PDA

View Full Version : Injured Squirrel - Need Advice

Bella Red
08-10-2013, 06:46 PM
A squirrel that I feed showed up a few days ago and it appeared he had either gotten clipped by a car or attacked by an animal.

His tail was broken in half and hanging on by a thread (of skin?), his left wrist was swollen, and he had various injuries on his ankle/leg. He was walking and using his left arm but I could see a noticeable difference in the size of the wrist (definitely swollen).

A few days have passed and he showed up today for some food. His tail has broken off. The injury that has me worried is his arm. He is no longer using it to walk though he will use it to hold a nut.

I got some photos which are attached.

I need some guidance, please. Do I leave him alone? Do I bring him to a wildlife vet? I am not working so I don't know how I would pay for that. And if I don't pay, I don't think the vet will treat him and give him back so I could release him back into my yard.

Though I am an active animal advocate, I am new to squirrels and wildlife (most of my experience is with companion animals, mainly dogs and with factory farming issues).

Thank you in advance for any advice or help. I truly appreciate it.

SammysMom
08-10-2013, 06:52 PM
Well, capturing him would be a very stressful project for this guy. If it is possible to just give him some good healthy nutrition and to keep an eye on him, I would probably do that. They have amazing recuperative powers! Thank-you for caring for this poor guy. His shortened tail will distinguish him from all others and won't hurt him a bit!:Love_Icon:Love_Icon:Love_Icon

lovesmice
08-10-2013, 07:39 PM
We had a squirrel with half a tail and another with a broken front hand and an eye swollen shut. The half tail squirrel never seemed bothered, and the one with the broken hand and swollen eye did improve. I made sure to give him food such as the nuts already shelled and easy to eat stuff.

Jackie in Tampa
08-11-2013, 06:26 AM
:Welcome Welcome to TSB!
it does look like a car hit injury, only guessing.
Seems to be on the upswing... thinking he'll be okay on his own..juvy male.
I am also in the Tampa Bay area, south Tampa...where are you?

Starfish
08-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Since you want him to heal quickly, here is some nutritional info for you: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?39275-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels-(Revised-2-13)

Maybe try gathering some of the approved wild foods for him to not have to work so hard. :grin3

While we're giving tips: do not give him peanuts (maybe 1 or two). Squirrels love them but they mold easily and the mold formed is extremely dangerous. So if you give him one 1 or two already shelled, he's more likely to eat it then as a treat then to save it for later.

:Welcome:Welcome

Bella Red
08-11-2013, 11:34 AM
:Welcome Welcome to TSB!
it does look like a car hit injury, only guessing.
Seems to be on the upswing... thinking he'll be okay on his own..juvy male.
I am also in the Tampa Bay area, south Tampa...where are you?

I used to live in South Tampa - love it there! I am currently living in New Port Richey while I finish up my degree at St. Petersburg College (went back to school after a million years). I will most likely transfer to USF next spring and hope to move back to South Tampa at that time.

I am in Tampa at least once a week because all my friends and favorite places are there; was just there yesterday as a matter of fact.

Thanks for the welcome - I am learning so much here!

Bella Red
08-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. You have all made me feel a lot better about his situation and chances for healing/survival.

And thank you, Starfish, for the nutritional chart. I printed it out and will refer to it often. It's going on the fridge!

Shewhosweptforest
08-11-2013, 11:49 AM
:Welcome and :thankyou for taking care of this sweet baby...he's lucky to have you in his corner:thumbsup:Love_Icon