PDA

View Full Version : Rehydration vs Feeding

ijustsavedasquirrel
08-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Okay I just found a baby squirrel, I estimate him to be about 5 weeks old.

I bought the Esbilac stuff, which cost a retarded amount of money if I might add, heavy cream and pedialyte.

I fed him a little water when I first found him, but I still think he's dehydrated. I fed him some of the diluted esbilac formula, but I now learned I shuld get him slightly more hydrated first.

I tried to to rub his balls to make him pee but he only pooped a little bit and it wasnt hard or solid by any means.

My question is this though, although I'm looking for tips, when I switch over to the esbilac formula do I still need to give him pedialyte? Or does he never need hydration from then on out?

Also, is there any easy way to make him pee/poop without making a total mess. Cause he really loves this freaking blanket I have and doesn't want to leave it, but at the same time, I don't want him to pee where he sleeps. So is there any way I can sorta hold him on a paper towel. I don't know tips appreciated.

I want to to make it clear. I'm not happy about this situation, I had plans to go out and everything, and this stupid squirrel had to be laying near the sidewalk this day.

He is in excellent health, no damage, I'm 99% positive that he has no trauma. He may have feel from a tree, but I found him in the grass a few feet from the concrete. Either way HE IS VERY LUCKY TO BE HERE.

I got to the pet store 5 minutes after it closes down, and he's lucky it was still open.

ty for ur help. Again, he seems slightly dehydrated i pulled the back of his neck up, but he seems fairly healthy to be honest.

ijustsavedasquirrel
08-18-2013, 07:08 PM
I want to update I just got him to drink about 4.5 CCs of Pedialyte. Is this a good amount? The back of his neck is staying up, but I personally feel like this is a good start. To me 4.5 ccs is on the higher end so I'm going to try and feed him again in about 45 min.

Again thanks guys, I named him Benjamin Da Squirrel. Although Ben Benny and Benjy are acceptable nicknames.

SammysMom
08-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Where are you in PA? We may be able to find help for you. Pedialyte is for only 24 hours or less due to high sodium. We really don't recommend Esbilac anymore as they changed their formula and it is o longer good for squirrels. It causes diarrhea. We really recommend goats milk formula made from human grade goats milk, full fat vanilla or plain yogurt and after several days heavy cream.

island rehabber
08-18-2013, 09:34 PM
This baby should definitely be raised with others his age, to make him a better candidate for life in the wild as a squirrel. :grin Let us help you hook up with one of our members in your area who is raising other baby squirrels. In the meantime, re-hydration continues over the first 48 hours. A baby will NOT eat well if he is not hydrated; dehydration causes lack of appetite. The more fluids you get him to take in, the better he will respond to the formula...

Fireweed
08-18-2013, 09:36 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41966-questions-about-feeding-and-other-things

Finder has another thread, link above. Keetz is planning on picking up the squirrel tomorrow. :thumbsup