track!

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Who is going to care for them while you're in school? They'll die without care? Or how old are you? How many do you have? How did you determine their age? You need a kitchen scale. You need to be able to weigh them daily in grams! That's how we'll tell you how much to feed and how often and how we'll dose meds.

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 02:27 AM
A picture from a cell phone would help...

You said they were 1-2 weeks old ? If they are, you will need to feed and potty them every 2 hours or more...all day and all night. They will not survive if you cant do this. Feeding 3 of them will take approx 1 hour ... you will need to mark them so you know who gets fed first, 2nd...etc. You will also need to log times and amounts they ate, and daily weight gain. . so you will be able to see failure to thrive before its too late.

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 02:29 AM
I have to go to sleep- will check back in tomorrow morning to see what I need to do.

Jackie in Tampa
08-19-2013, 03:08 AM
just a head's up, Eric Taylor is an hour away from Anderson...:thumbsup

feed stores carry disposable syringes and some will have canned Meyerberg Brand Goats Milk.
All veterinarian offices will have them as well. Some pharmacys.
If you are charged for them, they are usually a buck each. You will need several as they are disposable and start to stick, this can also cause aspiration.
The plunger gets goopy and will not move, then suddenly it lets go and bam... a flood of formula just shot down the babies throat...:sanp3
so be careful, go slow... cooking oil can be used as a lube until the proper O ring syringes can be located/ordered.

Newtown Feed & Supply (http://www.yellowpages.com/cincinnati-oh/mip/newtown-feed-supply-3400153?lid=3400153)
6876 Main St # 1, Cincinnati, OH 45244 (513) 271-3446
try calling this FS, they appear to be close to Anderson.

good luck...

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Call me please. 937-655-6228

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 03:47 AM
:thankyou :thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
08-19-2013, 05:31 AM
so good to see you on Eric, TY!!:thankyou

I know the laws in Ohio are super strict... hard to get any vet care...
hoping you can help out in this situation, sounds like these babies need medications asap.

Broth3rz, you're so lucky to have Eric so close, Ohio is one of the tougher states to find help...
the laws are so strict that wildlife is always euthanized and finders are often fined and or jailed...I know it, so fricken ridiculous, but sadly true... :soapbox
If your babies have aspirated, Eric is going to be of value... he has connections/contacts to help these babies.
Thank you so much for taking them in... they certainly would not have survived without you!!!:bowdown:bowdown
Please please please get in contact with ET!!!! Thank you !!!!

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 06:20 AM
Awesome job guys. He called and is willing to take the help.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Sigh of relief!!! Broth3rz take Eric up on the offer to teach you so you can learn and do it yourself!! We need more rehabbers EVERYWHERE!!! :thankyou so much for caring about these babies enough to let someone help with them. We appreciate all you have done for them!!

Jackie in Tampa
08-19-2013, 06:22 AM
Awesome job guys. He called and is willing to take the help.oh good..:):grin2:grin3
please keep us in the loop:thumbsup

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Absolutely:) thanks for helping!

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 06:42 AM
For the record I never said I wasn't going to take any help.. But, yes, Eric was nice enough to say he'd come down when it's possible to get them to 100% so that I have a real chance to learn to raise them so I may be of help maybe with you all in the future.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 06:50 AM
For the record I never said I wasn't going to take any help.. But, yes, Eric was nice enough to say he'd come down when it's possible to get them to 100% so that I have a real chance to learn to raise them so I may be of help maybe with you all in the future.

That would be AWESOME!!! We welcome the help!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup :grin3

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 07:06 AM

You are doing fine Josh. They will be fine. I will be happy to guide you and I always need help and with the right guidance you will be a wonderful asset:)

Nancy in New York
08-19-2013, 07:18 AM

Fantastic news!
This is the way that many of us started.
Stick around, more little ones will find their way you. :grouphug
Broth3rz thank you for helping these babies.
Thank you Eric!

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 07:50 AM
You're welcome;) thank you for getting me.
Fantastic news!
This is the way that many of us started.
Stick around, more little ones will find their way you. :grouphug
Broth3rz thank you for helping these babies.
Thank you Eric!

Milo's Mom
08-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi Eric!!!

Thank you for being such an awesome person!!! Miss seeing you as much as we used too, but we all now what you're busy doing. :grouphug

SammysMom
08-19-2013, 08:07 AM
Do NOT add heavy cream for the first 2 days! Where exactly are you and we will see if we can find someone to help you with these guys.:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 08:26 AM
Aww thanks:) Yea busy as heck around here! There are no mammal people within 40 miles. One cat 2 so she takes the injured for me. I've seen so many rabbits my eyes are bugging out. Squirrels are regular too!
Hi Eric!!!

Thank you for being such an awesome person!!! Miss seeing you as much as we used too, but we all now what you're busy doing. :grouphug

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 08:27 AM
He's got a recipe til 4 then I take them:)
Do NOT add heavy cream for the first 2 days! Where exactly are you and we will see if we can find someone to help you with these guys.:grouphug:Love_Icon:grouphug

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Just to update everyone, just got back from the store getting the goat milk, yogurt, and heavy whipping cream.. fed them all between 1-1.5cc each. Had 1 issue with the first, the second guy really wanted to force feed himself so we have a few issues, but I re-acted quickly and controlled it more and the last one had no issues since I got my technique down now. Then after they were all fat and lazy, they gave me a chance, without arguing... to wipe them, they all just pee'd, no poo'ing till next time, they will definitely have to go after this meal!

Now their laying down with the heating pad being lazy and won't move if an earthquake hit.

I added 3 teaspoons of the milk, 1 yogurt, and 2 cream since I wanted it thicker so there would be less of a chance of them choking, but I'm not sure why not to give them the cream for 2 days? They got some this time... Should I not add it for 2 days?

Anyways they gulped it all down and pee'd.

Unikorngrrl
08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
YES!! Add the cream! Eric and I already gave you the recipe and it works great for many, many here!

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 09:19 PM
Sorry, I forgot about taking the images... I just got done feeding and potty'ing them. So their kinda wiped out and lazy at the moment, so because of that I only took a few, if you all want more images of them playing later I can do that just let me know.

They usually fall asleep in my hand after I feed them while I'm potty'ing them. This seems to work best since the feast gets them calm and tired so I don't have to wrestle with them.

http://imgur.com/a/5SpdE (click the image to make it bigger)

I think the big one is a little bloated at the moment.. I'll have to monitor that.. Her stomach is soft but just big, I think maybe she swallowed air last time we feed, I'm not sure if that can cause bloating. But this time not 1 choking issue! They all ate like 1-1.5cc each!

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Did someone already tell you that these babies will not stop eating when they are full ? You must stop feeding them after they reached thier max according to body weight. Im concerned about the bloated baby... appears to be bruising on the belly also. Were they fully hydrated before feeding ?

eric taylor
08-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Sorry, I forgot about taking the images... I just got done feeding and potty'ing them. So their kinda wiped out and lazy at the moment, so because of that I only took a few, if you all want more images of them playing later I can do that just let me know.

They usually fall asleep in my hand after I feed them while I'm potty'ing them. This seems to work best since the feast gets them calm and tired so I don't have to wrestle with them.

http://imgur.com/a/5SpdE (click the image to make it bigger)

I think the big one is a little bloated at the moment.. I'll have to monitor that.. Her stomach is soft but just big, I think maybe she swallowed air last time we feed, I'm not sure if that can cause bloating. But this time not 1 choking issue! They all ate like 1-1.5cc each!

I hate to tell you this but those are not squirrels those are possum... Jk jk
I will be there tomorrow afternoon. Sorry I got hung up at the accident. That was a crazy wait. It was on the news. I found an easier way to get to you without going through that stupid freeway. you are doing good keep it up stay calm and relaxyou'll be just fineI really can't see the picture that wEll the one you're talking about being bloated maybe someone else can chime in and see if they know what it looks like

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 10:03 PM
I just don't want you to have to take any of them. Hope all is good tomorrow.

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Eric... that girl doesnt look good to me... hopefully you can see the picture soon

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 10:12 PM
She was perfectly fine hours ago, this is all of a sudden. Her stomach looks perfectly normal compared to the others, it's not black or anything, just a little air it looks like, it's really soft too.

It's just the lighting that makes it look like a bruise, that's not actually there in real life.

I guess I could take a picture of her stomach if it's really that necessary??

SammysMom
08-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Another pic would be a good idea. It can speak volumes.

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 10:31 PM
Lighting is still kinda messing it up, on the right side, it's not dark or anything like in the image. Shes moving too much, I'd have to wait till I fed her again.

www.imgur.com/a/YipFH

SammysMom
08-19-2013, 10:34 PM
She should be sleeping between feedings. Maybe a pic of a sleeping baby? It would be better to take the picture and let the experienced members take a look before you feed again. They can really crash pretty easily. Having just lost one last night, I am all too familiar with how fast they can go downhill...:Love_Icon

Broth3rz
08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
She isn't sleeping in any way to get a good image, this is the best I can get.

http://i.imgur.com/uEwZJpM.jpg

sid'smommy
08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
She should be sleeping between feedings. Maybe a pic of a sleeping baby? It would be better to take the picture and let the experienced members take a look before you feed again. They can really crash pretty easily. Having just lost one last night, I am all too familiar with how fast they can go downhill...:Love_Icon

Thats what I was thinking... Im not doubting your efforts here, but I am terribly worried about them because they are so touchy at this age. There are so many very experienced rehabbers that struggle with them at this age, even tho they know all the little quirks. Thank you for caring enough to save them..... alot of tree cutters woulda just tossed them aside

Unikorngrrl
08-20-2013, 05:14 AM

I wasn't trying to contradict, sorry! I got a PM with a question and a link to the thread. I was in a hurry on the way in the door to an appointment, answering a text message from another concerned member, and did not read up the thread at all, simply answered the question. I came straight home and went to sleep so just realized this was here.

I make every effort not to create, foster or join in any DRAMA!!! :nono :shakehead :peace :peace I'll try to read back and make sure this doesn't happen again. I think it's ugly to contradict and had no intention of doing so at all, especially on the open board!! :hidechair :peace :peace

Jackie in Tampa
08-20-2013, 05:45 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/11aeg03.jpgdrama????? I didn't see any drama..thank goodness.
(inserting words like Drama only LEADS to drama}
nothing personal Uni...:poke:grin

I think since the FV info has everyone on eggshells and many have never used it as a formula, but have only instructed newbies to use it... not very many peeps actually know how it works on babies and their bellies...
that's what we need to openly discuss...the way it should look and the way we should decide on whether to add the cream now or later. jmho:grin3
Unless a sq IS NOT healthy perfectly from the get go..I do use HC...even the first feeding! and I have used GM once or twice!!http://www.perugiamurderfile.org/images/smilies/2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes__.gif

eric taylor
08-20-2013, 05:58 AM
hey guys at 4 o'clock this evening I'm going to take possession of them whether or not they have bloat at all I will fix it. this heavy cream a be eradicated will be on Fox Valley 32/40

Unikorngrrl
08-20-2013, 06:03 AM
http://i27.tinypic.com/11aeg03.jpgdrama????? I didn't see any drama..thank goodness.

I think since the FV info has everyone on eggshells and many have never used it as a formula, but have only instructed newbies to use it... not very many peeps actually know how it works on babies and their bellies...
that's what we need to openly discuss...the way it should look and the way we should decide on whether to add the cream now or later. jmho:grin3
Unless a sq IS NOT healthy perfectly from the get go..I do use HC...even the first feeding! and I have used GM once or twice!!http://www.perugiamurderfile.org/images/smilies/2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes__.gif

Maybe I wasn't clear, I felt like the contradiction poked at starting drama and it wasn't my intention. That was an apology. I quit!! I'm sorry!! Das it!! :crazy :crazy :grin3

sid'smommy
08-20-2013, 07:32 AM
hey guys at 4 o'clock this evening I'm going to take possession of them whether or not they have bloat at all I will fix it. this heavy cream a be eradicated will be on Fox Valley 32/40

Oh Thank you , Eric! Give that boy a HUGE high five for the great job he has done so far! Now, he will have time to really read up and study these awesome creatures so he will be prepared better the next time... and as we all know, there WILL be a next time! These little buggers will seek you out and find you when in need. They have telepathic ways of making people dial your phone number to come rescue them. Really, no joke... just wait and see :grin3

Nancy in New York
08-20-2013, 08:03 AM

Just to clarify, I think that when advising newbies about the GM formula,
it should be advised NOT to add the heavy cream when starting.
That's the way it's written in the nutrition section, and it's only for a matter of
a couple of days, so not a big deal if it's left out.
The new members may also not know what constitutes a perfectly healthy squirrel. :peace

eric taylor
08-20-2013, 08:27 AM

I agree Jackie the goal is to help him with his babies everyone has their own opinion that's exactly what it is An opinion. it's up to us to decide whether that opinion is right or wrong and do it. what works for me may not work for the next gUy but that doesn't make it right or wrong. I'm picking these little guys up here in about another 8 hours so that'll work out for you he's really really trying I spend all day on the phone with him trying to helping yesterday I spent almost 5 hours on the phone with him

eric taylor
08-20-2013, 08:29 AM
Oh Thank you , Eric! Give that boy a HUGE high five for the great job he has done so far! Now, he will have time to really read up and study these awesome creatures so he will be prepared better the next time... and as we all know, there WILL be a next time! These little buggers will seek you out and find you when in need. They have telepathic ways of making people dial your phone number to come rescue them. Really, no joke... just wait and see :grin3

;)

Unikorngrrl
08-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Joshua, Eric, what's going on with these kids?!?

Broth3rz
08-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Eric wasn't able to get here today either, he had a scare today, everything turned out fine but he will be here tomorrow, or so he says. :grin3

I've just been doing what I need to, feeding them and helping them potty each feed, keeping them toasty. No choking issues for days, and there won't be. Bloating on the girl is gone, guess it was some air she swallowed and you know how when they pee sometimes its a bubble instead of an actual dip, maybe that's how she got rid of that extra air? Either way bloating is gone. Gave them some water this last meal... I have to feed them again in 2.5 hours. No problems.

Here are a few pictures for whatever reason...

http://imgur.com/a/iFfKc

eric taylor
08-21-2013, 07:51 PM
josh done really well I have possession of is squirrels good job

sid'smommy
08-22-2013, 12:30 AM
josh done really well I have possession of is squirrels good job

:thumbsup good job Josh!

eric taylor
08-23-2013, 10:14 PM
His babies are doing wonderful, growing well, hydrated, and typical babies. I'm going to let him watch and learn with them so he gets some experience to it, I also think he done a hell of a job for having a 2 day crash coarse. He's eager to learn, which is fine, but any I know it all attitude can be checked at the door. He's picking things up quick and maybe by November he will have this down pat for him a certificate to hold:) I will keep them in my possession and let him come here everyday to learn, and when it's time for release I will let him do it! (since they are really his babies)
GOOD JOB JOSH!!!

Broth3rz
08-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Thanks.. it's just so unfortunate that I have to travel so far to see them, daily. :bash