PDA

View Full Version : Unlikely friends

clark5113
08-15-2013, 12:54 AM
This is what it must feel like at an AA meeting. "My name is Bob and I am a squirrel lover". Actually, I'm a "closet" squirrel lover (It's like riding a moped, It's a lot of fun but you don't want your friends to see you doing it).
I have been at war with these rascals for about 6 years. I have tried to eradicate their kind from the planet due to an incident wherein I was left stranded by a squirrel that had gotten under the hood of my prize 1970 Ford pickup and cut the wires to the solenoid. Prior to that I viewed squirrels as "tree rats" and further (where I am from) as "tasty morsels". That all changed one day about three months ago.
Upon returning home from work, my wife met me at the door and had her hands balled up under her chin. She said "I"m gonna show you something and you have to promise not to kill it". I crossed my fingers behind my back and chuckled "Ok". When she opened her hands I couldn't believe my eyes, THE ENEMY! Yep, it was a baby squirrel all rolled up in a fuzzy ball. She said "he was soaking wet and was squalling and I just couldn't leave him" (We had High winds that day followed by a chilling rain). "Where there any more"? "No, just this one". Good, good, I thought "the cat got em". I tried to reason with her "You don't have the time it takes to raise a baby and it'll probably die of shock anyway". "Well can I try"? The way she was looking at me reminded me of a little girl that wanted to keep a puppy that "followed" her home. "Ok, but it's your problem and when it matures, we're gonna release it right? "Ok". In retrospect that was a mistake.
The fall must have done neurological damage because he would ambulate to the right. Always to the right. So I told my wife "Don't get attached, cuz he probably ain't gonna make it".
Well guess what, he lived and he thrived. I was in school at the time so I had to tend to him. I fed him with a bottle and he would stand on his hind legs and hold it with his front paws. He was so cute. He would lift his arm so I could pet him and he would fall asleep under my chin. I named him "Scooter". Still, in the back of my mind, I knew he had to be released to do what squirrels do.
The time came (the age suggested by TSB) to let him go. We loaded up and drove to the mountain (Me, the wife and son, Scooter and a bag of pecans in the shell). We took him to the woods and opened the door of his cage. When he came out he seemed in awe of this big new world. He would nibble and hop and smell. I put him on a tree and he took off. We dumped out the nuts (to help him get established) and headed up the trail. By this time he was in the top of a 60 foot tree. Now, I had figured all we would see of him was his butt getting smaller and smaller. Well, we got about 30 yards up the trail and he came flying down that tree as fast as he could. About 12 feet from the bottom he fell out (scared my wife to death) and hit a big limb on the ground with a thud. We ran over and he was in a clearing and obviously addled. We stayed a little while longer and I tried to "shoo" him into the woods so he wouldn't be "hawk bait". He went in a little ways then ran right back out, (I'm not making this up and wouldn't believe it if someone told me) wrapped his arms around my ankle, and looked up as if to say "please don't leave me". What else could I do? We brought him back home. From what I understand, I've got a little friend for about 10 years.
Sadly, I fell in love. I say "sadly" because I'm a shell of my former self. I used to be a mans man, now, if I see a dead squirrel on the road, it breaks my heart. Before, I would just drive by without a second thought. I never was a "trophy" hunter but I'm not sure if I can even hunt for meat now. I "talk" to scooter in a high pitched voice that I'm sure would be nauseating to witness. The worst thing is the way that our cat (who is a world class squirrel slayer) looks at me through the window like I've lost my mind when Scooter is on my shoulder. Yep, it's sad. That woman (and Scooter) have ruined me.

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Obviously Creator saw something in you that you never allowed yourself...
That woman and Scooter has awakened your soul,
compassion is a far greater treasure then ignorance.
:Welcome to TSB

Unikorngrrl
08-15-2013, 02:05 AM
:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon I'm in tears!!! What a story!!! Bless your heart, your wife's heart and sweet little Scooter's heart!!! :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon :Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon :Love_Icon:Love_Icon :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grou phug

Unikorngrrl
08-15-2013, 02:06 AM
AND YOU'RE STILL A MAN'S MAN!!! Simply with a better outlook on life than many men will every have!!! And a love they'll never have for sure!!!

jbillings
08-15-2013, 02:24 AM
:Welcome I agree! You are still a mans man! More of one infact! It's amazing how a little interaction with these little fur-balls can completely change who we are! Scooter saw something in you that you didn't see in yourself! I'm glad you two found each other! :grouphug

newsquirrelmommy
08-15-2013, 05:57 AM
:WelcomeClark5113 & Scooter. Thanks for saving this little guy:grin2

farrelli
08-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Are you following the proper diet guide and feeding blocks:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

Please bring your cat inside. They kill so many peaceful innocent creatures every year it's shocking. They don't even do it for food, they just like to kill.

TubeDriver
08-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Congrats on discovering how cool squirrels are!

I am in the same boat as you. I race cars, build audio equipment, do security/counter terrorism instruction etc. A real man right? You should see me sweet talking my squirrels in a high pitched voice. :eek Even my wife thinks I am a little crazy and she also likes squirrels.

As I get older, I have become aware of how precious life (all life) is. Taking care and helping those who are weak, sick and alone does not make you any less of a man. It makes you a better person! :thumbsup

Unikorngrrl
08-15-2013, 11:05 AM

I am in the same boat as you. I race cars, build audio equipment, do security/counter terrorism instruction etc. A real man right? You should see me sweet talking my squirrels in a high pitched voice. :eek Even my wife thinks I am a little crazy and she also likes squirrels.

As I get older, I have become aware of how precious life (all life) is. Taking care and helping those who are weak, sick and alone does not make you any less of a man. It makes you a better person! :thumbsup

:goodpost:goodpost:goodpost:goodpost:goodpost:good post:goodpost:goodpost:goodpost:goodpost

lilidukes
08-15-2013, 11:16 AM
I love :Love_Icon love your introduction. What a wonderful story.

Most of us didn't wake up one morning and say I'd
just love to raise orphaned squirrels. Myself I think
we are chosen to do this and as much as we try to
get away from it it just keeps chasing us down.
Best to just not fight being chosen.

:Welcome:Welcome:Welcome to TSB looks like your
going to be around a while:thumbsup

Shewhosweptforest
08-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Wow :bowdown what can I say that hasn't been said already :thinking hey :poke it's like being a womanizer your whole life and then having all daughters :jump :rofl4

All kidding aside it's a wonderful thing when something happens in our lives and changes our perspective forever ...in a good way...although I wish I could be blind to road kill ..:shakehead that can really ruin a wonderful day/mood...but love is wonderful in all it's forms and nothing can replace that warm fuzzy feeling...it's the greatest addiction and it legal (well in some states) and it's not harmful to anyone:thumbsup

I think you're a real Man's Man it takes a big man to let his heart get stolen by a little soul and to become its Knight in Shinning Armor

Loved your story and thank you sooo much for sharing...these are the stories that renew my faith in mankind :bowdown :grouphug:Love_Icon

MollyBear361
08-15-2013, 12:39 PM
:grin2:grin2:grin2:grin2:grin2:grin2:grin2:grin2:g rin2:grin2:grin2

Bravo
08-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Welcome to TSB and what a great intro. I never took an interest in squirrels until one took an interest in me, several years ago... you and Scooter are in good company. :thumbsup

Fireweed
08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
Great story! :bowdown Hi, Scooter! And thanks for opening the hearts and minds of those you've touched with your fuzzy-self! :Love_Icon I hope we get to see more pics of you and hear more about your life! :poke

My husband is a Man's Man, too - can operate every kind of heavy equipment, builds choppers (motorbikes) from scratch, can fix anything, can build anything (roads, houses, squirrel nestboxes :grin), a mechanic, a machinist, etc. And yet you should see him melt at the sight of a fuzzy baby or speak to critters in a high-pitched voice--and he's got a different voice for every species, too. :grin2

There are few things more *manly* than a Man with Compassion, imo. :Love_Icon

Toddy
08-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Loved your story! :Welcome

Starfish
08-15-2013, 03:20 PM
*sniff,sniff*.

Don't worry. They do it to everyone. I actually heard my husband tell our squirrels that he loved them a few days ago. Although, I'm sure he would deny it (especially that one peed on him 2-3 minutes later :) ).

She and Scooter brought out what was inside of you.

clark5113
08-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Are you following the proper diet guide and feeding blocks:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

Please bring your cat inside. They kill so many peaceful innocent creatures every year it's shocking. They don't even do it for food, they just like to kill.

Yeah, I've got a fresh batch of blocks in the dehydrator but I feed him about 10 pecan halves a day and I know that's too much according to TSB but he won't touch commercial block (Kaytee). He also gets dandelion greens and clover. The cat inside wouldn't be healthy for scooter as I mentioned in my post "world class squirrel slayer" maybe a little exaggeration but not much.

Fireweed
08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
What kind of blocks are you making? Does he eat the ones you make?

clark5113
08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
What kind of blocks are you making? Does he eat the ones you make?

I get a mix from www.squirrelnutrition.com. You have to add a half a cup of pureed fruit to the mix then pat it out,cut it into squares and put into a dehydrator (or under a warming lamp/sun). Then put them in the freezer and feed one a day. He eats them if I give them first thing in the morning (nothing to eat for an hour before or after). He wouldn't touch the Kaytee brand.

clark5113
08-15-2013, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I watched my dad get soft as he aged too. I am embracing it but it's a cold world and natural selection is in effect. If you served (as I suspect) you know all about it.
Life (all life) IS precious. While it has been serendipitous so far I still feel like he (scooter) belongs in the woods. I would like to know what TSB experts think. Can he ever be released? I appreciate your post and empathy. Thanks

Nancy in New York
08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
How old was your little one when you first tried release?
You found him 3 months ago?
He is just precious, really precious.

Bravo
08-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Can he ever be released?

Others here can speak with more experience. If Scooter's been with you for 3 months- ish, he may still "wild up". He'll make that very clear. However, it sounds like visiting the forest 'cold turkey' was an intimidating experience, and he's bonding with you. It can go either way, and Scooter's the only one who knows.

Something to consider if you can't keep him, is that there may be a rehabber here who can take him for a 'soft release'.

clark5113
08-15-2013, 07:28 PM
How old was your little one when you first tried release?
You found him 3 months ago?
He is just precious, really precious.

Judging from TSB he was about 12-13 weeks and if I'm not mistaken that was the age for release that I read on TSB.

clark5113
08-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Others here can speak with more experience. If Scooter's been with you for 3 months- ish, he may still "wild up". He'll make that very clear. However, it sounds like visiting the forest 'cold turkey' was an intimidating experience, and he's bonding with you. It can go either way, and Scooter's the only one who knows.

Something to consider if you can't keep him, is that there may be a rehabber here who can take him for a 'soft release'.

I hope he will for his sake. I believe he would be happier in the top of a tree with other squirrels than on the wife's curtains. Not that she minds. He chewed the back of one of her dining room chairs and it was like, Oh well. What do you think would happen if I did that? (He's got more pull around here than I do). Maybe if we took him to "visit" the woods on occasion? Is that what a "soft release" is? Either way we love him and we'll keep him if necessary. He's has brought me a lot of joy and changed me as a person. Here is a more recent pic of scooter. He's very healthy and I give the credit to TSB, it is a wonderful resource.

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
Judging from TSB he was about 12-13 weeks and if I'm not mistaken that was the age for release that I read on TSB.

Although your initial intensions were in the right place, your method for release was not at all ideal. Just because a (captive) squirrel has reached a certain age of maturity unlike a wild it does not mean it is ready for the outside world.

There is a process called soft release that when applied in the proper manner assures they are ready and one can obtain a very successful release. With a soft release they are kept in a fairly spacious cage outside provided with a nest box, branches for climbing, etc. Your only interaction will be to provide food and water. This allows them time to disassociate with humans as they get used to the sights, smells and sounds around them. It also allows them time to wild up which is in their natural instinct. Ideally it should be done in an area where there are other squirrels as they will observe and learn from the activities of the others. A soft release not only insures their introduction back into the wild, it also ensures their best chance at survival.
After a period of time once the door is opened and they are set free, they are more then willing to become part of the pack and become a real squirrel free in the trees.

If your serious about wanting to release and are unable to do this process on your own we might be able to find a member that will be willing to do the process for you.

clark5113
08-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Welcome to TSB and what a great intro. I never took an interest in squirrels until one took an interest in me, several years ago... you and Scooter are in good company. :thumbsup

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome.

clark5113
08-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Although your initial intensions were in the right place, your method for release was not at all ideal. Just because a (captive) squirrel has reached a certain age of maturity unlike a wild it does not mean it is ready for the outside world.

There is a process called soft release that when applied in the proper manner assures they are ready and one can obtain a very successful release. With a soft release they are kept in a fairly spacious cage outside provided with a nest box, branches for climbing, etc. Your only interaction will be to provide food and water. This allows them time to disassociate with humans as they get used to the sights, smells and sounds around them. It also allows them time to wild up which is in their natural instinct. Ideally it should be done in an area where there are other squirrels as they will observe and learn from the activities of the others. A soft release not only insures their introduction back into the wild, it also ensures their best chance at survival.
After a period of time once the door is opened and they are set free, they are more then willing to become part of the pack and become a real squirrel free in the trees.

If your serious about wanting to release and are unable to do this process on your own we might be able to find a member that will be willing to do the process for you.

Are there any rehabbers in Chattanooga?

farrelli
08-15-2013, 08:12 PM
Personally, I don;t think you should feel too bad about keeping him. The outside world is harsh and a bitter end is in store for all wild squirrels. Predation, starvation, disease, injury - it's just ugly. It's a life of constant fear and struggle for survival. The outdoors offers a lot of good things, but as I've discussed with a few people here, the squirrels that you see on TSB are the only ones I've ever seen really having fun, playing, wrestling, getting groomed and grooming back - it seems to me to be a life of luxury. Your guy may "wild up" at some point (usually breeding season), but it seems that if you struggle through it for a few days, or maybe several weeks, they eventually "wild down". If your guy seems happy, why mess with success?

farrelli
08-15-2013, 08:16 PM
Btw, you might want to look into getting Henry's squirrel blocks:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

They're what people here swear by. I would really question the info given on the site that you referenced. I mean, I couldn't even make it past the first entry where he's bottle feeding a baby (a no-no as it often causes aspiration pneumonia) and in that bottle is cow's milk (which most humans don't even digest well - you have ti have a cultural history of dairy farming to have selected for the gene to produce the enzyme to break it down efficiently). A couple blocs a day are recommended and a bag will last a month. You can also order the ingredients and make your own with a recipe floating around on here somewhere. They're the only blocks specifically formulated for squirrels.

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Are there any rehabbers in Chattanooga?

I do think we have someone in Chatt, if not maybe nearby in Georgia.
I'm not sure who that might be at the moment but will try and check out resources.
Hope someone will be able to answer this...

Nancy in New York
08-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Just one other thing to add to what stepnstone's advice was.
12-13 weeks is really young for release, and exceptionally young for
a single. Ideally, the absolute youngest is
4 months.
I do believe that we have members in Tenn. I will double check on that tonight,
and let you know.
farrelli, has neglected to tell you what a commitement it is to keep a squirrel.
The expense and time involved in keeping one can comsume you. It is a commitment like no other.
Many may keep one, but to keep them happy is a 24/7 job.
If you give them a choice and let them decide, most choose freedom.
Also when they get older they usually will seek out only one caretaker and can become quite
"possessive" over the one they choose.
Never let them around other pets or children either.
They can and do attack you out of the blue for NO reason, and
they can bite to the bone.
Take a look at some of the threads around here.
Rama's thread is a good start http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?27141-Rama-Rota-The-King-of-Costa-Rica

Nancy in New York
08-15-2013, 09:09 PM
I sent out three pm's to possible members in your area.
I will let you know if I hear back. :grouphug

farrelli
08-15-2013, 09:15 PM
Yes, they are a big commitment, but most people here make it willingly. The following is what I wrote yesterday to someone asking about keeping a squirrel as a pet:

They'll always be wild, the diet is expensive, you'll have to give it a big cage, lots of toys, lots of attention, and tons of out of cage time (most people either give them their own room or run of the house when they're home). They're extremely high maintenance, they chew everything, it's almost impossible to find a vet because they're illegal in most every state, you can't travel because it's hard to find a squirrel sitter, and you can't tell anybody about it for fear that they will report you and have it seized. You will sometimes get bitten, hard, they're moody, a couple times or more a year they may get very nasty for a few days or even months during breeding season (they mellow with age), and they will poop everywhere. At best, you might be able toget them to pee relatively consistently in somewhat the same spot. Having said all that, however, most people wouldn't change a thing and love their babies with no equal. Just know what you're getting into.

Btw, it's my opinion that most squirrels eventually leave because they get involved in a highly stimulating new world and by the time the adjust, have forgotten about how good they had it at home.

Nancy in New York
08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Yes, they are a big commitment, but most people here make it willingly. The following is what I wrote yesterday to someone asking about keeping a squirrel as a pet:

They'll always be wild, the diet is expensive, you'll have to give it a big cage, lots of toys, lots of attention, and tons of out of cage time (most people either give them their own room or run of the house when they're home). They're extremely high maintenance, they chew everything, it's almost impossible to find a vet because they're illegal in most every state, you can't travel because it's hard to find a squirrel sitter, and you can't tell anybody about it for fear that they will report you and have it seized. You will sometimes get bitten, hard, they're moody, a couple times or more a year they may get very nasty for a few days or even months during breeding season (they mellow with age), and they will poop everywhere. At best, you might be able toget them to pee relatively consistently in somewhat the same spot. Having said all that, however, most people wouldn't change a thing and love their babies with no equal. Just know what you're getting into.

Btw, it's my opinion that most squirrels eventually leave because they get involved in a highly stimulating new world and by the time the adjust, have forgotten about how good they had it at home.
Fantastic post!!!!!!!
I once wrote about Jeffrey, I really didn't think he wanted to be released into the wild, perhaps just a large shopping mall that gave him more choices of where to run and bury his nuts.
Funny that you mention about them forgetting how good they had it at home. I have had birds, actually a blue jay, and a released squirrel of a couple of months both return home when they were hurt.........so something makes me think they remember.
AND no, we are not counting Fluffer in that.:grin
I also have a released robin that returns every summer for the past 5-6 years. CritterMom, keetz, Maura, and Abby (maybe astra too, I think she saw him) have been here when he has come back, he seeks us out
by the pool when we are outside, and then walks back to the door with us, because he knows he will get worms.

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Just one other thing to add to what stepnstone's advice was.
12-13 weeks is really young for release, and exceptionally young for
a single. Ideally, the absolute youngest is
4 months.
I do believe that we have members in Tenn. I will double check on that tonight,
and let you know.
farrelli, has neglected to tell you what a commitement it is to keep a squirrel.
The expense and time involved in keeping one can comsume you. It is a commitment like no other.
Many may keep one, but to keep them happy is a 24/7 job.
If you give them a choice and let them decide, most choose freedom.
Also when they get older they usually will seek out only one caretaker and can become quite
"possessive" over the one they choose.
Never let them around other pets or children either.
They can and do attack you out of the blue for NO reason, and
they can bite to the bone.
Take a look at some of the threads around here.
Rama's thread is a good start http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?27141-Rama-Rota-The-King-of-Costa-Rica

Thank you Nancy for your input. :grouphug
I personally can not advocate keeping an otherwise healthy wild animal in captivity regardless of the perils of the outside world anymore then I could lock up my own child to protect him from the outside world of insanity full of predators, murderers, child molesters or any other scum of the earth that goes on outside my door. Just as he deserves to experience his life beyond my fears and protection, every wild animal deserves to experience theirs as nature intended.
Whether we are parents of children or caretakers of other species, it is my personal belief we have been chosen to nurture, not dominate.

jbillings
08-15-2013, 10:02 PM
In some wonderful cases, such as my own with Charlie, you and them get the best of both worlds! If you release them close by, you both get your freedom while still having the privlege of seeing them daily and making sure that they are healthy and happy! It is sometimes scary when they disappear on you for days at a time but in the big picture of it all, it's whats best for both of you! That's just my 2 cents! :grin2

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 10:40 PM
In some wonderful cases, such as my own with Charlie, you and them get the best of both worlds! If you release them close by, you both get your freedom while still having the privlege of seeing them daily and making sure that they are healthy and happy! It is sometimes scary when they disappear on you for days at a time but in the big picture of it all, it's whats best for both of you! That's just my 2 cents! :grin2

This is how it is with my Paxton, I still see him quite often and I see how happy he is being
as nature intended him to be. Do I worry about him at times, certainly! Do I have regrets
about releasing him, not at all! He is a squirrel and he is doing as all squirrels do, his life is
as Creator intended. He is free...

clark5113
08-15-2013, 11:03 PM
This is how it is with my Paxton, I still see him quite often and I see how happy he is being
as nature intended him to be. Do I worry about him at times, certainly! Do I have regrets
about releasing him, not at all! He is a squirrel and he is doing as all squirrels do, his life is
as Creator intended. He is free...

You have a good setup. We are going back to the mountain this weekend and will let him run and see what happens.

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 11:34 PM
You have a good setup. We are going back to the mountain this weekend and will let him run and see what happens.

clark besides rushing his release, I think your missing the point about the advantages for the squirrel on doing a soft release. Taking him to the mountains and expecting him to take off and know how to survive just isn't right. In the wild his momma would have shown him the ropes, if he gets scared and just takes off he's just going to be lost in a world he knows nothing about let alone how to survive. Please consider doing a soft release or have someone else do it.

My set-up isn't ideal at all, I live in a town home with a postage stamp back yard. I'm just fortunate that I back up to a large field that holds the city water tower surrounded by trees and holds a boat load of squirrels. Paxton was released much older and he was kept in his release cage close to 30 days, that is what I have to contribute to his successful release.

Nancy in New York
08-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Yes as step has said please don't rush into anything.
I found a member in Chattanooga who is going to contact you, so please hold on. :thumbsup

stepnstone
08-15-2013, 11:54 PM
I found a member in Chattanooga who is going to contact you, so please hold on. :thumbsup

Thank you Nancy!!
Please be open to help with a proper release clark.
You've done good with this precious baby so far,
let his freedom be focused on continued survival.

farrelli
08-16-2013, 12:08 AM
Also please don't be pressured into release. As nature intended? I'm not quite sure what nature intended, but I do know that the state of a life in nature is "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short," to use a famous phrase. If he has already chosen home life, and shows no signs of wanting more, why change the state of things? You love him, he loves you, he's content and happy, so what is the point of foisting change where none seems to be necessitated?

stepnstone
08-16-2013, 03:39 AM
Still, in the back of my mind, I knew he had to be released to do what squirrels do.
The time came (the age suggested by TSB) to let him go. We loaded up and drove to the mountain (Me, the wife and son, Scooter and a bag of pecans in the shell). We took him to the woods and opened the door of his cage.

I believe he would be happier in the top of a tree with other squirrels than on the wife's curtains.

We are going back to the mountain this weekend and will let him run and see what happens.

Personally I don't understand where educating one on soft release and offering to help with a proper release comes under "pressuring" one to do what has obviously been and is their own intentions.

Baxied
08-16-2013, 05:39 AM
Clark, I am in Chattanooga and willing to help with a soft release for your little guy. Please, please do not take him to the mountains and let him run. To release him that way would be cruel and make survival extremely difficult for him. I have a release cage in my backyard and lots of wooded acreage behind my house. I will keep him in the cage for at least 4 weeks to acclimate him to his surroundings and then open the door. He will be able to come and go at his leisure but still have the safety of the cage and the food resources that I will provide for him. I've released lots of squirrels here and many still return to my deck each morning looking for their daily handouts.:grin

island rehabber
08-16-2013, 07:07 AM
clark5113, you ROCK, and there is nothing sexier than a man who loves animals -- especially little wild ones. :Love_Icon
I know, I've lived with one for 27 years: he's a boater, an engineer, can fix anything/build anything/remodel anything and has been known to utter completely politically incorrect statements on a daily basis:grin.....BUT! He loves squirrels and swans and every other one of God's creatures and would risk his own life to help them.

Welcome to TSB! Whether Scooter can ever be released will be up to Scooter. THe problem last time is you were attempting a "hard release": drop the squirrel off and run. That almost never works with squirrels. A proper soft release -- read all about it here on TSB -- could actually work for him.
:thumbsup

EDIT: Just saw Baxied's post above me -- awesome! That's what I'm talking about!

Nancy in New York
08-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Clark, I am in Chattanooga and willing to help with a soft release for your little guy. Please, please do not take him to the mountains and let him run. To release him that way would be cruel and make survival extremely difficult for him. I have a release cage in my backyard and lots of wooded acreage behind my house. I will keep him in the cage for at least 4 weeks to acclimate him to his surroundings and then open the door. He will be able to come and go at his leisure but still have the safety of the cage and the food resources that I will provide for him. I've released lots of squirrels here and many still return to my deck each morning looking for their daily handouts.:grin

Thank you Baxied for giving this little one a shot.
With all of your experience, I know that he will be in
excellent hands. You will know if he's ready, and if not you
will know that too. There is no doubt you will do the right thing
for this little one. At least he is given a choice.
Can't ask for anything better. :bowdown

TubeDriver
08-16-2013, 10:51 AM

^^^^^^^^ This

-Clark, this is exactly what your little squirrel needs to be successful out there in the wild. I am also in the camp of releasing a healthy squirrel back into the wild. While I certainly do not have a problem with someone who decides to keep a squirrel, I think (all things being equal) it is better for a squirrel to live wild and free in the trees.

Just dropping of a young squirrel in the forest is almost the worst thing you could do. Your little friend needs time to adapt to his new surroundings and having a release cage that he can return to at night will help him to survive till he can get his bearings. Baxied's offer if perfect for your little friend. Plus, if your squirrel decides to stay in the area, Baxied can probably send you pics as your squirrel get older! :thumbsup

Garden71
08-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Just read your post and you just made a grown man :Cry
Please take the advice here and do a soft release. There are a lot of members here at TSB that can help you.
Sorry I forgot :Welcome

clark5113
08-16-2013, 10:18 PM

I didn't mean I was going to turn him loose. I was just going to let him "stretch his legs" and explore for a while. Would that be "kosher"?

TubeDriver
08-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I didn't mean I was going to turn him loose. I was just going to let him "stretch his legs" and explore for a while. Would that be "kosher"?

Sometimes a squirrel will run out and play around in the trees for hours before returning. There are countless stories of people letting their squirrels out for a bit and then having to wait a day or two before the squirrel returns home thirsty and hungry (and sometimes injured). So the issue is whether you can hang around for hours or even a day or two if your squirrel happens to take a while before he looks for his home. Make no mistake, he will want to return home, the question is will you be there 3-4 hours+ (or even a day or two) when he shows up looking for you?

My recommendation based on what I have seen here is to keep him inside for now until you are ready to put him in a soft release cage and start the process of "wilding" him up. Having a wild animal as a friend is sort of two edged sword, you get to experience a truly cool bond that is rare but you also take on a responsibility to care for and protect your wild friend.

farrelli
08-16-2013, 10:43 PM
We very much recommend NOT allowing a squirrel any time outdoors outside of a cage before they have been made ready through the soft release process. Doing otherwise often results is misadventure and tragedy.

Nancy in New York
08-16-2013, 11:11 PM
I agree that letting him out to stretch his legs is a huge mistake.
You may not intend to release, but let a blue jay shriek, or him get scared
by something else, and chances are you may not see him for days, if at all.
It's happened way too many times.
Baxied has made a fantastic offer, and I believe Lennysmom was also
going to contact you.
No pressure, I promise. Take time to think it over, I'm sure the offer will be good
down the line too.
Just please let him stretch his legs either on a harness, (which I don't like, or recommend, but it is better than nothing), or in a outdoor release cage.....just
not loose though.

sid'smommy
08-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Also please don't be pressured into release. As nature intended? I'm not quite sure what nature intended, but I do know that the state of a life in nature is "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short," to use a famous phrase. If he has already chosen home life, and shows no signs of wanting more, why change the state of things? You love him, he loves you, he's content and happy, so what is the point of foisting change where none seems to be necessitated?

Agree^^^ Didnt you say that this baby had neuro damage? If thats the case, he can never be released ...:nono. Besides all that, you would be miserable without him :(

clark5113
08-16-2013, 11:39 PM
clark5113, you ROCK, and there is nothing sexier than a man who loves animals -- especially little wild ones. :Love_Icon
I know, I've lived with one for 27 years: he's a boater, an engineer, can fix anything/build anything/remodel anything and has been known to utter completely politically incorrect statements on a daily basis:grin.....BUT! He loves squirrels and swans and every other one of God's creatures and would risk his own life to help them.

Welcome to TSB! Whether Scooter can ever be released will be up to Scooter. THe problem last time is you were attempting a "hard release": drop the squirrel off and run. That almost never works with squirrels. A proper soft release -- read all about it here on TSB -- could actually work for him.
:thumbsup

EDIT: Just saw Baxied's post above me -- awesome! That's what I'm talking about!

In regard to the "hard release" I was just plain ignorant. I assumed he would take to the woods like a duck to water. During my time with him he has exhibited instinctive behaviors (such as burying nuts in the sheets [and my hair] then "covering them up with his little hands) and I figured he knew what to do naturally. I knew I was wrong when,during the release, he lingered in a clearing for way to long. If a hawk had been near it would have been too bad for Scooter. I'm Learning. I think I know what you (and the others) mean by "it will be up to Scooter". He's been getting cantankerous lately. He makes a "chattering" noise that is the equivalent of a rattlesnake buzz. He lays those ears down flat and he is ready to attack. I believe that is part of the "wilding up" and mating season disposition I've read about on TSB. He has the run of the house during the day but stays in one room mostly. You may not believe this but he is paper trained. The bottom line is that we love him and want what is best for him. I tend to think that "best" is being with his own kind but we are prepared for either eventuality. I appreciate the confidence boost and the input from yourself and everyone else.

clark5113
08-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Sometimes a squirrel will run out and play around in the trees for hours before returning. There are countless stories of people letting their squirrels out for a bit and then having to wait a day or two before the squirrel returns home thirsty and hungry (and sometimes injured). So the issue is whether you can hang around for hours or even a day or two if your squirrel happens to take a while before he looks for his home. Make no mistake, he will want to return home, the question is will you be there 3-4 hours+ (or even a day or two) when he shows up looking for you?

My recommendation based on what I have seen here is to keep him inside for now until you are ready to put him in a soft release cage and start the process of "wilding" him up. Having a wild animal as a friend is sort of two edged sword, you get to experience a truly cool bond that is rare but you also take on a responsibility to care for and protect your wild friend.

Point taken. Scooter will remain inside for now and thanks for (to all) for the input.

farrelli
08-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Did I miss something about neuro issues? I thought he was perfectly healthy. Has he really been evaluated? No head tilt, balance issues, circling, tremors, etc?

clark5113
08-16-2013, 11:54 PM
[QUOTE=sid'smommy;917001]Agree^^^ Didnt you say that this baby had neuro damage? If thats the case, he can never be released ...:nono. Besides all that, you would be miserable without him :([/QUOTE

Yes we would but I feel bad for him when he's stretched out looking out the picture window. It makes me think that outside is where he wants to be. He doesn't pull to the right any more but does seem unsteady at times. Like when he's eating and standing. he seems to teeter a bit. It may be normal, I don't know. He is otherwise very agile.

farrelli
08-17-2013, 12:04 AM
Then you need to be REALLY sure before any kind of release. Look around the site, most squirrels can seemingly be made to be very happy indoors. They may wild up, but usually calm down again after breeding passes. If he's compromised, he will get bullied, picked on, lack for resources, etc. He may or may not want the outdoors right now, but lots of people also long for things that will prove disastrous to them. You'd need to weigh a life of longing which is filled with luxuries vs. one filled with deprivation. But again, that's if he's compromised.

I just helped a goose today that almost certainly would have lead a short and ugly life if not for intervention. Nature is overly romanticized in my opinion.

clark5113
08-17-2013, 01:08 AM
*sniff,sniff*.

Don't worry. They do it to everyone. I actually heard my husband tell our squirrels that he loved them a few days ago. Although, I'm sure he would deny it (especially that one peed on him 2-3 minutes later :) ).

She and Scooter brought out what was inside of you.

Hi Starfish. I didn't perceive you as preachy. On the contrary, I appreciate the time you spent to go into detail about squirrel care. I am computer illiterate so this is the only way I knew to contact you. Thanks

TubeDriver
08-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Point taken. Scooter will remain inside for now and thanks for (to all) for the input.

I, like you and most other people, knew absolutely nothing about squirrels till fairly recently after I started reading up on this board. As you learn more about them, you will find that they are absolutely the toughest, most stubborn, but fun loving little ninjas. They face incredible dangers/predators, live with injuries that would stop us in our tracks, but always live life to the fullest and in the moment.

TubeDriver
08-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Clark,

One more thing...here is a thread where someone gave a member their squirrels over in order to provide a nice soft release. You can read about the process and see what a soft release cage looks like.

Link:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?41912-Jasmine-Scooter-and-Max-are-headed-to-their-forever-home-)&p=916999#post916999

clark5113
02-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Scooter is gone.
He died between 0230 and 1000. I went to check on him and his tuke didn't move. Usually, he would launch out of his tuke at the sound of my voice. As I type, tears stream down my face. My soul is crushed. I don't know what killed him. We just played and played the day before and he was as healthy as a horse. There was absolutely nothing wrong with him. He simply died in his sleep with his little head between his paws like always.
I want to thank everyone who helped me with him when I was squirrel ignorant. There were several but the one I consulted most was Step-n-stone (I think that was his handle). Thank you all for putting up with my ignorance. I stopped coming to the board because I didn't want to be 'found out' by the Fish and Game people who would, apparently, take him and euthanize him which I still don't understand.
I have been a hunter since I was old enough to carry a gun. I can say unequivocally that a squirrel is THE most paranoid and skittish animal in the forest. That is why I was perpetually amazed that this animal would seek me out for affection. I would let him out in the morning after our breakfast and he would run around the house. Then he would invariably come and climb into the bed with me. We would wrestle a bit (he loved that and I have a video I hope I can find) then he would let me pet him and he would raise up his arm and I would rub his shoulder joint. These times touched my very soul. It was as if me and "rabbit" (I renamed him somewhere down the line) were the only two in the world. I believe he made me a better man. A rodent made me a better man (the Lord definitely works in mysterious ways).
The Lord put him in my life for four years and I expected at least 6 more. That is why it came as such a shock. My first thought was "I wonder if I will see him again in heaven"? It made me feel like a little kid and I thought I was losing it. I appreciate you folks putting up with me one last time. I knew y'all could understand where I am coming from where no one else can. Peace,

Nancy in New York
02-20-2017, 09:59 PM
Oh Clark I'm so very sorry to read this.
I take comfort in knowing that little Scooter
was loved, and happy. I hope you do as well.
They seem to get inside us, and take a huge part
of us when they have to leave.

We know the emptiness and the heartache that comes
with loving a little one that most likely will leave before
us, yet we open our hearts anyway.

I'm so very sorry that you lost your little Buddy.

Rest in Peace
Precious Scooter/("rabbit")284876

Shewhosweptforest
02-20-2017, 10:05 PM
:hug Oh no.....I'm sooo sorry :boohoo I know you must be in shock and disbelief:shakehead sometimes we have no idea what happened...you must hold on to the fact that Scooter/Rabbit was loved...and loved well :Love_Icon there is never "enough" time...they truly are magic lil emissaries...they reconnect us with the world....the real world...not the artificial world so many live in today :sadness I hope you can find comfort knowing he lived longer than he ever would have in the wild..and that he experienced love, safety, and nurturing he would never have without you :hug

lukaslolamaus
02-20-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug
R.I.P. sweet little boy :Love_Icon
My heart is breaking for you, I just lost my 3 1/2 year old Toby last week.

KarmaKay
02-20-2017, 10:30 PM
So sorry for the loss of your beloved friend. I completely agree with the specialness of receiving the love of a squirrel. There's really nothing else like it. I truly believe you'll see him in heaven!

lennysmom
02-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Oh Clark, just read through some of your story with Scooter and I am so very sorry for your loss.:sadness He sounds like he changed your life for the good, just as much as you changed his.:Love_Icon Praying you find comfort in knowing what a good life you gave him.:grouphug Godspeed sweet Scooter.:sad

stepnstone
02-21-2017, 12:42 AM
2/20/2017~
I believe he made me a better man. A rodent made me a better man (the Lord definitely works in mysterious ways).
And my first words to you were....
8/15/2013~
Obviously Creator saw something in you that you never allowed yourself...

I'm so very sorry Clark, it really saddens me to read of Scooter's passing....
I do believe Creator gifted you for a reason, I believe Scooter was the messenger.
While you may wonder why his young life had to be released to heaven, you must
also trust that some are sent among us only briefly because Creator knows some
have spirits meant to fly. I hope you will continue to embrace the awakening of
your soul with all that Scooter left behind. :grouphug

~ Fly high with the Angels sweet Scooter and rest in the arms of Creator ~ :Love_Icon

TubeDriver
02-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Gods Speed Scooter Rabbit. :grouphug

The thought "I believe he made me a better man. A rodent made me a better man (the Lord definitely works in mysterious ways)." is what I have experienced too. A little squirrel opened my heart and showed me how incredibly special all wild animals are. Squirrel magic! Sounds goofy but it is potent!

Although Scooter passed too soon, take comfort in the knowledge that he passed peacefully in his sleep. Many squirrels have to endure far more before passing over. Nobody really knows what happens after we leave this life but if there is something afterwords then it only makes sense that all life be included. Certainly, there would be a place for a creature as noble as a squirrel.

:grouphug

clark5113
02-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Gods Speed Scooter Rabbit. :grouphug

The thought "I believe he made me a better man. A rodent made me a better man (the Lord definitely works in mysterious ways)." is what I have experienced too. A little squirrel opened my heart and showed me how incredibly special all wild animals are. Squirrel magic! Sounds goofy but it is potent!

Although Scooter passed too soon, take comfort in the knowledge that he passed peacefully in his sleep. Many squirrels have to endure far more before passing over. Nobody really knows what happens after we leave this life but if there is something afterwords then it only makes sense that all life be included. Certainly, there would be a place for a creature as noble as a squirrel.

I remember you from when I first got Scooter, Thanks for sharing. "Squirrel magic" may sound goofy and if you had used that term around me before Scooter, I would have scoffed (on the inside) and thought you an idiot. Now however I KNOW it is extremely accurate. Noble is also a perfect word. There is no animal as noble as a squirrel.

Baxied
02-21-2017, 07:00 PM

clark5113
02-21-2017, 09:29 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug
R.I.P. sweet little boy :Love_Icon
My heart is breaking for you, I just lost my 3 1/2 year old Toby last week.
I am sorry to hear that and I know how you feel. The folks on this board have made me feel better about it by focusing on the positive aspects that, at the time, were hard to see. I get it now. It is all part of the Creator's plan and it is absolutely amazing. I would never have guessed. Thank you for your sentiments :grouphug

Mel1959
02-21-2017, 09:59 PM
We are never the same after being touched by squirrel magic. Scooter Rabbit was very lucky to have chosen you to be the one he touched. I am very sorry for your loss. :Love_Icon:grouphug:Love_Icon

stepnstone
02-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Thank you for your kind message Bob. Experienced yes, wise is debatable...:gigg
Truth be known my understanding came from your initial post, some souls just
understand each other. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hand-gestures/peace-out-sign-smiley-emoticon.gif to you as well..

clark5113
02-23-2017, 10:19 AM
Final communique:

A sincere thank you to everyone from myself and Scoot Rabbit. You folks made it possible for 4 years of life changing squirrel magic. A special thanks to Russell (we have already said our goodbyes) for putting up with my incessant questions. I won't ever be on here again so no replies please. Never, that is, unless I happen to come across another squirrel to rescue...................

stepnstone
02-23-2017, 11:46 AM
Final communique:

A sincere thank you to everyone from myself and Scoot Rabbit. You folks made it possible for 4 years of life changing squirrel magic. A special thanks to Russell (we have already said our goodbyes) for putting up with my incessant questions. I won't ever be on here again so no replies please. Never, that is, unless I happen to come across another squirrel to rescue...................
Well damn! I don't understand, we're still here.... :tap